First Build Question / Help

Jokerman

n00b
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
General Programming, Gamming (FPS, and WOW) and Work, and some Video editing, Game Recording (from Xbox and Computer Screen)
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Less than $2,400
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
US, WI
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, CPU Fan, RAM, Motherboard, PSU, HDD, Case, GPU(not now tho), Thinking of a SSD (250GB)
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
N/A - Interface parts (Keyboard, Monitor, Mouse)
6) Will you be overclocking?
If it possible with the setup I have
7) 7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1920x1080
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
2 - 3 Months
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
SLI, USB 3.0, Sata 6GB/s, onboard video (optional)
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Don't have one yet but will when buying parts (Win 7 64bit)

CPU - Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K

Motherboard - ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU Fan - Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL10D-16GBXL
maybe a 4 x 4GB rather than 4 x 8GB

Case - Rosewill THOR V2 Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case, support up to E-ATX / XL-ATX, come with Four Fans - 1 x Front Red LED 230mm Fan, 1 x Top 230mm Fan, 1 x Side 230mm Fan, 1 x Rear 140mm Fan

PSU - ?????? COOLER MASTER GX Series RS650-ACAAE3-US 650W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply ??????

So ya... this is what I think I'll like to get but got a question about the CPU fan and case and RAM spacing --- Will the CPU fan listed fit on my motherboard with 4 sticks of ram and also fit in the case?

and this is going to be my first computer build :D

EDIT: i added links to each components

Last edited:
With that much of a budget, you might consider a nice SSD.

You got any in mind? i was thinking of using the SSD for OS and disk intensive applications

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
4 - 6 months
You're planning this build way too soon then. There's no guarantee that any of the parts you selected or the parts we recommend will still be in stock, well priced, or up-to-date in two months let alone 4-6 months. So your best bet for an up to date build list is to plan and ask for advice when you're 2-3 weeks aways from buying the PC parts. Otherwise, you're doing yourself a great disservice and wasting your time.

But if you were planning on buying the parts within a month from now:

Not a good choice: There are significantly faster hard drives out there for less:
$120 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$120 - Hitachi Desktar 7K1000.D HDS721010DLE630 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Several things:
1) If you plan on 32GB of RAM in the future, you will need Windows 7 Professional 64bit.
2) Intel CPUs do not benefit from higher speed RAM. As such, you would not notice an iota of difference between DDR3 1866 RAM and DDR3 1333 RAM. So you'll save $45 with this RAM:
$105 - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series F3-10666CL9D-16GBXL 2 x 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM

3) If you're fine with 16GB of RAM, I recommend this RAM:
$42 - G.Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM

A bit pricey for that kind of case. I recommend any of these cases instead:
$100 - Corsair Carbide Series 400R ATX Case
$100 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case
$118 - Corsair Carbide Series 500R ATX Case
$120 - Fractal Design Define R3 Arctic White ATX Case
$120 - Fractal Design Define R3 Silver Arrow ATX Case
$125 - Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl ATX Case
$120 - Lian Li PC-9F ATX Case
$120 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Full Tower ATX Case
$130 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Full Tower ATX Case
$130 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-002OR Black Finish w/Orange Trim Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - Antec P280 ATX Case
$140 - Antec Performance One Series P183 V3 ATX Case
$140 - Corsair Obsidian Series 550D ATX Case
$144 - Silverstone RV03B-WA ATX case
$150 - Silverstone TJ04B-EW ATX Case
$160 - Corsair Graphite Series 600TM ATX Case
$160 - Silverstone RV02B-W ATX case
$164 - Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T ATX Case
$178 - Silverstone RV02B-EW ATX case
$170 - Corsair Obsidian Series 650D ATX Case
$220 - Silverstone FT02S-W ATX Case
$230 - Silverstone FT02B ATX Case
$270 - Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Full Tower ATX Case

Pretty shitty power supply. I recommend this significantly better quality GPU instead:
$90 - Corsair 650TX V2 650W PSU

SSD wise, go for the Crucial m4 series, Plextor m3 series, Samsung 830 series, or Intel 520 series.

