First External HDD

RicKuRuKuS

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, finally getting around to purchasing my first external HDD and I am just looking for a few tips and pointers in the right direction here. I am mostly just going to be using it for storing music, movies, and photos. I have a laptop and desktop that I use often and just want to have one place where I save my files that is at least 1TB. I know Western Digital has a good track record but what other things should I be looking for when purchasing an external? Thanks for the help guys, this site never fails! ::cool:

-warsaw

buy an external enclosure with your choice of connections (usb/sata/firewire), preferrably aluminum, and as big of a drive you can afford. put them together, format the drive, and enjoy!

buy an external enclosure with your choice of connections (usb/sata/firewire), preferrably aluminum, and as big of a drive you can afford. put them together, format the drive, and enjoy!

x2

and go for a Green power or GP/LP drive!

so dont go with the premade externals? i dont understand really... i want something somewhat transportable as I travel a ton.. (pilot)

It's a matter of choice and flexibility. Pre-builts are great for those who just want a quick-and-easy external drive, but you have no freedom in the choice of external enclosure, internal drive, or warranty if you ever choose or ever need to take the internal drive out as that would probably void the warranty. There are great third-party external drives that would fit your need, coupled with the choice of internal drives and their separate warranties justifies a bit of extra cost in my opinion.

so dont go with the premade externals? i dont understand really... i want something somewhat transportable as I travel a ton.. (pilot)

You do understand that a premade external has exactly the same drives, but sometimes cheaper models, as used in your desktop, right?

If I were in a pilot's shoes, I'd be looking at 2.5" laptop drives that can be USB powered and install it in a 2.5" case to carry with me.

I agree, with 2.5" drives getting into plenty large enough sizes for most uses these days, they definitely seem the way to go. They are also built to be mobile so they will probably be a bit more reliable after being tossed about for a while.

You do understand that a premade external has exactly the same drives, but sometimes cheaper models, as used in your desktop, right?

If I were in a pilot's shoes, I'd be looking at 2.5" laptop drives that can be USB powered and install it in a 2.5" case to carry with me.

That looks pretty good but my laptop (Dell Vostro 1500) does not have any SATA ports. Only USB 2.0... Thanks for the suggestions so far guys! Any way I can find an internal 2.5" drive that is USB and then put it in one of those cases or enclosures you guys were showing me?

Back