First Free Software Blu-ray Encoder

Rofl-Mic-Lofl

For Whom The Bell Trolls
The x264 project has released an entirely free Blu-ray encoder. It even comes with a torrent containing free content for you to view just incase you didn’t believe them ;)
With x264’s powerful compression, as demonstrated by the incredibly popular BD-Rebuilder Blu-ray backup software, it’s quite possible to author Blu-ray disks on DVD9s (dual-layer DVDs) or even DVD5s (single-layer DVDs) with a reasonable level of quality. With a free software encoder and less need for an expensive Blu-ray burner, we are one step closer to putting HD optical media creation in the hands of the everyday user.

Packing a brd down to dvd5 totally defeats the point of bluray. seriously. and sure, it'll look better than a eve (probably). but again who cares. I didn't invest in a big display to watch macroblocks and quant banding.

Packing a brd down to dvd5 totally defeats the point of bluray. seriously. and sure, it'll look better than a eve (probably). but again who cares. I didn't invest in a big display to watch macroblocks and quant banding.

Fail...

Be nice to be able to create DVD discs of your Blu-ray collections for portable players and laptops though. You could save money and buy Blu-ray alone than go looking for the Blu-ray/DVD combo pack.

But MultiAVCHD has been doing this for almost 2 years now. It will take almost any file format and convert it to either AVCHD compliant file or a bluray disc.

I'm not so sure about that "reasonable level of quality" bit. x264 is amazing, but a feature-length film on a DVD9 at 1080p? Not quite there, in my opinion. Needs a bit more breathing room than a DVD9 affords.

Now, 720p — that's easy.

I'm not so sure about that "reasonable level of quality" bit. x264 is amazing, but a feature-length film on a DVD9 at 1080p? Not quite there, in my opinion. Needs a bit more breathing room than a DVD9 affords.

Now, 720p — that's easy.

Try watching a film at 720p vs 1080p from 10-15ft away... it'd be pretty hard to tell the difference. For people who are going to use this for watching films I doubt they'll care about the difference either :p

And yea I've been able to burn 1080p video onto DVD's for a while now... just compress them... alot

Last time I looked there wasn't a free bluray player yet. I'd like to play them back before worrying about encoding them.

Now, 720p — that's easy.

I have seen 1080p rips from HDDVD movies taking around 8 gigs. Imho fitting it onto DVD9 is only a matter of downgrading sound tracks.

Last time I looked there wasn't a free bluray player yet. I'd like to play them back before worrying about encoding them.

free players exist BUT no real-time decoding exists (that is the real problem). The BR needs to be ripped and un-encoded 1st

I have seen 1080p rips from HDDVD movies taking around 8 gigs. Imho fitting it onto DVD9 is only a matter of downgrading sound tracks.

Blasphemy. I would rather run the video at 720p and keep the ear candy. Any good upscaler makes me pretty happy but the sound is so much better.

Why not check the bitrate of releases, chances are it is 2 = 3x the amount thus better quality, even decent .avi rips can look good on a HD Tv, at least on my 42' Sony Bravia.

it is like saying a DVD9 ripped via x264 sucks cause it is only 1.2G vs a 4.6G DVD5 rip....

Blasphemy. I would rather run the video at 720p and keep the ear candy. Any good upscaler makes me pretty happy but the sound is so much better.

AMEN.

Why does EVERYONE want to sacrifice audio. Jeez, isn't Dolby Digital enough of a sacrifice. Give me DTS / DTS-ES or death!

Back