First AMD build

suprayoshi

n00b
What's up guys? last time i did a build was back in 2004 and lasted me threw late 2009 before taking a dump on me... I've been without a desktop P.C. ever sense, and ive come to realize that i miss it so!...

So it's time to build a new one!!!! and i thought i'd try a AMD build for the first time. ive never owned a AMD powered P.C. so i'm interested to see how it goes. I got a build in mind already, and im looking for opinions and recommendations for my build.

The computer will be used for Gaming, web design, video and photo editing, and graphic design.

Tower
Case - Corsair C70 *in black*
Motherboard - ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z
Processor - AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz
Memory - CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB)
PSU - CORSAIR AX850W
SSD - Corsair Force Series GT 120GB **Boot drive Raid 0**
Hard Drives - WD 2TB Green drives **2x i raid 1**
Video Card - GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7970 3GB **Debating on running Cross Fire**
CPU Cooling - Corsaire H100i

Screens
Monitors - ASUS VG278HE Black 27" **plan on running 3 eventually**

Accessory's
Key Board - Corsair Vengeance K90
Mouse - Corsair Vengeance M90 Black
Headset - ASUS Vulcan Pro Circumaural Gaming Headset

like i said before im looking for opinions and recommendations here guys, so don't bash on me to hard please...

Thanks guys!

If you decide to try 3D gaming that's the wrong monitor for an AMD video card. It's designed for Nvidia Nvision 2 exclusively. Also if you're going to do serious photo editing you may want an IPS monitor for richer colors. I'm sure someone else can recommend a nice IPS monitor like the Korean 27" monitors for you.

Please answer the following questions so that we can help you better:
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
6) Will you be overclocking?
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? UEFI? etc.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?

Please answer the following questions so that we can help you better:
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$2500 to start for the build and I could care less about shipping.
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Houston tx.
6) Will you be overclocking? Yes.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? UEFI? etc.
Within the next couple of months. I want to run crossfire, raid the ssd's and storage drives.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
And I got a fresh copy of windows 7 64bit.

If you decide to try 3D gaming that's the wrong monitor for an AMD video card. It's designed for Nvidia Nvision 2 exclusively. Also if you're going to do serious photo editing you may want an IPS monitor for richer colors. I'm sure someone else can recommend a nice IPS monitor like the Korean 27" monitors for you.

Ive tried 3d gaming before and honestly it makes my head hurt lol, I mainly picked these for the refresh. As far as the photo editing goes its mainly for automotive photography and filming, maybe a wedding or to but nothing super crazy.

What's up guys? last time i did a build was back in 2004 and lasted me threw late 2009 before taking a dump on me... I've been without a desktop P.C. ever sense, and ive come to realize that i miss it so!...

So it's time to build a new one!!!! and i thought i'd try a AMD build for the first time. ive never owned a AMD powered P.C. so i'm interested to see how it goes. I got a build in mind already, and im looking for opinions and recommendations for my build.

The computer will be used for Gaming, web design, video and photo editing, and graphic design.

Tower
Case - Corsair C70 *in black*
Motherboard - ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z
Processor - AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz
Memory - CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB)
PSU - CORSAIR AX850W
SSD - Corsair Force Series GT 120GB **Boot drive Raid 0**
Hard Drives - WD 2TB Green drives **2x i raid 1**
Video Card - GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7970 3GB **Debating on running Cross Fire**
CPU Cooling - Corsaire H100i

Screens
Monitors - ASUS VG278HE Black 27" **plan on running 3 eventually**

Accessory's
Key Board - Corsair Vengeance K90
Mouse - Corsair Vengeance M90 Black
Headset - ASUS Vulcan Pro Circumaural Gaming Headset

like i said before im looking for opinions and recommendations here guys, so don't bash on me to hard please...

Thanks guys!
I would just get a 256gb OS/Programs, maybe even a small 64gb for a scratch drive.

If you are dead set on an AMD system, I guess the 8350 is good.
If you want better performance, a 3570K would be good. If you use the computer for business also(video editing), a 3770K is what I would go with.(4 core plus 4 HT)

I was thinking about that but id like to give amd a shot, unless its one of those you get what you pay for deals.

