First post, just built a new box, need some advice on OC'ing

Keep The Volume Up

Limp Gawd
I have been reading threads on this forum for some time now. Today I finally registered so I could post. This site has really helped better my choices for building a new box. Here are the parts:

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 G0
MOBO GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775
RAM Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
HSF Tuniq Tower 120 P4 & K8 CPU Cooler
PSU Corsair CMPSU-520HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 520W
VIDEO EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3
AUDIO M-AUDIO High-Definition 7.1 7.1 Channels PCI Interface High-Def
HD Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3500630AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
OS XP Professional SP2
CASE Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
MONITOR Samsung 22" 226BW @ 1680x1050

I have never built a box before, but have always had the hands-on exp. tearin em apart. I had everything up and running the day all of the parts arrived.

I don't have a demand yet for OC'ing, but would like to know where I stand with it with this setup. My box idles on air at 32-35 C. I have made a screenshot of CPU-Z and Core Temp. Ok, here's my question: looking at my RAM, it seems as though I was sent 2 differnent speeds. 1 @ 400MHz, and the other @ 500MHz. I have Prime95, but have not used it yet. What can I OC this thing to, at a comfortable rate?

Thanks in advance for the time spent reading my post =D

My screenshot of CPU-Z and Core Temp

raise your FSB to 400MHz; may have to raise your core voltage.

mine: vCore 1.375; FSB 1.400; NB 1.450; SB 1.50; ICH auto; vDRAM 2.1v.

I have never built a box before, but have always had the hands-on exp. tearin em apart. I had everything up and running the day all of the parts arrived.

Good job and nice selection of parts. Lots of free performance waiting to be unleashed.

Yep, you look good and should be able to do 3.2 like falling off a log. easy.

What he said fsb 400 memory divider at 2.0. set your memory voltage and timings to manuf specs cpu mulitplier at 8. go for it.

Some help with bios settings and good general info, that board is the same as a p965 for all intents and purposes and this guide still applies.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1030795318

Ok. Well I went into the BIOS and tweaked a few things. I have not adjusted the memory timings yet. My current idle temps from Core Temp only went up about 5 C (38ish).

CPU Freq - 400MHz x 8
DRAM - 1:1
PCI-E Freq - 100MHz
vCore - 1.35

System runs great. I havn't ran a Prime95 test for longer than 2-3 minutes yet. My temps only jumped to the low 50s tho, in those few minutes.

Why does my multiplier, CPU voltage, and 3.2GHz drop during idle? Is that OK? Is it just for power savings? Next I want to look into OC'ing my 8800GTS (I dont know the software yet) and possible RAM adjustments as well. Any help is greatly appreciated.

3.2GHzOC.jpg

Looks good. On my Asus MB the multiplier would drop when idling because of power saving, so I disabled it in BIOS. My temps also run low 30s idle and low 50s load. My (Corsair) memory will run 4-4-4-12 if I up DRAM voltage to 2.1. vCore 1.375; FSB 1.400; NB 1.450; SB 1.50; ICH auto; vDRAM 2.1v.

Why does my multiplier, CPU voltage, and 3.2GHz drop during idle? Is that OK? Is it just for power savings?

Again, what he said, yep its power savings and as you noticed when you give it work to do it throttles right up to max speed.

EIST and C1E are what you need to disable to prevent the cpu mulitplier and voltage from jumping around. What I do is disable them while tweaking and testing and after I find the "sweet spot" turn them back on, no sense in stressing things, creating heat and running up the electric bill when web surfing. Thermal 2 is good to leave enabled, it only reacts to high temps and so if something odd were to happen to a fan etc. only then would it kick in. (you really cant kill a C2D or Quad with heat anyway, they just shut themselves down, but extra insurance at no cost is always a good thing. ) .

Again nice job, everything looks exactly correct and as expected.

Ok, I disabled EIST and C1E in BIOS for now, to keep the speed and mulitplier from dropping periodically. Now I want to look into my RAM and 8800GTS overclock.

Where would I start? And with what program to OC my 8800GTS?

Ok, I disabled EIST and C1E in BIOS for now, to keep the speed and mulitplier from dropping periodically. Now I want to look into my RAM and 8800GTS overclock.

Where would I start? And with what program to OC my 8800GTS?

I like ATI tool, but NVIDIA control panel has some OC software built in.

I ran 3DMark06, and these were the scores:

9194 3DMarks
SM2.0 Score 3974
SM3.0 Score 3781

I am not too sure if what I scored is any good or not, considering I just built this computer with all new parts. I am only using an EVGA 8800GTS 320, but I have heard great reviews about it. During the test, when it got the the two CPU tests, the FPS were 0-1 and very choppy, very upsetting. The only OC I am running, is on the CPU... 8x400 @ 3.2GHz and 1.35 vCore. Does my RAM or 8800GTS need tweaking?

Back