• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

First speaker purchase- Advice please.

tubes are fine, plus its a hybrid amp.

as far as distortion, dont worry about that. bordsysadms answer might be applicable if you were comparing high end tubes to high end solid state amps...i cant help but lulz at considering tube distortion a negative while reccomending a tripath...and that tripath..

i think what he means is that there are far better used options to that sherwood already discussed and dismissed on the basis of size and they are alot smaller than that sherwood...
 
I'd suggest you think again on getting tubes in your amp since tubes known to distort the sound - make it sound "Warm" - a lot of people do like this specific distortion.
20wpc is not bad and should be enough in small to medium size rooms.

Please not that I also linked to sherwood stereo receiver for $99

Thanks for confirming that 20wpc would work.
As for the Tube issue. I don't think it would be problematic for me (new to this hi-fi thing) and I'm hoping it won't be bad since it is hybridized with solid state. Later down the road I may be pickier with the sound distortion but for now this thing definitely appeals to me.

I did in fact check out the Sherwood you suggested. Although the price is great and the power output is more than enough I am still very much drawn towards the Mav-A1. I find the sherwood to be like many other amps/receivers that I have seen before and at this point I have refined my preferences to the likings of desktop amps. That will fit nicely on my desk. Regardless, thanks for the input :)

tubes are fine, plus its a hybrid amp.

as far as distortion, dont worry about that. bordsysadms answer might be applicable if you were comparing high end tubes to high end solid state amps...i cant help but lulz at considering tube distortion a negative while reccomending a tripath...and that tripath..

i think what he means is that there are far better used options to that sherwood already discussed and dismissed on the basis of size and they are alot smaller than that sherwood...

Yeah, I am just going entry level. This is my first 'sound system'. What are the cons with tripath amps?

I am going to place an order for the amp later today :D

EDIT: I ordered the model with the standard tubes as opposed to the upgraded one.

Thanks again to everybody who helped me out. I learned a lot during this process because of your wisdom. Now I wait...


:D

EDIT#2: I had a dream and saw a car pull out of a parking lot- license plate number :brdsysadmn LOL
 
Last edited:
Thanks for confirming that 20wpc would work.
As for the Tube issue. I don't think it would be problematic for me (new to this hi-fi thing) and I'm hoping it won't be bad since it is hybridized with solid state. Later down the road I may be pickier with the sound distortion but for now this thing definitely appeals to me.

I did in fact check out the Sherwood you suggested. Although the price is great and the power output is more than enough I am still very much drawn towards the Mav-A1. I find the sherwood to be like many other amps/receivers that I have seen before and at this point I have refined my preferences to the likings of desktop amps. That will fit nicely on my desk. Regardless, thanks for the input :)

tubes are fantastic. you could spend tens of thousands on a super high end tube system. tubes have nothing to do with entry level. in fact, its a plus that you get a tube at this level. what im trying to say is that when you get into the high end, its basically tubes vs solid state.
Yeah, I am just going entry level. This is my first 'sound system'. What are the cons with tripath amps?

nothing really. its a chip amp. chip amps havent reached maturity to make its way into the super high end as of yet, nor are the able to make tons of power, as of yet. you can think of chip amps like electric cars...sort of. newer technology, more efficient design, but not quite ready for the die hard. bel canto makes some nice chip amps.

I am going to place an order for the amp later today :D

EDIT: I ordered the model with the standard tubes as opposed to the upgraded one.

Thanks again to everybody who helped me out. I learned a lot during this process because of your wisdom. Now I wait...


