• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

First build ever, need some help

Biggie73

n00b
Joined
Oct 22, 2010
Messages
2
A friend on mine refereed me to this site, and this forum community definitely has it going on, I have read and researched alot of really good posts.

Hope I answered these all correctly

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming (WoW, COD, Future MMOs, RPGS, D3, etc), General Web browsing
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1,200 or less
3) Where do you live?
Vancouver, Washington
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, GPU, MOBO, Hard Drive, Memory, Power Supply, Case, Keyboard & Mouse. I think thats everything
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
None
6) Will you be overclocking?
Not from the start, need to learn how to lol.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
Start on my Toshiba 120hrtz, 1080p HDTV, might try and get a monitor later down the road
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
ASAP
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
I'd like to be able to have these supports but not sure if I need them all. RAID, Crossfire or SLI support, USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s.. I am going to run a single GPU to start
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
No, but I plan on running Windows 7


So this is going to be my first build, I have been contemplating AMD or Intel but since AMD is cheaper I am leaning towards AMD, but definitely open to suggestions. The GPU is definitely the chip that I have the hardest decision on. I waiting to post until the 6870 came out. I am leaning towards that chip but open to any 5870s, GTX 460s, or any other. I'd like a mobo that will be able to handle newer GPUs later down the line, in case I want to upgrade to SLI, Crossfire, or even the 69XX or GTX 5 series.

This is my current shopping card on new egg.

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

GPU - XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150506

MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128444

Case - Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.1 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148433

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

Power Supply - CORSAIR 750W ATX12V
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

DVD Drive - ASUS Black 24X DVD+R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

Cart is almost to $1,000.

I am trying to weed out things I dont need, or things I need. I'd rather have to much than to little. Any suggestions on a different part is greatly appreciated. This is my very first build.

Thanks HardForum Community :)
 
Just a FYI, if you go AMD, you won't be using SLI since no AMD chipset officially supports SLI. If you want SLI capability, you will need to go with Intel.

Anyway, some modifications to your build:

- Go for this CPU + mobo combo instead:
$255 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition CPU + Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AMD 890GX ATX Motherboard Combo

Barely noticeable slower CPU but with a significantly jump in quality and features set for the motherboard. And it's $15 cheaper than your current setup as well.

- At $80 shipped, the Antec 300 case is a poor buy. These are significantly better cases for the money:
$70 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K56 ATX Case
$70 - Cooler Master RC-590-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$70 - Cooler Master CM690 II Basic ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master CM690 II Advance ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case

- Ditch the Seagate since you can get a faster 1TB drive for the same price:
$70 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

- For $10 more, you can get a better quality PSU:
$120 - Antec Truepower New TP-750 750W PSU

- RAM wise, you can save $40 and still get the same real world performance by getting two of this set of RAM:
$70 - G.Skill Ripjaw Series F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
 
Just a FYI, if you go AMD, you won't be using SLI since no AMD chipset officially supports SLI. If you want SLI capability, you will need to go with Intel.

Anyway, some modifications to your build:

- Go for this CPU + mobo combo instead:
$255 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition CPU + Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AMD 890GX ATX Motherboard Combo

Barely noticeable slower CPU but with a significantly jump in quality and features set for the motherboard. And it's $15 cheaper than your current setup as well.

- At $80 shipped, the Antec 300 case is a poor buy. These are significantly better cases for the money:
$70 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K56 ATX Case
$70 - Cooler Master RC-590-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$70 - Cooler Master CM690 II Basic ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master CM690 II Advance ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case

- Ditch the Seagate since you can get a faster 1TB drive for the same price:
$70 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

- For $10 more, you can get a better quality PSU:
$120 - Antec Truepower New TP-750 750W PSU

- RAM wise, you can save $40 and still get the same real world performance by getting two of this set of RAM:
$70 - G.Skill Ripjaw Series F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM

Thanks for the quick reply, so the 1333 RAM compared to the 1600 doesn't matter? (I'm new to the computer tech world). Would you suggest me going with an Intel so I can SLI later? or am I set with an AMD? I hear SLI has alot of complications, and I aint really trying to deal with that, Just a system that is going to run great.

I appreciate all the suggestions, I'll update my cart according to the suggestions.
 
Back
Top