First Major Update For Windows 10 Available Today

The new Skype-based apps are extremely half baked. Why not just bring back the Window 8.1 Skype app? It beats these and the desktop app handily. These all look and work like they were thrown together in a weekend.

Other than those, I like the other changes. Especially the extra row of Start Menu icons. For some weird reason my Origin shortcut now has a black background...and it's the only one that does. There seems to be no way to fix it either. Not that big of deal, but it looks odd.

I don't use Skype. At all. Ever.

I chafe at the mandatory inclusion of things I will never use. May not be a big deal, but it still irritates the hell out of me.

Just trying to update my Windows 10 Boot USB sticks and I've created a 10 'Home' one but I cant get the option to make a 10 Pro. Always have down before with no problem. I untick the pre-selected option box and just get -

Windows 10
Windows 10 Home Single language
Windows 10 N (EU version)

Before I've had the Pro option. I'm doing this on a 7 Pro machine. Have they just listed Pro as purely Windows 10 now with just Home having the extra title?

Zarathustra[H];1041969414 said:
I don't use Skype. At all. Ever.

I chafe at the mandatory inclusion of things I will never use. May not be a big deal, but it still irritates the hell out of me.

Hit submit too soon...

The reason I am interested in the update is for the bug fixes. I Don't want anymore features. In fact I wish they'd remove some (or at least let me uninstall them) like:
  • Alarm/Clock
  • Calendar
  • Camera
  • Photos (I prefer photo viewer, thank you. I don't want an automated database/library photo app. I want a simple, double click on the image file to view it, solution.)
  • Maps
  • Weather
  • Money
  • News
  • Sports
  • Groove music
  • Movies & TV
  • Solitaire
  • Microsoft Store
  • Cortana
  • Mail
  • Contacts
  • Edge
  • Internet Explorer
  • One Note
  • One Drive

Firstly, my desktop is not a tablet or a phone, so I don't want any tablet/phone style apps on it. It is not really a big deal, but it is an annoyance. Many of these you can remove from your user account, but they are never removed from Windows. Create a new account and they are still there. Some of them can't even be removed at all. This annoys me to no end. As the owner of my computer, I should have FULL CONTROL of what is on it. There shouldn't be such a thing as an uninstallable app.

This is what everyone hates when they get a new android phone. Pre-installed bloatware. I know they are going for the unified experience, but Jesus Christ, they don't have to bring the worst of mobile to the desktop.

Until I can remove every last one of the apps above (I'll keep the calculator and voice recorder, they might be useful, but I should have the option to remove them too) I will be unhappy.

My Windows 10 install is a simple gaming install. That is all it ever does. I don't even browse the fucking web on it. I boot it up, fire up a game in Steam, and then shut it down again when I am done. Everything else I do in Linux, and I don't want or need any of this included bloatware junk.

I fully understand why they include it. Some people would be disappointed if they didn't, but Jesus Christ, my computer, my decisions, allow me to remove it if I don't want it. EVERYTHING on my local machine should be 100% up to me.

The arrogance of Microsoft is unbelievable.

I definitely agree about removing some of those modern apps. You can get rid of some of them, but definitely not all. I'd love the freedom to at least HIDE them. Right now they're stuck on your start menu no matter what you do.

With Skype, I'm more irritating at how shitty the new apps are more than the integration of Skype. These literally look and work like someone programmed them in a few hours. This is of course years after they released a great Windows 8 app version of Skype, too.

If not happy use a different OS?

I would if not for the imminent DX12.

That's the only reason I have Windows 10 installed. Everything else about it is a huge leap backwards, IMHO.

I went a head and upgraded even though I don't have any DX12 titles yet, as I didn't want to miss out on the free upgrade, and figured i should learn Win10 as it is the new thing after all, but the truth is I spend 95% of my time in Linux.

I only boot to Windows at all when I play on firing up a game, as Linux still sucks for gaming, even on the few titles that are available for it. I boot, I launch steam, teamspeak and EVGA PrecisionX for my overclock settings, and then launch my game. When done I immediately reboot to Linux.

