First time build

If you can spare some extra money I'd grab a 4850 instead of the 3850.

Also, I second getting the TX750 instead. Mine is rock solid.

What do you need the 250GB drive for? The 640GB drive is significantly faster than it and offers more storage to boot.

And you definitely don't need DDR2 1000 RAM, even with overclocking in mind. Save $12 and go with DDR2 800 RAM:
G.Skill F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM - $80

Some questions that needs to be answered:
- What are you planning to do with this PC?
- What size monitor do you have?
- Will you be overclocking?

Thanks for the hasty replies!

To answer some questions:
The 250GB drive will be for programs as well as storage of work files (lots of data from a variety of programs and machines). Basically I want my work separate from play.

This is going to be an all purpose machine, mostly work, but also gaming/movies/music and some photo editing.

I have a 22" monitor (Samsung 2232BW).

I don't plan on doing any overclocking.

do drop the 250GB and go for a 320 at least, also go for the TX750, and the 4850 will be quite a large improvemement for you...

I agree with the others that the HD4850 would be the best choice for you. The HD3850 will struggle with games on your monitor's native resolution.

Though VisionTek offers a much better warranty, there is currently a bundle deal where you could purchase the P5Q Pro and the Asus HD4850 together and save $30 instantly. (Plus, you get a $30 mail-in rebate for the HD4850.)

So, why this HUGE PSU? 750W is too much for this system - I guess. If your limit is $1000, yes, you can go for a 4850 without going over the budget.

For the PSU, something like this might save some money (+noise). If I were building this, I'd go for this (neglecting the rebate). Corsair PSUs come with 5yr warranty.

So, why this HUGE PSU? 750W is too much for this system - I guess.
Because the Corsair 750TX can be had for just $100 to $110 at either buy.com or provantage.com. That's a pretty awesome deal for a 750W PSU with 60A on the +12V rail. Yes it is overkill but at that price, it's pretty hard to ignore it.

Again, thanks for the advice. It was helpful. I have one more question. I am look at combo cd / dvd burners, but I have hard time finding any good reviews. Is there a particular brand or model that is particularly good for the price (right now I'm looking at a Samsung and a Sony).

Samsung drives are usually pretty quiet. I recommend those all the time.

I have two samsung hard-drives. 250gb and 400gb. Both are really silent.

I see no reason to get anything less than an HD4850 video card if you intend to play games. Unless, you are on a super tight budget. The HD4850 for under $200 is such a value for the performance it offers.

Because the Corsair 750TX can be had for just $100 to $110 at either buy.com or provantage.com. That's a pretty awesome deal for a 750W PSU with 60A on the +12V rail. Yes it is overkill but at that price, it's pretty hard to ignore it.

Agreed!

Back