First shuttle giving me headaches

Viper87227

Fully [H]
A friend approached me and asked if I could build a shuttle for his aunt (she wanted something small). Never build one, but I said sure. Ive always wanted to give one a shot. Specs are:

Shuttle XPC SN95G5V3 nForce3
Athlon64 X2 3800+
2x512mb Value G.Skill
MSI Radeon 9250
Maxtor 300GB SATA
Samsung DVDRW
Windows XP MCE2005 (also have XP Pro)

Windows installed just fine, all looks good. Then, installing NF3 drivers, system hard reboots. Windows won't load back up at all. Format and reinstall. Same, hard reboots during drivers intall. I went through this about 5 times. A few of them, after the initial hard boot, i could boot back to windows. Other times I coudln't. No error messages at all, just woudlnt boot.

I hoped is was a driving conflincing with MCE... so i tried XP Pro. No luck there, got a ahrd boot during driver install, windows wont boot again. Also, its not just the drivers. At one point, i left hte pc on, and after about an hourI noticed it had rebooted at some point... and i got one of the windows has recovered from a serious error messaes.

Going to burn Prime95 to a disk and let that right, but im confused as hell. I've got no idea what could becausing this issue. I've never seen it before. Anyone care to chime in with ideas?

maxBR said:
Did you update the bios? It could be issues with the X2

I tried using AWDFLASH, but it said the bios file isnt an award bios. I suppose I could burn winflash and the bios file to a disk.

Makes me sort of nervious though. If the system tanks while im running winflash... then I am totally screwed.

ToastMaster said:
Just temporarily install a FDD and go through the BIOS.

I did. THe system has a floppy. As I said above, awardflash says its not a valid award bios. No idea why.

Rick said:
You can grab the needed flash program from the Shuttle FTP site. One of the versions should be a Windows flash version.

Also did you grab the latest nVidia drivers from the website?

I know they have a windows flash version, I am just scared to use it. The system shutting off during a driver install is one thing. It shuts off during a bios flash and its a pretty new paperweight. And no, I didn't grab the latest drivers, primarly because I don't think its an nvidia driver issue. Thats not the only thing its rebooted for... thats just what it is most of the time since its the first thing I go to do on a fresh install.

Also, just to add to the weirdness. I started running StressPrime04 (prime95) this morning, and as of me leaving for class just over an hour later, it was running strong (running two instances), BUT it was still on test 1. So, its priming, but its not making process, which means it is probably not accuratly portraying stability. I think I may give SPI 32M a shot.

Now it gets even weirder.

Got SP2004 working right. Two instances ran three hours no problem before I shut it off. So far, so good. Not a sign of stability per say, but its good enough to show its windows stable for the most part. Bios flash time. Unpack the winflash zip, and open the folder ont eh desktop... freeze. WTF! Reboot, open on winflash folder again. Open winflash. Open bios file, freeze! No way in hell am I risnking a bios flash when its doing this. Makes absolutly no friggin since though. Could this perhaps be the hard drive causing the lock ups and freezing? Since I could prime no problem, that pretty well rules out CPU/MB/RAM.

Is Your ICE fitted correctly? Are all fans pluged and turning?

Are Your memory modules good? Try just with one module.

I have V2.0 and with new BIOS and AMD CPU driver and CPU driver change it works damn good even with my E4 4200+ X2.

If I'm not wrong all V3,0 come with a X2 capable BIOS.

MD

MD said:
Is Your ICE fitted correctly? Are all fans pluged and turning?

Are Your memory modules good? Try just with one module.

I have V2.0 and with new BIOS and AMD CPU driver and CPU driver change it works damn good even with my E4 4200+ X2.

If I'm not wrong all V3,0 come with a X2 capable BIOS.

MD

Yeah, the ice is fitten fine. Im getting rock solid temps. Memory, i would assume it works concidering ive been able to run stressprime no problem. I am going to give it a shot with just one stick though and see what I get.

I think I got it figured out. Looks like one memory stick is bad. Test failed about about 3 hours in... i was running two instances so I didn't even notice... it wasnt beeping like SP2004 normally does. After that initial falure, i tested a few times, and it would never last more than about 20 minutes before it failed. Took out one stick, still failed bout 20 minute in. Swappen em, at an hour going strong... gunna let it prime while I am at work then give it a shot.

Thanks for that XPS Bios link Biologist... should come in handy.

I could be the maxtor just so you know. A lot of problems from that HD. Freezes and the likes.

Well, I am at a loss. Popped in a stick of my memory that I know is fine. Primed for 35 hours straight. Go to install drivers... crash. I just don't get it. Its not a stability issue, nor is it a compatibility issue. I am gunna toss this hard drive in it, see how it fairs, but i am not getting my hopes up. Anyone got any ideas?

Do you have another OS, Win2000 or god forbid 98 floating around. Try the install with that, if it still craps out them you've definately got a hardware issue rather then some funky drivers problems.

Rick said:
Do you have another OS, Win2000 or god forbid 98 floating around. Try the install with that, if it still craps out them you've definately got a hardware issue rather then some funky drivers problems.

Meh, i've got a few copies of XP floating around but thats it. I could get Server 2003 from MSDN, but thats a step in the wrong direction.

I am going to try swapping my Hitache 250GB in here. Thats the only thing I have not tried.

Back