Firing Squid Wastes their Ink

Cleeve said:
How can HardOCP claim to not be creating benchmarks?

Honestly guys. Do we really need head butting and chest thumping? This doesn't seem very professional to me.
On the contrary, this is the very evolution of the industry. This is where the competition has taken the online computer hardware journal. All print media are in competition. This type of issue is what makes professional journalism.

bingo13 said:
Then why does Kyle rant and rave that everyone is a liar or cronie if they have a different opinion or conclusion about the product? :D Really, if the product is not reviewed then why is your opinion any better than mine? :confused:

I keep seeing this over and over "Kyle called all other websites LIARS". That is not true, what he said was:

You will see a lot of gaming benchmarks today that just simply lie to you. That is right, you will see frames per second numbers that are at best total BS, and at their worst a terrible representation of what difference a new Intel Core 2 processor will make in your gaming experience.

If someone took a personal offense to that, I have no idea why.

We do not believe in canned benchmarks and we feel that they do NOT give you the whole story. You press a button, wait a bit and you have your results. We think giving you only frames per second numbers is total BS.

That is our opinion. We think that gaming benchmarks and all out 800x600 FPS runs LIE TO YOU. At 800x600, you are lead to believe "X" brand processor is the greatest when the truth is, when run in real world settings, neither showed an advantage over the other. Again...that is our opinion. We do things different. Not everyone likes it but apparently a ton of people DO or we wouldn't be here, would we?

Somehow that got twisted into "KYLE SAYS EVERY WEBSITE IS LIARS!" Nobody said that and to be totally honest, it literally freaks me out that someone would even think that somehow anything we said would apply to them / their website personally.

If you like our evaluations, great...we love you too.
If you hate our evaluations, great...we love you too.
If you joined the forums in the last 24 hours to call us names, stay a while, there will be TONS of opportunities in the future to call us names again. :D (and we'll still love you too)

This is not addressed to any one specific poster in here.

I learned long ago that canned benchmarks are a great way of doing objective comparisons of processors. Processor A shows a 20% increase in raw FPU power over its predecessor, processor C, and 10% over its competitor, processor B. There's a time and a place for that information -- it's in the professional arena. Even so, the real-world benchmarks Anandtech does of server-class processors are incalculably valuable when I make real-world buying decisions for clients.

It's not all about Sandra 2006.

In my personal workspace if all I did was run canned benchmarks all day, or if I only used the narrow set of apps included in most commerical benchmarks then canned benchmark reviews would be perfect for me. On the other hand every day I use my PC for wide a variety of tasks. Since I am the one that needs to work and live with the product I purchase with my money, and because I make a living in the real world and can't continually upgrade whenever the latest greatest comes out from Intel and AMD, real-world reviews are more meaningful to me when decision time comes regarding my personal choices.

Speaking of personal, it's not like HardOCP's reviews don't fully disclose their rationale and their methodology. If you don't trust Kyle and company, that's fine, get your information somewhere else, but if you're going to read through the review anyways and dismiss their findings based on your personal feelings, don't try to back it up with "facts" you're pulling out of your rear end. That's disingenious at best, and at worst it's transparently petty. Be up-front and admit you don't like these people, don't trust them, whatever your personal reason may be, that you do not like their review for that reason, and in the future if you want to avoid getting pissed off, stay away.

Your mileage may vary, my comment is no more worthy than any other in here, but to me in the end arguing the merits of either method over the other is shortsighted, because both techniques have their places in the repertoir of any tech-savant individual.

Dunno if this makes any sense or not. File appropriately. :)

Peace,

-Joe G.

P.S. Yah, the "squid" thing is a bit immature, but consider the market. Is it really that much of a shock? Nothing to see here folks, move along. :)

joegee said:
P.S. Yah, the "squid" thing is a bit immature,
I thought the same thing. Its one thing to have a joke around the forums or offices, but keep that kind of stuff off the front page, especially in the title of a professional article. Well, if you are trying to look professional that is.

Steve said:
HardOCP said:
You will see a lot of gaming benchmarks today that just simply lie to you. That is right, you will see frames per second numbers that are at best total BS, and at their worst a terrible representation of what difference a new Intel Core 2 processor will make in your gaming experience.