Ideally, I'd want a streamlined Windows 10 with NOTHING installed that isn't directly required in order to do the above. I know this wasn't the case in 7 or 8.1, but this is an even further step backwards, rather than an improvement.

I do not want a Microsoft Ecosystem with or without cloud. I just want a barebones OS the programs of my choosing will run on.

I'm still using 8.1. I might sacrifice some of my Windows 7 keys from college handouts towards upgrading to Windows 10 for free... but it just seems like a huge pain for very little gain. DX12 is nice, but from what I've heard game stability isn't the best on W10 in general atm. What's the point of having the next DX if the OS itself is useless? Frankly I'm just not very excited about this version. Windows 8.1 is running very smoothly and efficiently.

DX12 is nice, but from what I've heard game stability isn't the best on W10 in general atm.

I have had some instability in Windows 10.

At this point I'm not sure if it has to do with Windows 10 itself, Nvidia drivers, SLI, or my favorite title (Red Orchestrra 2) or the fact that I use three screens, but only game on the center one, or some combination of the above, but I have not incredibly infrequent crashes, and often when quitting a game, it exits to a black screen rather than a functional Windows 10 desktop. Windows is still running and working, but I just don't have screen output.

For me this "November Update" is interesting to me from a bug fix, hoping these issues will go away. I couldn't care less about the features they are adding, and really would rather they subtract "features"

I ran through the upgrade just over a month ago on a rebuild of an older laptop. I just had to keep doing windows updates until eventually it caught up to a point where the Win10 upgrade was offered. Windows Update, reboot, update and reboot, update and reboot, you get it.

Or, create the media installation on a usb drive and install from there. This reboot, update, reboot, update is completely unnecessary. All you had to do is make sure that the host OS is activated with SP1 if it is Windows 7 or have Windows 8 activated, that is all. :D

What I find interesting is after the update my local administrator account was disabled again.

What I find interesting is after the update my local administrator account was disabled again.

I would imagine that is because the administrator account has been disabled by default since Windows Vista.

I would imagine that is because the administrator account has been disabled by default since Windows Vista.

Then how are you supposed to install software, or make changes to settigns? :p

I feel like we aren't talking about the same thing.

I have two accounts on all my windows installs. One user account I use for doing stuff, and one admin account I use only when doing work that requires admin access.

Zarathustra[H];1041969623 said:
Then how are you supposed to install software, or make changes to settigns? :p

I feel like we aren't talking about the same thing.

I have two accounts on all my windows installs. One user account I use for doing stuff, and one admin account I use only when doing work that requires admin access.

Yeah, I was specifically speaking about the actual account named administrator. :D Did you log in with the account that has admin access first after the upgrade?

If not happy use a different OS?

That's not as easy as it sounds. I have just as many gripes about Windows 7, and as a gamer it's not like the non-windows OS's are very viable as options. 7 and 8 won't be viable if DX12 catches on, too.
Then you're stuck with booting into multiple OS's, using virtual machine installs, etc.
I honestly feel like choosing an OS is just settling for the lesser of evils. Right now, that's 10 as far as I'm concerned.

That's not as easy as it sounds. I have just as many gripes about Windows 7, and as a gamer it's not like the non-windows OS's are very viable as options. 7 and 8 won't be viable if DX12 catches on, too.
Then you're stuck with booting into multiple OS's, using virtual machine installs, etc.
I honestly feel like choosing an OS is just settling for the lesser of evils. Right now, that's 10 as far as I'm concerned.

Dual booting really isn't as bad as it used to be.

Used to be a huge chore to reboot to play a game back in the "running my OS off of a HDD days".

These days Windows boots faster than ever, and Linux has always booted really fast.

If my Bios only had a way to disable loading the bootrom for my 10Gig Ethernet card (it's an unusually slow one) it would be even faster!