:D

hope you like it! whats your source.
 
tubes are fantastic. you could spend tens of thousands on a super high end tube system. tubes have nothing to do with entry level. in fact, its a plus that you get a tube at this level. what im trying to say is that when you get into the high end, its basically tubes vs solid state.


nothing really. its a chip amp. chip amps havent reached maturity to make its way into the super high end as of yet, nor are the able to make tons of power, as of yet. you can think of chip amps like electric cars...sort of. newer technology, more efficient design, but not quite ready for the die hard. bel canto makes some nice chip amps.



hope you like it! whats your source.
informative. thx. So I am guessing that the FiiO A1 and the Nuforce amps are chip amps too? wait, then whats the difference btwn solid state and chips? D:


as for source.. I am not entirely sure what that implies...
But my music files will mostly be mp3 ranging mostly from 196-320kps. I have my classical collection in FLAC :D

As for hardware, well, Once my mav A1 comes in, I'll hook that up to my PSB Alpha B1s.
The A1 comes with a LINE IN cable so I am guessing that fits into the sound slot on the back of my computer. I know this isn't ideal due to pc noise/jitter (not sure of the jargon) so eventually I would like to get a DAC which can connect to the SPDIF optical slot (i'm learning!) then to my amp so I can skip the sound card :3

but for now, I am sooooo broke because of the dentist, and I still have a dental examination as well as 3 more cavities to fill.... :'( $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
 
Brush your teeth yo, you don't want them rattling as you listen to your new sound system. :p
 
informative. thx. So I am guessing that the FiiO A1 and the Nuforce amps are chip amps too? wait, then whats the difference btwn solid state and chips? D:

yes.
in very basic terms without going into detail a solid state amp uses a transistor to variably release current from a power source thats always on, where as a chip amp has an integrated circuit tells a power source when to turn on or off.


as for source.. I am not entirely sure what that implies...
But my music files will mostly be mp3 ranging mostly from 196-320kps. I have my classical collection in FLAC :D

i meant what will be feeding your amp. so for example the onboard sound card, an external dac, etc.

As for hardware, well, Once my mav A1 comes in, I'll hook that up to my PSB Alpha B1s.
The A1 comes with a LINE IN cable so I am guessing that fits into the sound slot on the back of my computer. I know this isn't ideal due to pc noise/jitter (not sure of the jargon) so eventually I would like to get a DAC which can connect to the SPDIF optical slot (i'm learning!) then to my amp so I can skip the sound card :3

but for now, I am sooooo broke because of the dentist, and I still have a dental examination as well as 3 more cavities to fill.... :'( $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

if you can afford it get a Xonar DG or something similar for now, run analog, then upgrade to an outboard dac at a later point. USB-spidf bridge > dac > amp works best.
 
Brush your teeth yo, you don't want them rattling as you listen to your new sound system. :p

wtf, sureman is that you?


yes.
in very basic terms without going into detail a solid state amp uses a transistor to variably release current from a power source thats always on, where as a chip amp has an integrated circuit tells a power source when to turn on or off.




i meant what will be feeding your amp. so for example the onboard sound card, an external dac, etc.



if you can afford it get a Xonar DG or something similar for now, run analog, then upgrade to an outboard dac at a later point. USB-spidf bridge > dac > amp works best.

Chip amp sounds more power efficient
I guess the sound card will feed the amp lol, that or the wall socket. I have no DAC and the sound card is just an integrated one with the mobo.
I will worry about the sound card in the future. Right now I really must focus on school and such. But later (once I find work) I will get a decent soundcard :D
 

srry thought you were someone else.


The amp came in yesterday. I like it so far but I have it connected to the headphone slot....
of my keyboard... (that's as far as the cable will reach lol)
there is a noticeable noise from the speakers that increase with volume even if nothing is being played. This is because of all the noise in my computer right? A DAC would solve this?
 
well the problem is that its being routed through your keyboard which likley has lousy circuitry.
connecting it to the back of the motherboard.

onboard sound can be noisy also, this is best solved with with an outboard sound card/dac, but a cheap add in pci sound card can help also.
 
well the problem is that its being routed through your keyboard which likley has lousy circuitry.
connecting it to the back of the motherboard.

onboard sound can be noisy also, this is best solved with with an outboard sound card/dac, but a cheap add in pci sound card can help also.

