First Pics of the LSI 12Gb/s SAS Adapter

Hope LSI add oob ethernet based management to their next generation products. Thanks for sharing the link.

Hope LSI add oob ethernet based management to their next generation products. Thanks for sharing the link.

Without violating an NDA, I would be exceptionally surprised to see it :)

Yea... I have one of the LSI 9202-16e's that we have been playing with recently. See here for the LSI 9202-16 at 5.9GB/s (that's big not little B).

The card uses 4x SFF-8644 ports. Even the SFF-8644 to SFF-8088 1M cables were quite pricey coming from China..

just read through a NDA PDF, fomr a company i won't mention specifically :), and they have integrated and add-in 12gbps SAS coming in first half of 2013. Oh also expanders.

kinda curious where sff-8639 fits into this though. 12gbps + sff-8639 could lead to a massive increase in SSD performance. not that the consumer 'needs' anything beyond what good SSDs can deliver now but i can imagine a zfs solution with some screaming fast cache :).

just read through a NDA PDF, fomr a company i won't mention specifically :), and they have integrated and add-in 12gbps SAS coming in first half of 2013. Oh also expanders.

kinda curious where sff-8639 fits into this though. 12gbps + sff-8639 could lead to a massive increase in SSD performance. not that the consumer 'needs' anything beyond what good SSDs can deliver now but i can imagine a zfs solution with some screaming fast cache :).

I am NDA'd on a bunch of stuff I can't talk about, lets just say that SATA Express (which is essentially just a PCIe connection with a SATA command set showhorned on) is going to be the "next big thing", especially with increasing numbers of lanes coming from the CPU and PCH in the upcoming Intel roadmap. SATA express will be what thunderbolt should have been :)

So SATA Express can handle video?

Not as of this moment. Both thunderbolt and SATA express are PCIe based transports. Thunderbolt combines PCI Express and Displayport, SATA express PCI Express and a SATA command set. SATA Express is to be the inexpensive connection medium for storage devices, with wide distribution, common acceptance and inexpensive PHY and cable costs (compare to a single current thunderbolt cable for ~$50). In the end, since it is just a PCIe based transport you (meaning a manufacturer) could theoretically bundle a number of controllers or transceivers onto it, including video.

I am NDA'd on a bunch of stuff I can't talk about, lets just say that SATA Express (which is essentially just a PCIe connection with a SATA command set showhorned on) is going to be the "next big thing", especially with increasing numbers of lanes coming from the CPU and PCH in the upcoming Intel roadmap. SATA express will be what thunderbolt should have been :)
i want to see 12gbps sff-8639 though.

the problem I see is you can't get the 9202-16E unless you're an OEM and or want to buy 1000 of them. Fine, give me the same bandwidth then from a 2 port card and you solve my inability to deliver sustained throughput.

2-4 of those cards with sas switching to handle the spinning JBODs 2-4 for SSD JBODs, and I still ahve room for some 10gig or IB network ports.

i want to see 12gbps sff-8639 though.

the problem I see is you can't get the 9202-16E unless you're an OEM and or want to buy 1000 of them. Fine, give me the same bandwidth then from a 2 port card and you solve my inability to deliver sustained throughput.

2-4 of those cards with sas switching to handle the spinning JBODs 2-4 for SSD JBODs, and I still ahve room for some 10gig or IB network ports.

Mad-
Tons of them available, I have a few. Order IBM FRU #46K3659.

The problem? Windows only for the moment. Any protection you get from the hardware is more than given up by the software, and that trade is simply not worth it to all but the dumbest out there.
That's why something like this needs needs to be used with an enterprise Linux distro, not Windows.

Mad-
Tons of them available, I have a few. Order IBM FRU #46K3659.

hmm, ill have to have procurement check if asi or avnet have them then. they finally got me all the info on intel and quanta's new lineup and i'm likking the 4 x16 pci-e 3.0 ports on the quad boards.

hmm, ill have to have procurement check if asi or avnet have them then. they finally got me all the info on intel and quanta's new lineup and i'm likking the 4 x16 pci-e 3.0 ports on the quad boards.

If you are willing to wait, 1Q13 will see 16 and 32 port PCIe3 boards shipping based on the 3108 ROC and/or the 3x LSI expanders.

Wonder if I could walk next door and try one out. I work right across the street from LSI. lol

Back