First Overclock Help

Funky_Junk

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 1, 2005
Messages
353
This is my first overclock so bear with me :)

Im running an Opteron 165 and a DFI Ultra-D. I had the FSB at 250 and everything ran fine. I then bumped the FSB up to 260. It booted into Windows fine but I got an error in Prime 95 after 1 minute. I had my OCZ memory at 260 as well. Do you think the problem lies in the memory or do you think I should bump up the voltage to the CPU? Or are there any other suggestions? Thanks.
 
Bump the memory speed down to 166 from 200 and retest. If you still get errors, it's your CPU, and your choices are to back down back to 250 or increase the CPU voltage a bit.

If you bump the memory speed to 166 and the errors go away, it was your memory. In this case, leave the memory speed at 166 (which actually translates to 215MHz), and you can continue increasing the FSB to see how high you can get your processor to go.

Oh yeah, I hope you're decreasing the HT multiplier, right? It should be 5x up to 200, 4x up to 250, and 3x above that.
 
Right now my memory is running at 250mhz. Which option in the BIOS should I look for to bump it down to 166? I haven't decreased the HT multiplier yet so do you think that has something to do with it?
 
Funky_Junk said:
Right now my memory is running at 250mhz. Which option in the BIOS should I look for to bump it down to 166?
Well, we have no idea what board you have, but you should see something like "Memory multiplier." The options will probably be something like "100, 133, 166, 200" or "200, 266, 333, 400" or something like that. You want to take it down from its default of 200/DDR400 to 166/DDR333.
I haven't decreased the HT multiplier yet so do you think that has something to do with it?
Yes. You're currently running your HTT at 1250MHz, and the general wisdom is that anything over 1000MHz is a big no-no.
 
I left the FSB at 250 (which ran completely stable) but then bumped the memory down to 166. The computer wouldn't but so I put the memory back to auto and everything worked fine. What should I look for in the BIOS to change the HT multiplier?
 
Funky_Junk said:
What should I look for in the BIOS to change the HT multiplier?
HT multiplier or something to that effect. The available range of values will probably be 2 - 5 or 3 - 5.
 
The only ones that look like they could be it are:

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio

Do you think it is one of those?

Also, it doesnt seem good that the system wont boot when I change the memory to 166.
 
Back
Top