First DX10 comming Q4!

heatlesssun said:
DX10 will NOT require Vista first off. Many of the features that will be shipped in Vista will be available to XP, as Microsoft realized that businesses aren't going to upgrade to Vista for a while, if ever. Most on going to be on XP for quite a while. Vista and XP are going to coexist for a long time, meaning that both will get 1st level support.

As for XP, though its had is share of security issues, overall it's worked very well. I've espcially liked the Tablet and Media Center versions. They offer something unique and the latest verions have really been neat. Windows Media Center IMHO is the best HTPC system around, with one glaring hole, the lack of real HDTV support. But that's more of a problem with hardware than software.

As for Vista, it's got a lot more going on than the interface. It really will be the first version of Windows that has a good secuity model. Current Windows versions don't do what UNIX has done from the begining, that is work from a default deny philosophy. Most Windows users log in as administrators (because for the most part you have to). With Vista, like UNIX, you'd almost never do that. If you need higher privledges, you'd only do so when prompted, what Microsoft calls User Account Protection. That and IE will by default run as a VERY limited user. It won't be able to do the crap it does today by default.

These changes will solve 90% of the security issues in Windows, at least problems like the WMF hole. Visiting a web site won't take over your computer anymore, If a hole does arise, apps won't by default be running under high privleged accounts like administrator that can infect your PC.
Most of Vistas new features wont make it to windows XP. I dont know if you have used the newest vista beta yet but dam is it different. DX10 in XP isnt comfirmed yet so quit fighting weather it will be or not. But my guess is no just because of how DX10 is suposed to work.(shutting down all but the most crital services runing when a game is ran)

Yes, you are correct and I was wrong. DX10 is not a confirmed feature in XP, but I cannot possibly believe that it won't be. That just too many potential customers for Microsoft partners to loose out on.

Actually though a LOT of Vista services will be ad on's to XP, espcially the ones that have a large corporate audience, like the Windows Workflow Foundation and a lot of the Avalon XML GUI stuff. Not to mention that IE 7 will also be there. At one time Microsoft wasn't going to release this as an and on, but it really had no choice, espcially with the surge of FireFox.

Would be nice if I had a magic crystal ball and knew precisely when dx10 cards were going ot be released, and Vista. I'd hate to upgrade just to have all my stuff not to work right with new games next year.

Cypher19 said:
It's a little bit different with D3D10. Before, various hardware capabilities were checked typically on a per-feature basis. Meaning, a dev would have to check for things like FP texture support, FP texture blending, FP texture filtering and so on, individually. With D3D10's guaranteed feature set, all a dev has to do is check "Is this card D3D10 spec? Yes? Alright, go crazy. No? Then screw it, D3D9 for you!".

So all those guys saying that their video cards support certain DX10 features are pointless, since it's an all or nothing deal?

when dx10 comes out im sure the change from dx9->dx10 will be really slow, like agp->pcie

Sly said:
So all those guys saying that their video cards support certain DX10 features are pointless, since it's an all or nothing deal?

who says this?

xdkimx said:
when dx10 comes out im sure the change from dx9->dx10 will be really slow, like agp->pcie
I doubt it. Specialy since DX10 will have phyics support which will be really popular in games and will also look extremely nice. I'm 99% sure DX10 will ship with vista for a few reasons. One of main reasons is I have inside source that says so :D

Back