First time builder hoping for some help

badams

n00b
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
++I will be doing some gaming, playing the newest civilization currently

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
++I am hoping to spend about $1000.00 for everything

3) Where do you live?
++california

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word
"Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
++CPU, Graphics Card, Case, Motherboard, PSU, Ram, Hard Drive,

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
++I have an old dell that i was considering using the hard drive, multi card reader, and dvd drive from. I have searched but dell gives you no info on what they are

6) Will you be overclocking?
++first time build don't want to break anything

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
++21 inch samsung monitor

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
++With in the next two to four weeks

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.
++stability matters to me most I will be doing a pretty basic setup

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
++I do have a windows 7 32 bit was thinking about getting a windows 7 64 bit
I am going to attempt my first build and was hoping for some help. Please let me know if I should stay away from anything or if I am going in the wrong direction. I do not plan on overcocking at all. I was also wondering if my power supply was over kill. Any advice would be a great help on any of the items i'm looking at, I put more than one for most because I could go either way. I am looking for the best setup from the below listed items and if there are any better alternatives please let me know. I'm still learning. I did choose full tower cases because they seem to be the best constructed and have easy to clean filters. If there are any amazing mid tower cases that would be great to know. It seemed like the nvidia 460 gtx graphics card was the most bang for you buck too but if there is anthing better for the price range please let me know

thank you!

Cases:
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Compucase Case with USB 3.0 and Black Interior

Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Hard Drive:
Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Seagate Barracuda ST3500413AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Graphics Card:
ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ...

MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video ...

Memory:
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C8

Mother Board:
ASRock Z68 Extreme4 ATX Intel Motherboard

ASRock Z68 PRO3 ATX Intel Motherboard

ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 ...

Power Source:
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power ...

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 ...

And
Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52400

I have some additional questions:

11) Which games (in addition to Civ V) are you (planning on) playing? At what level of visual quality?
12) Outside of gaming, what is the most resource-intensive program or task you'll use this system for?
13) What's the resolution on your 21" monitor?
14) Is your copy of Windows an OEM or a Retail copy? Has it been used before?
15) What's the most (including shipping and taxes) that you're willing to spend on this system?

11) Which games (in addition to Civ V) are you (planning on) playing? At what level of visual quality?
++ Right now this is all i'm playing working to much, I have my computer plugged into my 55 inch LED tv so the best quality possible.

12) Outside of gaming, what is the most resource-intensive program or task you'll use this system for?
++ the only thing I do is work on my computer, internet use, word stuff like that. I will use basic stuff like itunes, and netflix, watch movies too but nothing crazy.

++This I don't know off the top of my head, I will start using it again but right now using my TV until I get a new computer desk. I will more than likely upgrade my monitor when I get my computer desk to something nice.

++ I purchased my windows 7 to replace the vista that came with my dell

15) What's the most (including shipping and taxes) that you're willing to spend on this
++ I would like to cap at $1000.00 but if there is a big difference $1200.00

Thank you!!

3) Where do you live?
++california
Since you live in CA, I highly recommend picking up as much of your parts as possible from Amazon.com since they do not charge CA residents tax whereas Newegg does.

Cases:
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Compucase Case with USB 3.0 and Black Interior

Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Out of those two cases, I'd go for the HAF 932. The Antec 1200 is just a horrible buy at its current prices. Other cases to check out:
$60 - Cooler Master HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 ATX Case
$70 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K58W ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K56 ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master CM690 II Advance ATX Case
$100 - Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B ATX Case
$106 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case
$127 - Fractal Design Define R3 Black ATX Case
$110 - NZXT Whisper WHI - 001BK ATX Full Tower Case
$120 - Velocity Micro GX2-W Silver Classic Aluminum Case with Side Window
$140 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - Cooler Master HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$165 - Corsair Graphite Series 600T ATX Case
$160 - Silverstone RV02B-W ATX case
$220 - Corsair Obsidian Series 650D ATX Case
$220 - Cooler Master ATCS 840 RC-840-KKN1-GP Full Tower ATX Case
$230 - Silverstone FT02B ATX Case
$220 - Lian Li PC-A71F Black ATX Case
$290 - Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Full Tower ATX Case
$330 - Silverstone Temjin SST-TJ07B Full Tower ATX Case
Hard Drive:
Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Seagate Barracuda ST3500413AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Do note that SATA 6.0Gb/s is just a marketing gimmick when it comes to regular hard drives. In fact the above drives are actually a little slower than this drive:
$61 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Graphics Card:
ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ...

MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video ...
Yeah the GTX 460 isn't a good buy these days in terms of bang for the buck. If you're planning on playing at 1920x1080, then go for the HD 6950 1GB.
Memory:
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C8
With the SB CPUs, you do not need DDR3 1600 RAM at all since it has little to no real performance increase over regular DDR3 1333 RAM and no effect on overclocking either. And 2x2GB isn't a good buy these days since single 4GB sticks costs roughly the same and will let you have more room for future RAM upgrades. So I recommend this RAM stick:
$39 - Patriot PSD34G13332 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM

Mother Board:
ASRock Z68 Extreme4 ATX Intel Motherboard

ASRock Z68 PRO3 ATX Intel Motherboard

ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Do note that out of those motherboards, only that AsRock P67 mobo actually has a two year warranty and that's only if you buy the mobo before June 30th. The other two mobos haven't been officially confirmed to have that extended warranty. As such, you basically have a one year warranty with those AsRock Z68 mobos. So I don't recommend getting any of those two.
Power Source:
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power ...

You want the V2 version since that's the updated and better quality/performing version.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
++21 inch samsung monitor
++ Right now this is all i'm playing working to much, I have my computer plugged into my 55 inch LED tv so the best quality possible.

++This I don't know off the top of my head, I will start using it again but right now using my TV until I get a new computer desk. I will more than likely upgrade my monitor when I get my computer desk to something nice.
Slight disconnect in the answers here. So basically you're saying that your 55" TV is gonna be your main monitor for this rig? That is until you get a computer desk in which case you're planning on getting a larger actual PC monitor? So basically that 21" monitor isn't gonna be used at all?
++ I purchased my windows 7 to replace the vista that came with my dell
Ok, you didn't really answer the first question: Is the copy of Windows 7 that you have on that Dell an OEM or Retail license? If OEM, you basically have to buy another copy if you're planning on using that Dell after this new PC is built.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you for the list of all the cases and all the other ideas! I have a number of other alternatives to look at to save myself some money!

I am not going to use the dell any more, I am going to gut the computer and use some of the pieces. The windows 7 version that is on my computer now is 32 bit I was thinking of getting the 64 bit version for the new build. They have a student discount for $30 forthe 64 bit version going on right now. Is there a big difference between the 64 bit and the 32 bit?

In regards to the monitor, I kind of decided my old one is not really going to work too well for my new build, and decided to just get a new one in the future and use my tv until then.

For the graphics card if I want to spend lets say $200.00 on it is there one that you would recommend in general and a brand that is reliable.

They have a student discount for $30 forthe 64 bit version going on right now. Is there a big difference between the 64 bit and the 32 bit?

64bit lets you use more RAM.

For the graphics card if I want to spend lets say $200.00 on it is there one that you would recommend in general and a brand that is reliable.
Read what I said earlier: "If you're planning on playing at 1920x1080, then go for the HD 6950 1GB."

Go for an Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, or XFX branded HD 6950 1GB.

Since it's your first time build, i'd like to remind you to not forget to buy some quality Artic Silver or some other brand for putting on your processor.

Also, don't forget a grounding strap.

A CPU fan is really recommended to keep your processor cool, you don't have to add one of those right away, that's easily added later, but think about that too.

With the SB CPUs, you do not need DDR3 1600 RAM at all since it has little to no real performance increase over regular DDR3 1333 RAM and no effect on overclocking either.

Wow, you weren't joking. Speeds going from 1333 to 2133 made a 1 - 3 FPS difference. :eek: I'm a believer.

EDIT: And even more proof for good measure.

Since it's your first time build, i'd like to remind you to not forget to buy some quality Artic Silver or some other brand for putting on your processor.

Also, don't forget a grounding strap.

A CPU fan is really recommended to keep your processor cool, you don't have to add one of those right away, that's easily added later, but think about that too.

Haha does anyone actually use a grounding strap?

Also, does he really need Arctic Silver thermal paste if he's just using the stock fan? From every bench I've seen, most of those thermal pastes only make a few degree difference in cooling at best. I don't see how a special thermal paste will be any help with a stock fan. Plus, he said he wasn't OC'ing and it's his first build- I'm sure a stock fan will be fine for him.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all the info everyone.

I am finalizing my build and was wondering what the difference between the 5000 and 6000 series radeon cards are. I found that the 5870/6950 are compariable and the 5850/6870 are compariable. Anyone able to help with this?

The HD 6xxxx series is basically a newer revision of the HD 5xxx series cards where they can offer more performance at a lower production/purchase cost. So yes you will see some overlap here

However I would go for a HD 6xxx series card over a HD 5xxx series card for slightly better driver support in the long run.

Not sure if anyone covered this but reusing that old HD is a bad idea- new terrabyte or 2 tb drives out will rape that old drive in performance as well as space and if you live near a fry's you can catch a sale for like 55 bucks.

I bought a hitachi 2tb drive for like 45 bucks and it just destroys anything I've had and damn near comes close to my ssd drive for performance.

Back