• Great friend of mine with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

firmware

Expo

n00b
Joined
Feb 12, 2009
Messages
24
i was just wondering why people update their firmwares? some people tell me it fixes problems some say it creates problems.

is it a good idea when i have a harddrive to not update the firmware in order to think that it won't brick right after i update it?

just a general question
 
What hard drive are you planning to upgrade firmware on?

It's best if you verse yourself as to why people would need to upgrade their firmwares, but the general rule is that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
 
problem in the case of seagate was it aint broke but you know it will be broke in a couple of days, months years, hence why Seagate release firmware for some of their drives to fix the issue.

I don't like the saying if it aint broke, don't fix it....that's just lazy. Some things need to be applied before to prevent it from "breaking", some situations you can follow the that saying.
 
yeah cause i'm hearing that seagate drives are failing left and right. although some are still up working. the SD15 series -_-. anyone got any opinion on those drives.

ex; ST31000340AS
 
As far as I know, hard drive firmware updates were very rare before this recent Seagate problem. I have one of the early 1.5TB 7200.11's that had SD15 firmware. I haven't had any trouble with it, but I updated it anyway. That was the first time I've updated firmware on a hard drive and I've been screwing with computers for almost 20 years.
 
Back
Top