First intel build.

AlexStenka

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 16, 2004
Messages
1,314
This probably belongs in the general hardware section and a mod will probably move the thread.

Read this thread and answer the questions:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1349433

Well its intel CPU related. I never built a intel tower before.This is my first intel chip ever. Plus I'm not new to computer hardware. I just want to know what people feel after ditching AMD for intel and thought I might as well throw in my new specs. Hop of your high horse, your post did not help to answer my question at all. I been here like 8 years now, I don't think I need your help on how to get around this place bud. No pwn intended just saying.
 
Well its intel CPU related. I never built a intel tower before.This is my first intel chip ever. Plus I'm not new to computer hardware. I just want to know what people feel after ditching AMD for intel and thought I might as well throw in my new specs. Hop of your high horse, your post did not help to answer my question at all. I been here like 8 years now, I don't think I need your help on how to get around this place bud. No pwn intended just saying.

Point taken, but it is hard to comment on your decision when we do not know what you intend to use that hardware for or what thoughts you have put into your purchase ie. if it is a strict gaming build you could have gone for the 3570K and saved some cash.

What made you change the PSU?
 
Overall it looks like a nice build. If this is for a gaming system you might drop down to the Intel® Core™ i5-3570K since most games won't use more then 4 threads. Also there is a really good deal on the SeaSonic M2II 620w for $89. Which save you little money, give you a quality PSU with a 5 year warranty and will still proved you with more then enough power for your build.
 
Looks great, that thing will fly when your done. I'd look at changing to the SeaSonic PS though, SeaSonic is a good name when it comes to PSU's.
 
I'm not a fan of ASRock, but with the free 8GB G.Skill memory kit at only $135, it's hard to pass up.

The only things I would add/change are the following -
CPU: i5-3570K
PSU: Seasonic X650 or X750, Corsair AX650 or AX750
HSF: Cooler Master Hyper212+
 
I guess I should have said what ill be using it for. :p Its mainly for gaming. The reason I want to go i7 is to treat myself for something super super nice after working hard haha. Problem is I had ordered that PSU way before I ordered the rest of the rig. Took a risk on it, I hope i don't regret it. It was on sale when I got it lol and the rails looked really nice, and i wanted a single rail PSU not a multi, plus its gold rated. I also do plan on using the 212+
 
That's pretty much the same reason I got the i7 vs the i5.

Hindsight being 20/20, I would have saved the $100+ and gotten the i5. Then sold my old parts to combine with that money saved and bought a GTX 670. Another reason for the i7 choice Is that I go 5-6 years between upgrades, so I am riding on the notion that hopefully some HT aware games will emerge in the near future...but I doubt it.
 
Last edited:
Problem is I had ordered that PSU way before I ordered the rest of the rig. Took a risk on it, I hope i don't regret it. It was on sale when I got it lol and the rails looked really nice, and i wanted a single rail PSU not a multi, plus its gold rated.
It is an Enhance made PSU so it does have a decent chance of being a good PSU. But unless you got that PSU for $80 or less, that still was a bad buy considering the complete lack of proper reviews for it, the minimal info about it, and the stupidly short 1 year warranty. And no, just because it's Gold rated doesn't necessarily mean it's a good PSU as the 80Plus award system is hilariously easy to cheat. Not to mention that for all intents and purposes, it really isn't a huge factor:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/10/04/80_plus_irrelevant_to_you_when_buying_psu/

Honestly, if it's not too late to return the PSU for a refund, do so and get a confirmed quality PSU with a significantly longer warranty like any of the PSUs that DejaWiz listed or the Corsair HX750. If you're not planning on SLI, the HX650 would also work as well. Otherwise, hope you have a good amount of luck.
 
