First Look at Razer's Xbox Mouse and Keyboard

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Razer has published a teaser image and video of its upcoming Xbox One mouse and keyboard, which will be officially unveiled during CES 2019 in January. K+M support went live this month, and while over 50 models are already compatible, this is the only version that was specifically designed for the Xbox One, featuring a dedicated Xbox button and "Xbox Dynamic Lighting."

You can clearly see the Xbox Button on the bottom right where the "Control" key should be. The Xbox Dynamic Lighting is also on display and appears to be based on Razer's "Chroma" technology which provides similar functions on the company's keyboards. All in all, it's a gorgeous device, bolstered by its mechanical keys. Hopefully it'll won't be too hefty and tout strong battery life.

How do you guys game on wireless keyboards/mice?

The last time I tried that, the mouse goes to sleep while I'm lining up a shot; so you end up needing two keypresses.

And thus Colecovision makes a comeback. Well. . .sort of.

102642029.lg.jpg

The last time I tried that, the mouse goes to sleep while I'm lining up a shot; so you end up needing two keypresses.

That hasn't been a problem for a little while. The current crop of high end wireless gaming mice are indistinguishable from their wired counterparts.

Unfortunately the old school idea that they're all bad hasn't totally died yet.

The next Xbox will be more PC like than ever I expect. Pretty exciting times ahead.

I know we are the PC master race, but other then the precision of the mouse, honestly keyboards suck. My hand never felt natural trying to game on off centered rows of small keys surrounded by other small keys. It is something we have become accustomed to and adapted. It is far from a good solution, nor natural for a first time user.
Someone please invent a keyboard type device where I can choose the number of keys and place them were I want them, you know, for gaming purposes. Controllers evolved, why not keyboards?

I know we are the PC master race, but other then the precision of the mouse, honestly keyboards suck. My hand never felt natural trying to game on off centered rows of small keys surrounded by other small keys. It is something we have become accustomed to and adapted. It is far from a good solution, nor natural for a first time user.
Someone please invent a keyboard type device where I can choose the number of keys and place them were I want them, you know, for gaming purposes. Controllers evolved, why not keyboards?

Something like this and this? Logitech used to make one too but I can't find it on their site. They're not very popular.

While it is positive news that Xbox is receiving mouse and keyboard support, it seems nuts that they would require some sort of special protocol or hardware. Just make it standard HID compatible and be done with it!

Standards = Good!
Fragmentation = Bad!

Wireless devices have gotten much better in recent years, to the point where even top competitive players use them.

Just based on the historical baggage, though, I still don't trust them. I'm corded for life.

Everything corded is better than everything wireless, no exceptions.

I agree. Keyboards suck. This is why I've been using a controller in my left hand and a mouse in my right for FPS games for years now.

Some people use the PS Nav for this purpose, but I don't find the Xbox controller to be too heavy for one handed use. Been my go to set up for over a decade now.

Xbox controllers for all PC gaming for me, it's way more competitive playing fps games online with a controller when everyone else is using a kb / mouse, vs playing on a console and just destroying everyone all the time.

This literally hasn't been true on any good quality wireless mouse in at least 10 years. Stop buying shitty wireless? I've been 100% wireless since the Logitech G7 came out years ago. Since then I've had the g700, performance mx, Corsair m65 and a few others I can't remember. All playing fast paced competitive games with zero issue.

Just remember speak any unkind words about Razer and they ban you from their social media channels.

While it is positive news that Xbox is receiving mouse and keyboard support, it seems nuts that they would require some sort of special protocol or hardware. Just make it standard HID compatible and be done with it!

Standards = Good!
Fragmentation = Bad!
Anything that is PnP should work. There are not very many peripherals requiring extra software these days. Microsoft in this case is just saying that 50 devices were tested successfully on the system.

In Razer's case they are just taking advantage of branding, like all of those external hard drives that are sold as "made for Xbox One."
This literally hasn't been true on any good quality wireless mouse in at least 10 years. Stop buying shitty wireless? I've been 100% wireless since the Logitech G7 came out years ago. Since then I've had the g700, performance mx, Corsair m65 and a few others I can't remember. All playing fast paced competitive games with zero issue.
I had a G700S and the wireless mode still had noticeable lag even in performance mode. This was with the wireless dongle plugged into the USB port on my keyboard, so there wasn't more than 6 inches from the mouse to the receiver. I ended up keeping it plugged in at all times because of this. Didn't matter in the end as both the left and right buttons failed on me about a year and a half of use. Using a G502 now for three years and it has been flawless.

Anything that is PnP should work. There are not very many peripherals requiring extra software these days. Microsoft in this case is just saying that 50 devices were tested successfully on the system.

In Razer's case they are just taking advantage of branding, like all of those external hard drives that are sold as "made for Xbox One."

I had a G700S and the wireless mode still had noticeable lag even in performance mode. This was with the wireless dongle plugged into the USB port on my keyboard, so there wasn't more than 6 inches from the mouse to the receiver. I ended up keeping it plugged in at all times because of this. Didn't matter in the end as both the left and right buttons failed on me about a year and a half of use. Using a G502 now for three years and it has been flawless.

Never used the S version as I got the original. However given it was likely the same transceiver, color me a little skeptical that you were noticing real input lag.

Back