I find it pretty easy to see why other sites got offended by that. I can explain if you want.

Time Demos are somewhat limited, because I agree they may turn out to utilize certain resources that one card emphasizes over another... but so is using custom settings chosen by the reviewer. Personally, I hate [H]ard's video card style of reviews, because I want to see raw performance. Yes I realize that an X1900XTX getting 150fps in HL2 vs say a 7900GTX getting 130fps means nothing, but I still want to see how those raw numbers compare. Raw numbers let you decide how a card with the settings that you use will perform, on games you play and give you a better idea on how it will perform on future games. If we could have both, that would be ideal.

Except for the timedemos, FS's rant was spot on.

Kyle loves to create controversy... but well so do I. ;)

Don't ask me why Im posting I know I have typed it a hundred times now.

There is no difference in Kyles method and FiringSquad method other than Kyle deciding for you which is best. Look at the numbers both show the same information; that if you have a single GPU and an Athlon FX 62 your going to be GPU bound. This is NOT some new revolution in benchmarking. The problem is Hardocp's tone in their benchmark. They start off by calling Intel's benchmarks lies, and then call other review sites showing conroes larger performance also lies. Which is false and only half the story. Then they title the article "Conroe gaming performance" which is again misleading because it was the Nvidia cards gaming performance in that article and not relative to the performance of conroe except that it bottlenecks the GPU. I have heard the comment "AHA i knew intel lied" or "so conroe doesnt own like they said it did" or "i knew we couldnt trust intel" a hundred times by readers who dont full understand the Data missing or intentionally left out. FiringSquad like them or hate them Did a great job in their review by testing multiple resolution and settings using their own timedemos (which are not canned by the way)" in the sense they include all of the AI as actually playing the game. The potential upgraders who didnt understand the data might be pursuaded not to upgrade under the banter that conroe is not going to help your performance. Fact is if they have a High end video card and a mid range cpu say Athlon 3500 or maybe a P4 2.8 GH or something then a Conroe would Increase your performance by a large margin but we couldnt know that because no other CPU's were tested along with those 2.
But, if you look at the amount of difference between the AMD and Intel CPUs, you will see that it isn’t enough to amount to anything--Kyle Bennett
That comment from the article was missleading because we all know that the Conroe is faster sometimes by a large margin (*when it isnt bottlenecked*) but it is as if the intention is to downplay conroes performance as if there was something wrong with Intel actually having a high performance gaming chip.

Anyway that is my 2 cents on the matter.

FlyinBrian said:
There is no difference in Kyles method and FiringSquad method other than Kyle deciding for you which is best. Look at the numbers both show the same information;
Yes, this is discussed in more detail in my thread here (with pictures and data!). There was no difference between "real world" and "canned" testing in the case of the HOCP and FS articles.

"I keep seeing this over and over "Kyle called all other websites LIARS". That is not true, what he said was:"

On the contrary...he implied that sites that do this are thus lying to you (afterall benchmarks don't lie..people do).

He made this absolutely clear when he stated in the performance thread that he [Kyle]:

"still got the messae across that I was looking to get out. Conroe does not give you huge gaming benefits as has been hyped by Intel and their cronies for months..."

now we have the squid thread... if you can't see this for what it is..then there be no hope.

Had the review remained objective, there would be no trouble. Instead he tailor made and "evaluation" to bring out the result he wanted. Results applicable to a few percent of gamers...and perhaps 21% of gamers who use this site. Gamers, who obviously had already recently upgraded and would have no reason to do so again so soon.

Just a few wee changes were needed to make this a non-issue.

A well trained monkey can pull off that sort of “hardware journalism.”

I dig the way you pull no punches Kyle. I understand completely what real world benchmarking is and I think its accurate to an extent.

What good are synthetic benchmarks going to do me if the environment in which they are run and how they are run is no where near what I use at home? Why not attempt paint a more 'realistic' picture as to what the gaming experience will be like with what a bigger percentage of people who play these games have at their disposal?