It is an Enhance made PSU so it does have a decent chance of being a good PSU. But unless you got that PSU for $80 or less, that still was a bad buy considering the complete lack of proper reviews for it, the minimal info about it, and the stupidly short 1 year warranty. And no, just because it's Gold rated doesn't necessarily mean it's a good PSU as the 80Plus award system is hilariously easy to cheat. Not to mention that for all intents and purposes, it really isn't a huge factor:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/10/04/80_plus_irrelevant_to_you_when_buying_psu/

Honestly, if it's not too late to return the PSU for a refund, do so and get a confirmed quality PSU with a significantly longer warranty like any of the PSUs that DejaWiz listed or the Corsair HX750. If you're not planning on SLI, the HX650 would also work as well. Otherwise, hope you have a good amount of luck.

Well I know there was no reviews but you got to take chances on new brands or you will just be stuck with the ones everyone knows about. Plus I think xcilo or w/e is a newegg house brand so it should be decent. Got good specs on it.
 
Well I know there was no reviews but you got to take chances on new brands or you will just be stuck with the ones everyone knows about. Plus I think xcilo or w/e is a newegg house brand so it should be decent.
XClio is not Newegg's house brand. I simply don't see a reason to go with an unknown PSU line with no PSU reviews considering how bloody important a PSU is to a PC. There are plenty of other lesser known brands (Kingwin, XFX, certain Enermaxs, Cougars, and Rosewills) out there other than Antec, Seasonic, or Corsair that actually have proper PSU reviews backing them up. Short of a wanton need to gamble completely, no reason to take a gamble on a new and completely unknown PSU brand if there are plenty of other PSU brands out there that have been properly reviewed.

Not to mention the warranty.
Got good specs on it.
Specs don't matter if they're not backed up by proper reviews. There are ton of PSUs that have good specs but were found to be complete crap when actually properly tested.
 
Well I know there was no reviews but you got to take chances on new brands or you will just be stuck with the ones everyone knows about. Plus I think xcilo or w/e is a newegg house brand so it should be decent. Got good specs on it.

Taking a chance isnt just with the PS, cuz if it decides to blow, it could take all of your system with it. Id take Danny Bui's advice, but the choice is yours.

+1 on the 212+ cpu cooler also.
 
What resolution are you gaming at?

There's absolutely no way that single 570 is bottlenecking your 1090t in gaming. You seriously should stick with your current build (and get a good power supply) and wait things out, and do a proper upgrade with a GPU upgrade when you can. As it is right now, you stand to gain absolutely nothing with your upgrade (besides lower power consumption).
 
What resolution are you gaming at?

There's absolutely no way that single 570 is bottlenecking your 1090t in gaming. You seriously should stick with your current build (and get a good power supply) and wait things out, and do a proper upgrade with a GPU upgrade when you can. As it is right now, you stand to gain absolutely nothing with your upgrade (besides lower power consumption).

I game at 1080p.

I've been reading on msg boards and people seem to say to notice a pretty big increase going from x6 to i7. I def did feel a bottleneck on my gtx570CE with the 1090t, not a big one but its there. Even with it clocked at 3.8 and NB at 2.8. Also my am3 aka current mobo has one pci-e slot which i don't like cuz i can't sli. So figured might as well go i7 instead of AM3+ if i'm going to get a new board.

This is my hobby and I don't mind blowing the cash. I love the latest and the greatest lol.

from 2007 to 2009 i kinda gave pc hardware seen a brake. I miss playing with fastest CPUs lol.
 
Last edited:
Usually, those big increases come from playing at high resolutions with highly clocked i7s (4.5 ghz+) in SLI/crossfire setups. And a lot of that could also be purely placebo effects or numerical but not noticeable increases (70 FPS vs 90 FPS for instance).

How did you feel the bottleneck, and in what games?
 
Usually, those big increases come from playing at high resolutions with highly clocked i7s (4.5 ghz+) in SLI/crossfire setups. And a lot of that could also be purely placebo effects or numerical but not noticeable increases (70 FPS vs 90 FPS for instance).

How did you feel the bottleneck, and in what games?

BF3 the most my min fps can get pretty horrible at times. Any lil bump in the CPU mhz gave me a nice boost till i stayed a 3.8 which gave me about 7-10 fps boost. I'm sure with a i7 i can prob get a good 15-20 fps more. Which sure will help when things start to get in the 20s. Plus I want to go SLI one day and game at something higher then 1080.
 
Back
Top