• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

First Dell now Maxtor

unhappy_mage said:
This. Hard drives don't spontaneously make gouges in themselves. And the fact that the motor controller is what burned out is what makes me suspicious of your whole setup. Sorry.

Agreed. I had a maxtor drive that had a head crash. I took it out and ended up showing a couple of friends the nice noises it was making. After about 15-20 seconds that same chip melted down. The motor control chip on those maxtors run crazy hot. All it takes is a little extra friction on the platters and it will have a nice little meltdown. A head crash is more than enough to cause it.

So back to dracos. You had a nice head crash, the motor controller overheated and went poof. These things happen, and people need to get off dracos' ass about it. A head crash does not equal bad treatment. Hard drives can have manufacturing defects like any other product.

The problem I have is that you can in no way compare it to the whole Dell/Apple/Sony battery problem. The laptop battery burn much longer, are extremely hot and can do things like burn your house down. These are all very good reasons to have a recall and be worried. However when a maxtor drive melts down like this, 99.9% of the time it is going to be sitting inside of a metal case and the flames only last a few seconds. There is no real worry that this small fire will disfigure someone or burn their house down, like a laptop battery can. So I say just take out the Dell references and I have no problem with your article.
 
Ya know what..

I give up, I was there, I know what happened, I explained what happened.. there is nothing to read into about the whole thing...

I'm not a liar and I am really tired of being called one, or the inference that I am lying.

There was no Second Gunmen on the grassy knoll either... so continue along with the conspiracy therory if you want to...

I give up explaing myself when obviously no one is going to believe me that it happened like it did... (well some do...)

so believe I dropped it, believe I threw it against the wall, believe I dunked into a tank of water, believe that there was a second gunmen, believe it's a conspiracy to take over the world if you want, I'm tired of explaining it..

It happend like it did, if you don't want to belive that, then that's a personal problem I guess
 
I believe you. Hard drives are crazy and assplode all the time man...all the time. I know the cause of it though....all that damn pron!
 
I'd really start a class action suit. Every smart American knows that's the first thing to do.
 
Back
Top