First-Ever 2020 Toyota Supra Sells for a Whopping $2.1 Million

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Toyota officially unveiled the return of its performance icon this week, the Supra, which was originally discontinued in 1998. While some old-school connoisseurs of the Japanese sports car legend have criticized it for having a "weak" engine and lacking manual transmission, among other things, there was at least one fan who really, really loved the modern interpretation: the first Supra (VIN 20201) managed to sell for a colossal $2.1 million at the Barrett-Jackson Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona last night.

That's almost double what the first 2020 Ford Shelby Mustang GT500 pulled at the same venue, 42 times the 2020 Supra's starting MSRP of $49,990, and over 17 times more than what that pristine 1994 version sold for on Bring a Trailer a couple weeks ago. The car is finished in matte gray with matte black wheels and, to make it really stand out at Cars and Coffee, gloss red wing mirrors. To continue the racer-boy theme, the interior is red with carbon fiber inserts.

Last edited:
Yet again the mk4 supra just went up in value, but a lot more this time.

Its's likely pocket change for the buyer. Doubt they care what people think, they get to drive sweet new cars, now.
It's not like a 1-off super car or anything is it?

I think this was just for tax write off purposes and/or donating to charity.

The Supra Turbo has always been one of my all-time favorite cars ... and this new version so far sounds incredibly disappointing. Why tf would they make it an automatic? I can’t even ...

It’s a tax write off and collecter’s item. The car will go sit on a polished floor in a climate controlled garage next to other seven figure cars. Toyota is making exactly one car in this matte silver finish so it’s guaranteed to be unique as well.

Most of the first set will be garage queens. I'd rather have a budget mr2 fleet at that price.

The Supra was not popular because of it's off the shelf design. It was unusual, a fluke really, because it's engine and driveline we capable of withstanding upgrades allowing it to quadruple the power offered by the factory.

That is no longer the case, it's just a modern, mediocre power car with design similarities to the original, but without the incredible power potential.

The Supra was not popular because of it's off the shelf design. It was unusual, a fluke really, because it's engine and driveline we capable of withstanding upgrades allowing it to quadruple the power offered by the factory.

That is no longer the case, it's just a modern, mediocre power car with design similarities to the original, but without the incredible power potential.
The main argument for the car I see is that BMW underrates their engines, so you'll get a reasonable amount of power from it, on the other hand, the cons I hear regarding BMWs is that maintenance is expensive and they turn into money pits when modified. I'm not optimistic, but I'm still interested in seeing the numbers when journalists can run it through its paces and when people put them on a dyno and modify them.

The main argument for the car I see is that BMW underrates their engines, so you'll get a reasonable amount of power from it, on the other hand, the cons I hear regarding BMWs is that maintenance is expensive and they turn into money pits when modified. I'm not optimistic, but I'm still interested in seeing the numbers when journalists can run it through its paces and when people put them on a dyno and modify them.

If someone was worried about HP though, they should just start with the much more powerful (on paper) Z4.

If someone was worried about HP though, they should just start with the much more powerful (on paper) Z4.
Which is why this Supra will fade into oblivion. All it has is its name unless it has some kind of awesome handling characteristics that get it around a track faster than a Z4. Then again, if the lack of HP is easily overcome with a reflash, enthusiasts may be willing to take that route.

Why not bring back the 2JZGTE??? Amazing engine, bullit proof and can take horsepower like no tomorrow. It has to cost them more using another manufacturers engine.... Hell a 400hp 3SGTE would have made more sense.

Good gawd, what an atrocity (both in looks and overall design). I used to own a Mark III, and the Mark IV was one of my all-time favorite cars. You couldn't pay me to own this new garbage though.

It’s a tax write off and collecter’s item. The car will go sit on a polished floor in a climate controlled garage next to other seven figure cars. Toyota is making exactly one car in this matte silver finish so it’s guaranteed to be unique as well.
Yup, rich people love these charity auctions, they write off everything.

So bitter. Guy or gal wanted a one of a kind first edition of a remake of a historic vehicle. Why judge, who cares? And it's a fine looking vehicle with great performance for 50k. This thread sounds more like a lot of jealousy than constructive input (especially with some of the misunderstanding of finance works).

So bitter. Guy or gal wanted a one of a kind first edition of a remake of a historic vehicle. Why judge, who cares? And it's a fine looking vehicle with great performance for 50k.

you seem to have missed part of the thread's title ... "WHOPPING $2.1 Million"

you seem to have missed part of the thread's title ... "WHOPPING $2.1 Million"
Saw it. Doesnt matter to me. Watched someone pay 4 mil for a laferrari with 2k miles. I would never do it, but also dont understand why it's a big deal. Far more laferraris and this is one of a kind. Can you value that vehicle? I'd say it's at this point worth 2.1mm.

Edit: yes this vehicle sold for that much. Retail is 50k. I can read. I was referring to this particular vehicle obviously.

Last edited:

That's the trick with this one though, detune it and the offer upgrades for "safe extra hp".

Just 335 horsepower and 365 lb-ft of torque... I don't really care for the looks too but at least Toyota is creating something with a decent amount of power. I rather get a 2018 Chevy Camaro SS with 455HP and 455 lb-ft of torque.

I was really hoping for more when they announced the return of the Supra. I figured they would had gotten more power out of a turbo six-cylinder at that price point. Ford's base-line mustang with a turbo four-cylinder has 310 horse-power and about 350 lb-ft of torque.

Why not bring back the 2JZGTE??? Amazing engine, bullit proof and can take horsepower like no tomorrow. It has to cost them more using another manufacturers engine.... Hell a 400hp 3SGTE would have made more sense.

Because the 2JZ-GTE is 30 years old and couldn't meet emissions standards 15 years ago. As for the 3S-GTE, the B48 version is probably going to be available in the US, it's just a B58 with two less cylinders.

Just 335 horsepower and 365 lb-ft of torque... I don't really care for the looks too but at least Toyota is creating something with a decent amount of power. I rather get a 2018 Chevy Camaro SS with 455HP and 455 lb-ft of torque.

And yet it and the Camaro SS 1LE run identical 4.1s 0-60 times if you use the numbers Toyota has published for it.

The looks of it are growing on me, however I'm saddened that a flagship sports car with the heritage of the supra name would share a chassis and overall design and drive train with another brand. If they merged the lfa with the 86 I think they could've made something in house that would be a lot more iconic. That being said, I'm glad Toyota didn't go the route of so many other brands of bringing back a classic but in modern super-sized fashion.

More like the Camaro is around 365 also. American companies play the HP game. It is 455 at the crank not to the wheels like how most none American car companies determine HP.

BMWs don't turn into money pits, BMWs are money pits.

Back