Synthetic benchmarking is akin to a new powerful race car with all the tests done to it on a dyno machine showing off horsepower and testing on a 'closed course' with a professional driver. It shows potential, but probably nothing compared to if YOU were behind the wheel in a REAL race.

Real World benchmarking isn't a perfect science yet, but its a step in the right direction.

FlyinBrian said:
but it is as if the intention is to downplay conroes performance as if there was something wrong with Intel actually having a high performance gaming chip.

Anyway that is my 2 cents on the matter.
Exactly. ;) Undoubtedly in some of the forthcoming cards/games or someone using Crossfire/SLI will take advantage of Conroe's performance advantage. Let's not forget the pick me up you also get in everything else, not to mention it's ability to clock higher. Good reviews don't involve telling people what they should do... but then all of them do that. You get "five stars!" or "Editor's Choice!" on just about every review out there. Review something that sucks!

I just don't understand all of the animosity. If Firingsquad wants to do their benchmarks that way, let them.

Just because [H] does the reviews differently doesn't mean they are 100% correct and everyone else should follow suit.

I mean I usually just shoot right to the conclusion page anyway. :p

Explain how someone can be offended by a generalized statement.
If "they " are that sensitive, maybe they are in the wrong business. Suck it up. :eek:

joegee said:
This is not addressed to any one specific poster in here.

I learned long ago that canned benchmarks are a great way of doing objective comparisons of processors. Processor A shows a 20% increase in raw FPU power over its predecessor, processor C, and 10% over its competitor, processor B. There's a time and a place for that information -- it's in the professional arena. Even so, the real-world benchmarks Anandtech does of server-class processors are incalculably valuable when I make real-world buying decisions for clients.

It's not all about Sandra 2006.

In my personal workspace if all I did was run canned benchmarks all day, or if I only used the narrow set of apps included in most commerical benchmarks then canned benchmark reviews would be perfect for me. On the other hand every day I use my PC for wide a variety of tasks. Since I am the one that needs to work and live with the product I purchase with my money, and because I make a living in the real world and can't continually upgrade whenever the latest greatest comes out from Intel and AMD, real-world reviews are more meaningful to me when decision time comes regarding my personal choices.

Speaking of personal, it's not like HardOCP's reviews don't fully disclose their rationale and their methodology. If you don't trust Kyle and company, that's fine, get your information somewhere else, but if you're going to read through the review anyways and dismiss their findings based on your personal feelings, don't try to back it up with "facts" you're pulling out of your rear end. That's disingenious at best, and at worst it's transparently petty. Be up-front and admit you don't like these people, don't trust them, whatever your personal reason may be, that you do not like their review for that reason, and in the future if you want to avoid getting pissed off, stay away.

Your mileage may vary, my comment is no more worthy than any other in here, but to me in the end arguing the merits of either method over the other is shortsighted, because both techniques have their places in the repertoir of any tech-savant individual.

Dunno if this makes any sense or not. File appropriately. :)

Peace,

-Joe G.

P.S. Yah, the "squid" thing is a bit immature, but consider the market. Is it really that much of a shock? Nothing to see here folks, move along. :)

I like it, its well written...........you should do an edditorial colume for the [H] on a regular basis. I hope Kyle feels the same way and contacts you.

I mean that sincerely
:cool:

magoo said:
Explain how someone can be offended by a generalized statement.
If "they " are that sensitive, maybe they are in the wrong business. Suck it up. :eek:
I think they are offended because it brings into question thier credibility as to theirs and HardOCP's demographic. So which is the more credible evaluation?

The guilty always take offense to generalized comments and bring attention to themselves. :p Despite all the hoopla folks there's a very simple point here. Did [H] fabricate any of their tests? No. Were there amazing differences between AMD and Intel in their testing? No. End of story, thats the point of the review. All comments in that review pertain to that review. Keep it focused. Its simply idealism vs. realism. I'll pay for the realism thank you very much. Idealism does me no good because I may never tap that idealistic extra speed product X supposedly has in Y scenario. Windows 64-bit anyone?

Wow, just wow. I made it through the first 10 pages and then skipped to the end. I’m sure this opinion has been expressed, but I feel like chiming in.

