First build won't post. Help

Gobstopper

n00b
Well I just pieced together the build I described in this thread: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1032858047#post1032858047 and I'm having trouble. Powering it up for the first time, I see the fans start spinning, but I don't hear any beeps. The monitor is just blank aside from the message that it's trying to search for a signal. The case LEDs light up and the fan LED is also working so I don't think it's the PSU. I'm almost certain there's nothing under the motherboard that might be shorting it out.

One thing I'm uncertain of is the power connector for the hard drive. The connection doesn't go all the way in, but a friend of mine says that's normal since the input isn't that deep and that as long as it's flush with the back of the hard drive then it's fine. Any ideas?

Here are the specs:

Monitor: Samsung 2493HM
Motherboard: GASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
Heatsink: XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
Video Card: EVGA 896-P3-1260-AR GeForce GTX 260
Ram: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S203B
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Case: Cooler Master RC-690-KKN1-GP Black

Do the following:
Enginurd said:
/*------------- <cut n paste> -------------*/
If you have both the 20/24 pin main ATX connector plugged in, AND the 4-Pin ATX12V P4 CPU connector plugged in, then the board should boot fine.

You could test the PSU. Jump start it (on the main atx connector, short the green wire with any black wire, using a paperclip), and see if it stays on. If not, then its probably a faulty PSU. If it works then proceed (though, in rare cases, it may still be the PSU at fault).

Setup everything outside of the case, with the mobo on top of its cardboard box. Plug in only the essentials:
- PSU (namely: main 20/24-pin ATX connector and 4-pin ATX12V P4 CPU Connector)
- CPU w/ HSF
- Single stick of ram
- Videocard if there is no onboard video
- Monitor
- Keyboard
- System speaker/buzzer

* Use a screwdriver if your board doesnt have an onboard power switch. Jump the two power switch leads to turn the power on.

If it won't POST, try different RAM slots. If it still won't POST, pull out the ram (so no ram in the system) and listen for error beeps. If none, pull the vidcard and listen for error beeps. If none, re-seat the CPU/HSF and try again. Report back with results if you're still having issues.
/*------------- </cut n paste> -------------*/

Definitely make sure both the 20/24 main ATX and 4-pin ATX12V are plugged in! Was building my setup just today and totally forgot the 4-Pin connector; nearly terrified me ;)

Going to do what Danny Bui said tomorrow afternoon since I have an 8 am class in about 10 hours so don't really have time at the moment.

distantstar:Yeah I checked those and unfortunately, they were both plugged in. =( I was hoping it was that simple too.

Additional Question: My G skill ram is DDR2 1000. It's not listed on the QVL for the p5q pro. Does anyone know for a fact that my ram is compatible with my mobo? I'm thinking about getting a stick of cheap ram that's on the QVL, but I don't want to spend money if someone can confirm that my ram does work with my mobo.

Also, if I can't figure it out, do you guys think it's a good idea to have it sent to a computer repair shop? I'm not experienced enough to troubleshoot this on my own. I was thinking about going to Best Buy and having Geek Squad take a look, but I don't really trust them.

That Asus P5Qpro has an 8 pin EATX +12V power connector. It will have 4 pins covered with a flat plastic tab. Did you have this power connector connected with only the 4 pin +12v connector? I just put together a build for my friend with this motherboard and I occupied the entire 8 pin connector. I put the 2 x +12V 4 pin connectors in there as I did not see an 8 pin 12V connector on the Corsair TX650PSU. I wasn't sure if it will run with only a 4pin +12v connector in there soo. I shoved both 4 pin 12V connectors in there.

I only used 4 pins since the other 4 were covered. I'll try using 8 pins and see if that works.

I'll update tomorrow since I need to go to bed for class =) Thanks for the help everyone and I'll see if I can get this thing going tomorrow.

It's pretty stupid what the Asus manuel stated. It mentions the 8 pin EATX +12v connector but, it does not state anything about only using 1 x 4pin +12v is needed if you are running a single GPU. It stated: "you must connect the 8 pin EATX +12v connector or it will not boot" It does not say anything about if you have 2 x GPUs in crossfire. So, based on this, I just decided to plug the 2 x 4pin +12v connectors in there. You must look carefully though as only 1 of the 2 4pin +12v connector will fit perfectly. They are keyed differently.

I'll update tomorrow since I need to go to bed for class =) Thanks for the help everyone and I'll see if I can get this thing going tomorrow.

How can you sleep! New PC that won't POST?! @_@ I'd be tossing and turning.

Pulled the motherboard out of the case and set it on the cardboard. Had it setup with:

Videocard
Ram (1 stick)
CPU + Heatsink

I hooked up my headphones to the green audio input on the motherboard since I have no other way of hearing error beeps. I powered it up, no beeps, still no image on screen. 1 thing I noticed was that the videocard fan wasn't spinning. Is it supposed to start spinning when I turn it on? I tried the 2 different pci-e slots (blue and black) that are supposed to run at full speed in a single vidcard setup. Could it be the gpu?

Looks like I've figured it out. I switched out the PCI-e power cords from the PSU. I guess I have a faulty one in there. It has posted. I'll see if I can get this running.

Thanks for the help guys.

Back