• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

First 5000+ black overclock reports

wow, those make it sound like they're 90nm F3s!

I'll wait for about twenty or thirty more reports though before I make that judgement...
 
The reason they started locking systems was because people were selling overclocked systems claiming to have cpus rated higher than what they had. If the chip already has a premium on it though then you cant very well buy it cheap and lie to sell it as a higher end model.
 
Hmmm...it seems I may have been a bit too hasty concerning this cpu. Keep those reviews coming because if this thing turns out to be a good performer at a good price I'll be eating crow and loving it! :D
 
Where you get this black edition and when does it come out?
I was just gonna buy a normal 5000 cpu today when im reading this. I was deciding the 5000 of just the BE-2350 and overclock it.
 
Wonder if canadacomputers and stores like that will get it. And its 20 dollers more then standered 5000.
 
I am well aware the TRUE and HR-01+ can compete with it at the high end (I own more then a few Tr HS's),my contention is his report of that oc being done on 'air'.It was not,it
used a TEC based cooler.

well that depends on your definition of "air cooling"
I would consider anything that is cooled by a fan and a heatsink rather then a RAD/Heater Core with flowing liquids to be air cooling. this could be considered an extreme air cooling solution, but its still air cooling IMO.
 
How much is this TEC cooler?
I don't know about the one used in this case, but some TEC coolers cost as much as complete water cooling kits, IOW several hundred dollars. However, these high-end TEC coolers literally freeze your CPU.
 
there basicly the same thing thats on a drinks cooler. you can make you own fairly cheaply, just do a ebay search for a peltier. there about £5 just make sure the cold side is faced down. just put it in between the cpu and your hsf, hook it up to your psu (make sure its powerful enough as pelts take up alot of wattage) and also make sure there is no way for condensation to form. ie the cold plate is not in direct contact with the air. any cold parts must be insulated to stop water forming inside the case. if that sounds like too much to think about just buy one ready done.
 
Peltiers have been around forever, and so has condensation. The Tuniq is a great cooler without the hassle.
 
Peltiers have been around forever, and so has condensation. The Tuniq is a great cooler without the hassle.

These TECs don't have to deal with condensation because they're switched on and off relative to the ambient temperature. That way they avoid condensation.


Either way, lets keep this about the results, and not about TECs. If you want more info on them, google it..
 
well that depends on your definition of "air cooling"
I would consider anything that is cooled by a fan and a heatsink rather then a RAD/Heater Core with flowing liquids to be air cooling. this could be considered an extreme air cooling solution, but its still air cooling IMO.

Ok, I am sorry.



X,I will agree to disagree on this :)

mpc,I am sorry,for derailing this thread further,I in all honesty think that oc is impressive all the same.Thanks for posting it all the same. :) It is near a full Ghz oc,on what can likely be attained with a much cheaper yet 'higher end' straight air cooler like my Ultima 90i (which is quite the specimen) or a TRUE/HR-01+.I'll shut up now :eek:
 
Ironicly instead of dishing out another $100 for cooling u could have just bought a processor twice as fast as the one your going to OC.

That wouldn't be very [H]ard....:rolleyes:
 
mpc,I am sorry,for derailing this thread further,I in all honesty think that oc is impressive all the same.Thanks for posting it all the same. :) It is near a full Ghz oc,on what can likely be attained with a much cheaper yet 'higher end' straight air cooler like my Ultima 90i (which is quite the specimen) or a TRUE/HR-01+.I'll shut up now :eek:
Isn't the TR Ultra 120 Extreme superior to these?

Edit: Just realized the acronym you used was referring to the Ultra Extreme. :D
 
X,I will agree to disagree on this :)

mpc,I am sorry,for derailing this thread further,I in all honesty think that oc is impressive all the same.Thanks for posting it all the same. :) It is near a full Ghz oc,on what can likely be attained with a much cheaper yet 'higher end' straight air cooler like my Ultima 90i (which is quite the specimen) or a TRUE/HR-01+.I'll shut up now :eek:
No - you are right.. I honestly was under the assumption that AMDZone was going to use normal air cooling.. I posted the link before I read the final review that they put up.. :rolleyes: :p
 
Someone buy one of these freakin things and put it on LN2 or dice or something.

Why cant I find one of these for sale?
 
These TECs don't have to deal with condensation because they're switched on and off relative to the ambient temperature. That way they avoid condensation.


Either way, lets keep this about the results, and not about TECs. If you want more info on them, google it..


Certainly TECs have come a long way. Although they mostly employ cheaper thermistors, which give a less accurate and far slower response time than thermocouples. Obviously TECs are handicapped to the point where they would cause condensation.

I was just reiterating the point about air outperforming TEC coolers. The Tuniq being cheaper, far more efficient, and easier to install with a greater heat transfer coefficient and greater safety factor. Especially a TEC failure means a poor ceramic conductor immediately acting as an insulator against an otherwise heat sensitive component.
 
Is it just me or is this cpu absolutly not worth it unless you overclock it to 3.5.
I mean te original 5000 goes for 130 CDN and theres reports of price drop next week. THe black box 5000 goes for 150 and doesnt even have a heatsink/fan so your adding min of 20 dollers. You can buy te 6000 for that price. So they are charging you to make you overclock it to at least 3.5 or its just not worth it. As a newb to overclocking I just dont like the risk I have to take. I personally rather buy the 6000 when prices drop.
 
[CaM]Spoon;1031490250 said:
Is it just me or is this cpu absolutly not worth it unless you overclock it to 3.5.
I mean te original 5000 goes for 130 CDN and theres reports of price drop next week. THe black box 5000 goes for 150 and doesnt even have a heatsink/fan so your adding min of 20 dollers. You can buy te 6000 for that price. So they are charging you to make you overclock it to at least 3.5 or its just not worth it. As a newb to overclocking I just like the risk I hae to take. I personally rather buy the 6000 when prices drop.
While some may feel as you do, this is an enthusiast forum and many here would jump at any opportunity to improve their OC results.
 
Back
Top