I mean, since I'd be shutting down all other running programs when I launch a game anyway, and booting is so fast, there really is very little downside to dual booting.

can I do an iso clean install of this and just plug in my Windows 7 activation key?

I just activated mine using my Win 8 upgrade key so it does work as intended. It's nice to get rid of the activate windows text on my screen.

So after the update, when printing from Firefox, it prints at about a 20% zoom level. Yes please, I like having to use a microscope to read printed text.

Haven't looked at anything to see if I can find a setting that got messed up, but it is annoying.

Does it restore the functionality of the brightness slider on a SurfacePro? I'd upgrade my SP to Win10 as I'm going to need to test my programs on it eventually (won't upgrade my desktop), but not if I can't get decent control of the brightness, I mostly use it in the very dim range as it hurts my eyes otherwise.

Zarathustra[H];1041969458 said:
Hit submit too soon...

The reason I am interested in the update is for the bug fixes. I Don't want anymore features. In fact I wish they'd remove some (or at least let me uninstall them) like:
  • Alarm/Clock
  • Calendar
  • Camera (I prefer photo viewer, thank you. I don't want an automated database/library photo app. I want a simple, double click on the image file to view it, solution.)
  • Maps
  • Weather
  • Money
  • News
  • Sports
  • Groove music
  • Movies & TV
  • Solitaire
  • Microsoft Store
  • Cortana
  • Mail
  • Contacts
  • Edge
  • Internet Explorer
  • One Note
  • One Drive

<snip>
The arrogance of Microsoft is unbelievable.

Enterprise LTSB edition, my friend. I was in the same boat you are. Don't want any of the forced user-tracking/cloud/metro/marketing-features. If you can get a hold of LTSB, it's basically like Windows 7 but with the under-hood improvements of 8 and 10. Why MS doesn't allow Professional edition users that level of control after paying $199 for a retail license is baffling as it is arrogant.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1041969975

So after the update, when printing from Firefox, it prints at about a 20% zoom level. Yes please, I like having to use a microscope to read printed text.

Haven't looked at anything to see if I can find a setting that got messed up, but it is annoying.

Have you already installed the latest version of Firefox, number 42? Also, what does the print preview look like? Maybe remove and reinstall the drivers?

Does it restore the functionality of the brightness slider on a SurfacePro? I'd upgrade my SP to Win10 as I'm going to need to test my programs on it eventually (won't upgrade my desktop), but not if I can't get decent control of the brightness, I mostly use it in the very dim range as it hurts my eyes otherwise.

You can use the brightness slider in the control panel power options section. However, on the right side swipe menu, it is still only in 25% increments, I just tried it on my Surface Pro 1.

You can use the brightness slider in the control panel power options section. However, on the right side swipe menu, it is still only in 25% increments, I just tried it on my Surface Pro 1.

If you right click on brightness in the Action Center and click on "Go to settings" it will bring up Settings with the brightness slider in focus. Not as elegant as the Charms in 8.x though and something that tablet fans of 8.x mention a lot. It would be nice it press and hold or right clicking bought up the slider right from the Action Menu.

Just trying to update my Windows 10 Boot USB sticks and I've created a 10 'Home' one but I cant get the option to make a 10 Pro. Always have down before with no problem. I untick the pre-selected option box and just get -

Windows 10
Windows 10 Home Single language
Windows 10 N (EU version)

Before I've had the Pro option. I'm doing this on a 7 Pro machine. Have they just listed Pro as purely Windows 10 now with just Home having the extra title?

The USB stick that you prepare is for both the Home and Pro version. You do the selection during install.

The USB stick that you prepare is for both the Home and Pro version. You do the selection during install.

So Windows 10 is now the Pro option and Windows 10 Home is obviously the Home option?

It used to list Pro and Home now just 10 and Home.

So after my upgrade from updates failed, I tried to do it manually, and it failed a few times.