Again, can't guarantee that the above will be the same recommendations I'll be making in 4-6 months from now.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
EDIT: Changed my plan time to buy to 2 - 3 Months

Ok thinking of replaceing my CPU fan with this one ... not the Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

-- SpinQ VT

EDIT: Changed my plan time to buy to 2 - 3 Months
Still doesn't change what I said: You're still planning too early and your best bet for up to date advice is to ask 2-3 weeks before your actual purchase date
Ok thinking of replaceing my CPU fan with this one ... not the Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

-- SpinQ VT
Not a good choice since this $30 HSF outperforms it:
$30 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus HSF for LGA 1366 and LGA 1156

Common Danny cant ya let me dream LOL

As far as for overclocking it... Do I have the necessary parts to do it safely?

and thank you for all your help :D

NZXT Phantom PHAN-002OR Newegg Exclusive Black Finish w/Orange Trim Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case

This one... i added the link to the final build up there

And Danny it a matter of when i get the money to buy this i gotta start saving up for it.
Then save up the money and ask for advice again to make sure that you're actually getting good parts. The PC setup you listed is fine if buying this month but there's already a few things that can/will be changed in 2-3 months from now:
  • In 2-3 months from now, more than likely I would not be recommending the 2600K considering that its sucessor, the i7 3770K, has been announced. But it's taking time for those to show up in retail
  • If the GTX 680 actually becomes more widely available and priced a little closer to the HD 7970, I'd actually recommend the GTX 680 over the HD 7970.
  • As more reviews of other motherboards come out, I probably won't recommend the Asus Sabertooth if it stays at its current pricing. The only reason why I'm recommending the Asus Sabertooth in the first place is because it has a higher chance of being stable and of good quality. But more than likely there will be reviews showing just as reliable, good quality and cheaper mobos out there in the months to come. As such, the Sabertooth won't be that much of a good choice later on unless one is inclined to spend more money than necessary.
  • The Hyper 212+'s replacement, the Hyper 212 EVO has been out for a while and may end up at the Hyper 212+'s price point.

So no you don't have a final setup just yet. Again, just wait, save up the money, and ask for build advice again to make sure that you're getting a solid setup.

So no you don't have a final setup just yet. Again, just wait, save up the money, and ask for build advice again to make sure that you're getting a solid setup.

Ya... I have a better understanding on what to look for in the future :D Thanks again Danny

Just as an FYI, I'm not sure how long those Special Edition Phantoms will be around. Could be a a few months, could be a year. Don't want to panic you, but you never know these days.

Hmmmm if i get the Case now will it still be fitting for future Motherboards?

and i been reading that case review... the top fan doesn't last and hard to find replacements

Time to fire up this thread again,

I been looking around and i found this case that i like better than the one i found CASE

Also i'm wondering if it worth it to get this -->CPU<--?

I understand with this CPU i need to change my motherboard

Time to fire up this thread again,

I been looking around and i found this case that i like better than the one i found CASE

Also i'm wondering if it worth it to get this -->CPU<--?

I understand with this CPU i need to change my motherboard

That case would do fine. I think its ugly as hell but I don't have to look at it every day. LOL

Definately not on the CPU. Just get a 2770K instead and keep the mobo you choose.

After giving thought.... Not really it was really that i saw the awsomeness... and i "thought" i need it lol

and malinois1 what case u reconmend?

And... is this build still good or is there a better cpu if there is, link plz

And... is this build still good or is there a better cpu if there is, link plz
Not really. The GPU, CPU, and mobo aren't that great of a choice any more. Now when are you buying the parts?

Swap the GPU out for the faster GTX 670:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130782

If you want to spend more money, get the GTX 680

Due to the lower power usage of GTX 670/680 SLI and to ease cable management, I recommend getting a modular PSU:
$160 - Seasonic X750 Gold 750W Modular PSU

I have to go back on my last statement: The 2600K is still a decent choice since its market price has been lowered.

Motherboard wise, I'd recommend this MSI:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130643

Back