I have been reading hardware reviews for years, and the longer it progresses, the more I’ve seen a great divergence from synthetic to applied benchmarking in the systems I build for myself and others. Though not my primary occupation, I make a few dollars on the side providing people what they can’t buy in the store. I rely on reviews to help me make informed decisions on the hardware appropriate for the applications my customers are going to use. Nine times out of ten, I am the only one who notices that the system I purchased is not really delivering the performance expected given the “review”. I’ve actually adopted the methodology my father explained to me when dealing with tech savvy people. If he gets a date on when some hardware or software implementation is going to take place, he multiplies that date (lets say 2 weeks), by a factor of 2.7 (less than 5.5 weeks), and he’s right most of the time, though sometimes it takes longer. Even though there should be less intangibles in a piece of hardware, a similar understanding that something produced and tested this week may not test the same the following week is or should be an expected phenomenon. In other words, take every review with a grain of salt, or a shaker for that matter. That is not to say the testing should not take place, but that it can only act as a guide.

When it comes to the methodology of testing, diversity is ideal. Like most of the posters comments that I have read I see the benefits of both styles, but I have only recently had the pleasure to enjoy a “real-world” methodology. I praise the innovation. Do I want every site to adopt this strategy? Hell no. I want my cake and I want to eat it too. An argument as to which is better is seems (and from what I’ve read in this thread) foolish. Without the two, the ability of the reader to draw conclusions is limited to the reviewer only. With both, I can get a better sense of scale. Also, I want more sources than a single site because different samples can yield different results. When hardware sites get the latest and greatest hardware, they’re usually getting the best sample the manufacture can deliver, because they want the best review, by seeing a range of both actual hardware and methodology, the image of what you will get at the retail level becomes more clear.

As Kyle and Steve have said, the means by which we compare hardware today is an extensive process, and now that we have chipset-dependent video cards it can only increase in complexity. Finding the sweet spot in paring the right motherboard/cpu, video card, etc. for the price is where I get my kicks. I imagine the kind of guys who take the trouble to keep up on hardware news and reviews agree. [H]ardOCP has always been one of my favorite sites to read. Many an F5 key has been worn out via its page. For those who say that their ([H]’s) stance on changing -their- methodology was a slap in the face of other reviewers, I believe you are wrong. I believe that they just kept seeing the same material packaged slightly differently on every other site. They wanted to try a new path, and I for one enjoy the new perspective. What I believe the ranting and raving is about is the denouncement of either form as invalid. This is like difference between truth and honesty. I can tell you the truth and be dishonest, as anyone who took statistics could explain.

For me, seeing a high benchmark score on a machine I build today and comparing it to a similarly priced system 6 months ago is a fun and easy way to see a performance/price scale. To my customers it’s the playable settings and frame rate of a new game compared to their last machine or heaven forbid console. It is the ability for my business customers to open every program they have installed and see no lag. No review can truly capture that effect, but I’m glad to see that [H] is trying.

In the end, I’ll just keep quoting the sig. of a user from another forum (I’m sure it’s a famous quote, but I don’t from whom). “In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, in practice, there is.”

BarneyGumble said:
This type of issue is what makes professional journalism.

You're giving it too much credit methinks. This isn't even an issue as far as I can see. An issue would be finding out a site has been getting paid by a reviewee.

This is more like holier-than-thou sour grapes. I don't see any good having come out of this at all.

What did you learn from this 'professional journalism'? Are we more enlightened yet?

[H]

I like you’re style and I support you’re testing methods.

That said, I think that on a professional level you should leave out name calling.

I am usually humored by you're attitude (I perceive most articles at [H] have some sort of attitude [good, bad or neutral]). But I think you can leave out attacking your hardware reviewing brethren.

I think that it would be better to have links to their canned stuff and them have links to you’re real world stuff rather than attack each other.

*Edited for spelling* :eek:

JOESKURTU said:
[H]
No I did not read all 13 pages before I posted.

I like youre style and I support youre testing methods.

That said, I think that on a professional level you should leave out name calling.