Looks like you CAN NOT upgrade from a user account, even when privileges are escalated to Administrator by entering credentials. You need to upgrade by logging out of the user account, and logging in to the administrator account, and running the manual upgrade from there.

The driver update thing was there in device manager yes but when it did automatic updates it still would try and install them. The first build 10240 even if it was off in device manager it still updated in updates.

Wasn't in Device Manager for me.

It has always been in:

System-->Advanced Settings-->Hardware-->Device Installation Settings.

I had been running 10240 since I wiped and redid my computer because one of the fast track updates broke a bunch of stuff.

Have you already installed the latest version of Firefox, number 42? Also, what does the print preview look like? Maybe remove and reinstall the drivers?

Ha, that was it. For whatever reason it auto set the size to 30%.

I was in a hurry before and didn't even look at anything.. just save what I was trying to print as a picture and printed it that way.

So Windows 10 is now the Pro option and Windows 10 Home is obviously the Home option?

It used to list Pro and Home now just 10 and Home.

The media creation tool that I just downloaded from MS website only has options for Windows 10 and Windows 10 N. It has options for 64-bit and 32-bit architecture. The USB stick that is created for each architecture provides Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Home options during the installation.

The media creation tool that I just downloaded from MS website only has options for Windows 10 and Windows 10 N. It has options for 64-bit and 32-bit architecture. The USB stick that is created for each architecture provides Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Home options during the installation.

Cool thing is, this time around, I now have one single usb stick for all of it. (32, 64, Home and Pro all on one usb stick. :) )

I have 2 computers and both fail when I try to upgrade. So annoying.

I got the update through Windows Update this afternoon. Incremental improvements, although I'm still surprised by the number of old icons. You'd think that changing up the art would be fairly easy.

This requires a level of attention to detail that Microsoft lacks.

I have 2 computers and both fail when I try to upgrade. So annoying.

Then they both have the same software installed that is causing the problem. Either that or they both have the same hardware connected that is causing the issue. There is always a reason for something happening, hope you figure it out.

Oh, they do have the level of attention to detail you claim they lack. However, it is best not to do everything or change everything at once. One step at a time.

Indeed, but sometimes I don't think it's because of lack of attention. For instance, many of the major system context menus were updated with a new dark theme, but not all of them. I'm pretty sure Microsoft noticed this because there was tons of feedback about it. What ever the reason this didn't happen because of lack of attention.

Then sometimes they will surprise you and address the finest level of detail very well. For instance in the 10240 RTM build, there were complaints about how on multiple monitor setups how a window would aggressively "grab" the edge of an interior monitor and snap and make dragging that window across to another monitor a bit irritating. They addressed that in 1511 and now I think it actually works much better were the snapping is much less aggressive and the window movement isn't interrupted by the snapping.

It just tends to be very inconsistent too many times.

Oh, they do have the level of attention to detail you claim they lack. However, it is best not to do everything or change everything at once. One step at a time.

There are still icons from Windows 2000 and XP buried in Windows 10.

I think this is more of it than simple unawareness of the issue. The inconsistencies are obvious and often longstanding and well known. Windows has to be one of the more complex code bases around just from all that it supports with it's legacy reaching back over two now decades. And now they've added mobile OS capability on top of it. And that's already been done and reworked in 10 since Windows 7.

I've long said that Windows is probably trying to do to much. But I don't think simply falling back and refining the desktop is much of an option right now.

There are still icons from Windows 2000 and XP buried in Windows 10.

No doubt tons of stuff is still there from those days because of backwards compatibility and that's one thing that Windows excels with. But it's also a hindrance.

So, if the install fails, and Windows 10 updater is telling me that I am up to date, no matter how many times I refresh it, will it eventually retry on its own?

I forced my Virtualbox Guest to upgrade, but that apparently does a full on upgrade install. It says it keeps my files and settings, but I had to redo a lot of settings.

I'd rather not do that on my bare metal dual boot install if I can avoid it.

So is waiting for it to retry a potential option, or is doing a manual upgrade install the only option at this point?

Back