I'm thinking about getting the FiiO D3 since apparently there is nothing that good in that price range. Just don't know what cables i need to buy. i have an spdif out at the back of my computer and my amp has two white and two red audio analog in/outs
 
These are cables you could use with just the computer:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10218&cs_id=1021802&p_id=5576&seq=1&format=2

or

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=5597&seq=1&format=2

Just plug them into the analog output on the back of the computer and then hook them up to the amp based on which cable you bought.


If you do go the FiiO D3 route you need:

1x http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10229&cs_id=1022904&p_id=2763&seq=1&format=2

and

1x http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10218&cs_id=1021803&p_id=2869&seq=1&format=2


All the cables come in various sizes, I just chose 3ft at random.
 
These are cables you could use with just the computer:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10218&cs_id=1021802&p_id=5576&seq=1&format=2

or

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=5597&seq=1&format=2

Just plug them into the analog output on the back of the computer and then hook them up to the amp based on which cable you bought.


I'm not really a fan of the monoprice "premium" cables. I bought a couple of them and they seem a bit too stiff, the connectors are tight and the audio signal cuts in and out if i move them. Either go somewhere else for good cables (like Blue Jean Cable, etc.) or just buy the standard ones, which work fine.
 
Well I've never had an issue with mine but yes there are other options out there. They are pretty stiff though.
 
These are cables you could use with just the computer:

If you do go the FiiO D3 route yo...=10229&cs_id=1022904&p_id=2763&seq=1&format=2

and

1x http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10218&cs_id=1021803&p_id=2869&seq=1&format=2


All the cables come in various sizes, I just chose 3ft at random.


AWWW Those are cheaper and look better! I JUST ordered these 5 minutes ago:

https://www.dealextreme.com/p/toslink-digital-audio-optical-cable-1m-length-21423

https://www.dealextreme.com/p/genui...le-to-male-connection-cable-1-8m-length-81552

*cry :(
 
To be honest even though they look better they might sound about the same. Don't sweat it.

ok :)

After some reading it seems that the general consensus is that one does not need a sound-card if one gets a DAC (such as the FiiO D3 in my case).

I am interested in having two channel outputs though. So would could I use the sound jack output of the computer as a channel and the DAC (once it comes in) as a separate channel since it uses the Optical output?
 
ok :)

After some reading it seems that the general consensus is that one does not need a sound-card if one gets a DAC (such as the FiiO D3 in my case).

I am interested in having two channel outputs though. So would could I use the sound jack output of the computer as a channel and the DAC (once it comes in) as a separate channel since it uses the Optical output?

Do you mean channels or sources?

For example: In stereo the channels are Right and Left. In 5.1 they are Front Right, Front Left, Center, Back Right, Back Left, and the .1 is the "Subwoofer Channel"

Sources are where the sounds originate.
Such as a sound card, an mp3 player, FM Tuner, or Blu-ray Player. These sources can be Analog or Digital.

What you want to do is run the optical to the FiiO and then the left and right channels from the FiiO to the amp. Now you could also run a cable from the sound jack output of the computer to the Line-In jack on the front of the amp but I don't know why you would do this as it will play the same sound as the optical unless you were just testing sound quality of the DAC vs the sound card.

*If the DAC had USB input you would not need your onboard sound and could use it as a different source if that was what you were asking. Such as with the FiiO E7
 
ok :)

After some reading it seems that the general consensus is that one does not need a sound-card if one gets a DAC (such as the FiiO D3 in my case).

I am interested in having two channel outputs though. So would could I use the sound jack output of the computer as a channel and the DAC (once it comes in) as a separate channel since it uses the Optical output?

can you explain what your trying to accomplish.
 
He also might've simply meant two discrete outputs... There's DACs with 1 RCA out and one headphone out for instance, so yea.
 
no you cant do that with the fiio d3.
to clarify the reason, you only dont need a sound card when you have a dac, if its a usb dac. a coaxial or optical dac still needs a sound card.

so basically your headphones and the fiio would be playing the same audio.

you need a second sound card
 
Back
Top