I am usually humored by you're attitude (I percieve most articles at [H] have some sort of attitude [good, bad or neutral]). But I think you can leave out attacking your hardware reviewing brethren.

I think that it would be better to have links to their canned stuff and them have links to youre real world stuff rather than attack eachother.

What a trip!

you see Kyle's plan worked. He said to himself, I'd like to see more people join the forums and viola....noobie's galore :D

Steve said:
I keep seeing this over and over "Kyle called all other websites LIARS". That is not true, what he said was:

We do not believe in canned benchmarks and we feel that they do NOT give you the whole story. You press a button, wait a bit and you have your results. We think giving you only frames per second numbers is total BS.

That is our opinion. We think that gaming benchmarks and all out 800x600 FPS runs LIE TO YOU. At 800x600, you are lead to believe "X" brand processor is the greatest when the truth is, when run in real world settings, neither showed an advantage over the other. Again...that is our opinion. We do things different. Not everyone likes it but apparently a ton of people DO or we wouldn't be here, would we?

Somehow that got twisted into "KYLE SAYS EVERY WEBSITE IS LIARS!" Nobody said that and to be totally honest, it literally freaks me out that someone would even think that somehow anything we said would apply to them / their website personally.

If you like our evaluations, great...we love you too.
If you hate our evaluations, great...we love you too.
If you joined the forums in the last 24 hours to call us names, stay a while, there will be TONS of opportunities in the future to call us names again. :D (and we'll still love you too)

Steve, I generally like and agree to the things you say (and I love your headlines too), but I have to admit that the wording could have been better for this "Don't let a bunch of canned benchmarks lie to you about gaming performance, real gameplay experience tells a different story. Unless of course you game at 800x600." I'm not sure if you guys would agree to that, though. I feel, sometimes, that the "real-world" benchmarking is being forcefully pushed at us from the editors/writers, almost like a Crusade to convert us whether we want to convert or not.

Now, the one thing I do absolutely love about your "real-world" benchmarks is that you find when unauthorized "optimizations" occur like you guys did before. Synthetic benchmarks would have probably never found that. So, keep up the good work with that. What I don't like, and it's merely my opinion vs yours, is that all your benchmarks are always something greater than 1024 x 768 which is what I have played all my games at for just about 4 years now. That resolution probably wouldn't change until these developers force me into something higher (which would make me buy a new moniter). Your performance benchmarks are out of my league and I usually just skip over them. I mean what's the point of playing games at < 60 fps anyways. To others, I'm not going to the whole "eye" thing and fps. I like my games running as smooth as possible even if I have to sacrifice a few settings, which I knowingly chose.

Anyways, I believe there is a place for synthetic benchmarks. I'm always interested in seeing "how" the processors or video cards are achieving their results. Is the extra memory bandwidth helping? How much slower are the longer pipelines making the the chip run? It's just interesting to see. I do hope that you guys would stop bashing synthetic benchmarks. It just irks me when you do something like that, just like when people type M$, Linsux, etc. What's the point in calling names?

I guess I'm not your average "enthusiast", better yet, I'm not an "enthusiast". I'm not enthusiastic about HDR or bloom and many other things. Used correctly, it's fine, but every last damn developer likes to overuse these things which makes everything looks washed out or was smeared by vasaline. Basically, I throw out a large portion of your "real-world" tests also, because they don't apply to me. Though, what I do keep, I congratulate you guys on a job well done.

No tests are perfect, but the more different tests their are, the better, and we need more different tests. I never thought synethetic benchmarks are the be-all end-all benchmarks, but this goes for your benchmarks also.

I think the main problem I have with "real-world benchmarks" vs "canned benchmarks" is that real-world benchmarks are completely useless once newer video cards are out. It's great to know that an FX-62 and a X6800 performs about the same using bottlenecked video card but what happens when NVIDIA or ATI releases a new video card? Do we automatically assume that the FX-62 performs the same as C2D with future video cards?

I think it is important to show both low res and high res gaming benchmarks to get the entire picture. Low res is useful to know how CPU will scale with future video cards and high res is used to see what performance will be like playing games currently.

