• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

First time builder please critique.

osok11

n00b
Joined
Jul 10, 2007
Messages
18
I want to use this computer strictly for gaming and my aim is to "future proof" this machine for atleast 3-4 years or at least to get the least amount of upgrades during that time span. There will be no over clocking...maybe in the future when i feel like i know enough to do so. Please keep in mind i have never built a computer before.

Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5 - i'm having trouble picking cases its either this for the antec p182b which would you recommend for me?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119068

Processor:Q6600-yes i know about the july22 price drop
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

Mobo: ABIT IP35 PRO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127030

Video:evga 8800gts 640
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130071

PSU: Corsair 620HX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139002

Ram:Corsair xms2 ddr2 800
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145590

HD:Seagate 320gb 7200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148140
 
The P180B has far better airflow and will be quieter.

Everything else looks solid. I don't really know much about the Abit P35 board -- Gigabyte and ASUS appear to be much more popular -- but it should be fine as well.
 
I'd go with the Antec P180 + 5 Yate Loon 120mm fans voltmodded to 5v (Its pretty easy I believe) as your case instead.

I'd get out of that Abit board and use an ASUS P5B/K Deluxe Board or a Gigabyte 965P board (The 965P-DS3 rev 3.3 can handle the quad and is a bargain)

Everything else looks solid. I have the Antec P180, and trust me, it will be a WHOLE LOT NICER to build your computer.
 
I'd go with the Antec P180 + 5 Yate Loon 120mm fans voltmodded to 5v (Its pretty easy I believe) as your case instead.

I'd get out of that Abit board and use an ASUS P5B/K Deluxe Board or a Gigabyte 965P board (The 965P-DS3 rev 3.3 can handle the quad and is a bargain)

Everything else looks solid. I have the Antec P180, and trust me, it will be a WHOLE LOT NICER to build your computer.

Don't really need to voltmod the Yate Loons -- they're pretty quiet at 12v, far as I can tell (and I have them on a fan controller that I've since decided really isn't necessary...)

Only really need 4 fans. Not even sure where you'd mount the 5th. They're cheap, though, and I guess it's always good to have a spare.
 
I'd go with the Antec P180 + 5 Yate Loon 120mm fans voltmodded to 5v (Its pretty easy I believe) as your case instead.

I'd get out of that Abit board and use an ASUS P5B/K Deluxe Board or a Gigabyte 965P board (The 965P-DS3 rev 3.3 can handle the quad and is a bargain)

Everything else looks solid. I have the Antec P180, and trust me, it will be a WHOLE LOT NICER to build your computer.

i'll take your advice on the antec but are p35 motherboards even worth it right now? when will the new chips come out and be accessible to the masses? in 5-8years?

awesome news :D i have about 200 left over from my budget. Now...the question is
is the extra 200 worth it to upgrade to the 8800gtx 768
 
Then all you need are these. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145526

Also you can further save money and improve power efficienty by getting the Corsair HX520 instead of the 620.


If you're going P965, do yourself a favor by staying away from Gigabyte's colorblind product coordinator and get this instead http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136034&Tpk=dfi+p965

what he said. and i wouldn't bother with the gtx. you can always stepup if you change your mind in the next three months.
 
Step Up is a really poor plan considering that the 8800 series is now retailing for well below MSRP... so you'll be paying a good $150-200 more than just buying the higher end card. Step Up means you pay the difference between the purchase price of the card you have and the MSRP for the higher end card you want to replace it.

Not saying "you need a GTX" but... if you want one, it's probably a good idea to buy one first, rather than via Step Up from a GTS.
 
Gigabyte Color - Blindness? I have no idea what that means, but i have a 965p-ds3 gigabyte mobo on my rig and it works fine.

I say run 5 fans in the antec, 2 in the front, one between the psu and the hdd, one in the back and one on the top. That way, you have something cooling the motherboard and ram, the motherboard and vid card, the hdd, the psu, and some exhaust ones.
 
I say run 5 fans in the antec, 2 in the front, one between the psu and the hdd, one in the back and one on the top. That way, you have something cooling the motherboard and ram, the motherboard and vid card, the hdd, the psu, and some exhaust ones.

Wasn't thinking about that -- I can't run but 4 without modding the case, because the length of the 8800 GTX forces me to remove the middle drive cage. Doesn't matter that much, though. Still plenty of mounting points.
 
I recommend getting this motherboard since you're planning not to upgrade for a while:
GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R Intel P35 Motherboard - $155

The GA-P35C-DS3R supports both DDR2 and DDR3 RAM so when DDR3 RAM prices becomes significantly lower, you can easily upgrade to it. You can also upgrade to the the newer Yorkfield and Wolfdale CPUs as well.

Oh and if you still want the P182, here's where you can get it for cheaper:
Antec P182 ATX Case - $125

If you do get the P182, replace the stock fans with some of the Yate Loons people have recommended:
120mm Yate Loon D12SL-12 Case Fan - $3.50

As for the GTX VS GTS issue you're having, stick with the 640GTS. Video cards depreciates the fastest out of all PC parts. The GTS offers nice balance of price to performance. So save your money and stay with the GTS.

No need for such expensive RAM since you're not going to overclock:
G.SKILL F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ 2 x 1GB DDR2 800 RAM - $90

As for your attempt at "future proofing", it's futile. You can never really future proof a PC. The best you can do is make it easier for upgrades.
 
I recommend getting this motherboard since you're planning not to upgrade for a while:
GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R Intel P35 Motherboard - $155

The GA-P35C-DS3R supports both DDR2 and DDR3 RAM so when DDR3 RAM prices becomes significantly lower, you can easily upgrade to it. You can also upgrade to the the newer Yorkfield and Wolfdale CPUs as well.

Oh and if you still want the P182, here's where you can get it for cheaper:
Antec P182 ATX Case - $125

If you do get the P182, replace the stock fans with some of the Yate Loons people have recommended:
120mm Yate Loon D12SL-12 Case Fan - $3.50

As for the GTX VS GTS issue you're having, stick with the 640GTS. Video cards depreciates the fastest out of all PC parts. The GTS offers nice balance of price to performance. So save your money and stay with the GTS.

No need for such expensive RAM since you're not going to overclock:
G.SKILL F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ 2 x 1GB DDR2 800 RAM - $90

As for your attempt at "future proofing", it's futile. You can never really future proof a PC. The best you can do is make it easier for upgrades.

thats what i meant with the quotation marks :p and the ram you mentioned is auctually more expensive the corsair has free shipping + 30 dollar rebate which drops it down to 83.00 and if any other builders are looking for the p182b case pcnation has the best price at 125.99 + free 3 day shipping
 
Back
Top