And I got a fresh copy of windows 7 64bit.
Which edition? Home Premium? Pro? etc
Houston tx.
How far is this Microcenter location from you?:
http://microcenter.com/site/stores/houston.aspx
Within the next couple of months. I want to run crossfire, raid the ssd's and storage drives.
If you are going to go with AMD, buy it as soon as possible i.e within 30 days. Intel is supposedly planning on releasing their new Haswell CPUs in June/July. It's already tough enough to recommend an AMD system in this day and age. As such, the longer you wait, the less and less it makes sense to go AMD.
I was thinking about that but id like to give amd a shot, unless its one of those you get what you pay for deals.
The problem is that you've effectively negated AMD's cost advantage by going with such an expensive motherboard. For the amount of the money you're spending on that AMD CPU and particular motherboard, you can easily get a faster, lower power, and lower heat generating Intel setup like the Core i7 3770K and Asus P8Z77-V LK or MSI Z77A-GD55 motherboard.

So in other words, if you really want AMD, go with a cheaper ~$150 mobo. Otherwise, it's just a plain bad idea to go with AMD from a price to performance standpoint considering ther performance difference between the Core i7 3770K and AMD FX-8350:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/551?vs=697

The link Danny has shows performance at stock with no thermal information.

The AMD system will put out quite a bit more heat. Once you OC it becomes alot more apparent! The Intel will also pull ahead in the OC in terms of speed.

I do like AMD, so I am not bashing them or anything.

i have to ask is there a reason why you want AMD besides to just have one.. as this really isn't the time as Intel's offerings are faster, cooler and use less power.

The link Danny has shows performance at stock with no thermal information.

The AMD system will put out quite a bit more heat. Once you OC it becomes alot more apparent! The Intel will also pull ahead in the OC in terms of speed.

That is a fair point. Here's are some links showing the power usage difference between the FX-8350 and Core i7 3770K/Core i5 3570K
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/fx-8350-8320-6300-4300_8.html#sect0
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/11/06/amd-fx-8350-review/7
http://techreport.com/review/23750/amd-fx-8350-processor-reviewed/4

While the numbers vary, the above articles do show that there's a pretty sizable power usage difference.

I originally wanted to go with the i7 3770k from the start and drop in a z77 sabertooth mobo. But I had heard about amd's latest and greatest and then I saw the price for everything and I think in the end that's what got me. cause when I did both builds the only difference was the mobo & chip. The price just leaned me to AMD and I figured id give it a shot.

But no, theres no real reason why i went amd over intel other the $$$ and seeing as how I just got my tax return the budget can go up lol.

But no, theres no real reason why i went amd over intel other the $$$ and seeing as how I just got my tax return the budget can go up lol.

Your $2500 is already enough for a powerful Intel setup. In any case, read the links I provided and see if you really want to go AMD after that.

Also please answer my earlier questions.

Also please answer my earlier questions.

edit: reading the thread backwards > me :eek:

I agree with everyone here as well, no need or point in going with an AMD setup with your budget and projected uses. Intel for sure. Very few specific reasons to go AMD this generation and you don't meet any of that criteria.

-the closest one is 20 miles from me.

-I got a clean Windows 7 Ult. 64bit

then that settles it lol, intel it is. i already wanted to use the 3770K but ive been looking at two asus boards

ASUS Maximus V FORMULA

Or

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77

there's only a $30 difference, and i've read good reviews about both boards. Is there any major reason why i'd pick one over the other??

The Maxixmus V is designed for water cooling, heavy duty overclocking, and has a three year warranty. The Sabertooth Z77 is designed for stability, longevity, and has a 5 year warranty.

Also, since you live near a Microcenter, pick up the Core i7 3770K from there since it's avaialble for $230 from there.

The Sabertooth is on sale ($10 off) at Newegg today only with a coupon code given to newsletter subscribers. I don't know how that compares to Microcenter.

I apologize. That item is actually in the 72-hour category.

Last edited:
Back