GoldenTiger said:
What a trip!

Well, this whole internet thing seems to be getting more and more hostile. :mad:

Before people mouth off that web sites are actively trying to decieve their readers, they should think about their Lawyer's kids.
Some people put their Lawayer's kids through college because they are not considerate of others. Who wants to hear this stuff? I come here to find out about next gen hardware, not that someone doesn't like the way they are telling me about it.

Some things need to be said, yes, however, there comes a point where it all just turns hostile and you want to take a vacation from the internet.

As someone who does system design and is very familiar with the problems in balancing overall performance, I found the "Real World Gaming" testing for the Core Duo to be useless as a comparison between Intel and AMD.

Why? Because the Real World performance was not limited by the CPU. They were mostly video card limited, and since the video cards were the same, the overall gaming performance was the same.

Now, if the Gaming Tests had found some game that was significantly affected by the CPU, that would be good info.

In the tests where the CPU's were the bottleneck, the Core Duo vs AMD stuff was great. Good information to help make a purchase based on the type of work you are interested in.

My takeaway is a more, top level result. Specifically

The CPU is not a bottleneck with todays high end GPU's and games

However, that does NOT mean that the Core Duo and AMD are the same when it comes to gaming. If a new video card shows up in a few months that really screams, then you may find that the Core Duo does outperform the AMD in the Real World Gaming tests.

JOESKURTU said:
Well, this whole internet thing seems to be getting more and more hostile. :mad:

Before people mouth off that web sites are actively trying to decieve their readers, they should think about their Lawyer's kids.
Some people put their Lawayer's kids through college because they are not considerate of others. Who wants to hear this stuff? I come here to find out about next gen hardware, not that someone doesn't like the way they are telling me about it.

Some things need to be said, yes, however, there comes a point where it all just turns hostile and you want to take a vacation from the internet.

I was saying you were a trip because your post made no sense whatsoever with all the errors in grammar/spelling, so much so that I could not decipher any meaning from it. I don't understand what you mean in your second paragraph of this post, either. I don't know why anyone would take arguments over testing methodologies as a personal attack, though, like you are.

p4l1ndr0m3 said:
You people don't get it. DRAW THE CONCLUSION FOR YOURSELF! Its not like firingsquad is padding the numbers or trying to mislead you. You can draw the same conclusion that a Hardforum reviewer got from the info from firingsquad. Trust me, I've seen it MANY times. Obviously if firingsquad does a CPU review at 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1600x1200, and beyond, you are going to see the difference in the numbers in the first two, MAYBE three resolutions based on the CPU's power. This is SHOWING you that there is BOTTLENECK. Instead of trying to make yourselves sound high and mighty like Toyota Prius owners using terms like "real-world", use some damn sense! Think of it this way, how much good would a toolbox be if it only had one tool?

depends on the shape and size of the tool :D

"Firing Squid Wastes their Ink"?!?! Nice. What's next, "yo mama" jokes? I'm a long time reader of [H] and have faithfully visited the site every day for years now, but this is just a bit childish, don't you think?

I'm glad that [H] provides a different perspective. It helps round out the big picture. But [H]'s methodology in no way invalidates standard benchmarking procedure where reviewers do everything they can to eliminate bottlenecks in the system. [H]'s gaming "evaluation" is great for the here and now, but what about a year from now when there are video cards twice as powerful as the 7900GTX for half the price? If at that point I'm in the market for a new system, [H]'s benchmarks are no longer relevant to me. "Just do a new evaluation," you say? Ok, good way to keep people coming back to the site, but not exactly efficient.

No, when new hardware comes out I want to know how much faster a Conroe is compared to an AM2 and by how much. For that matter, I want to know how EACH component compares to others in the same category, be it processor, video card, physics card, or whatever. The only way to do that is with a system that taxes to the limit the component being tested, and that cannot be achieved when a different component is bottlenecking the entire system like in the Conroe gaming evaluation. Since [H]'s review doesn't deliver this, I'm forced to go to other sites to get the whole story. You lose, [H]. This is clearly a situation where standard benchmarks are useful. Are we so proud of our "real-world" method here at [H] that we refuse to see this? It's disappointing that it seems that way.

[H] reviewed with a GPU-limited system. Fine. That's their choice, and there's nothing wrong with that per se, although it's not perfect either. But to say that this is the be-all end-all of hardware reviews is very short-sighted and narrow-minded. There's a time and place for both types of reviews, and if a site were to combine both methods effectively we would have the ultimate review. Too bad [H] and FS are too busy slinging mud at each other to realize that.

pbj75 said:
Why? Because the Real World performance was not limited by the CPU. They were mostly video card limited, and since the video cards were the same, the overall gaming performance was the same.
That last line is probably the best one line summary of the review's flaw I have read yet.

Everybody assumed [H] were reviewing Conroe but they weren.t, and suddenly it all turned into an Oprah show. Not necessarily a bad thing :)

What I do not understand is the rush of getting the "real-world" non-CPU review out in the first place after the NDA was lifted. After all, no other sites did it this way - they all published canned benchmarks those fucking liars - so there was no competition for [H] really. They could have used a few more days and maybe merged the 4 conroe articles into one, who knows, maybe it would have been better received if there had been one (and only one) conclusion taking both "real-world gaming" and "real-world applications" performance into consideration.

And then the [H] mobo review with timedemo gaming benchmarks came a few days after... I don.t get it, why so inconsistent?

jon67 said:
Everybody assumed [H] were reviewing Conroe but they weren.t, and suddenly it all turned into an Oprah show. Not necessarily a bad thing :)

What I do not understand is the rush of getting the "real-world" non-CPU review out in the first place after the NDA was lifted. After all, no other sites did it this way - they all published canned benchmarks those fucking liars - so there was no competition for [H] really. They could have used a few more days and maybe merged the 4 conroe articles into one, who knows, maybe it would have been better received if there had been one (and only one) conclusion taking both "real-world gaming" and "real-world applications" performance into consideration.

And then the [H] mobo review with timedemo gaming benchmarks came a few days after... I don.t get it, why so inconsistent?

L... O L?? I can only assume with things like saying it wasn't supposed to be a Conroe review when it's named Conroe Gaming, and that other sites are "fucking liars" for publishing normal, scientifically valid benchmarks, not to mention the gratuitous sucking-up. It's OK to like a site (I like this one too, but I prefer others), however kissing the feet of one is just ridiculous.

jon67 said:
But, if you look at the amount of difference between the AMD and Intel CPUs, you will see that it isn’t enough to amount to anything--Kyle Bennett

If it wasnt a Conroe review It sure sounded like one to me.

It's a shame that in Kyle is only helping more people find out who they even are. I haven't been to the squads page in months, maybe even a year or two. But as soon as this began I went right over there to see what they were crying about. That = me going to their site once more.

jon67 said:
they all published canned benchmarks those fucking liars - so there was no competition for [H] really.
This made my day. Thanks.

and there's a good point hidden in there too.

Wow... I have to agree with Firing Squad here. Too many flaws to call [Hard]OCPs review a real CPU benchmark. And since it wasn't a CPU benchmark, as I have been told multiple times while debating with people in the thread that the review was posted in, I found it hard to believe when it sat in the Intel forum, Intel being the largest microprocessing manufacturer in the world..... If this wasn't a CPU benchmark, stick it in the video card section, to show that yea, CPU's don't matter as much in gaming right now with single graphic cards, and label it, SINGLE GRAPHIC CARD GAMING WITH UPCOMING FLAGSHIP CPU BENCHMARKS . Firing Squad raises many valid points, and [H]ardOCPs review openly insulted other review sites for being inaccurate and not providing real world benches, when in reality, they provided more of a gamers perspective, and future-proofability of the processor, along with a more indepth view of the processor in every way. I know Toms Hardware made a thorough review and examination of the processor and Anandtech also did an excellent job modeling gaming performance at high resolutions and graphical settings. There's not much to talk about this, other than that Firing Squad was right, and I'm sure many of you agree.

gigantorebirdie said:
It's a shame that in Kyle is only helping more people find out who they even are. I haven't been to the squads page in months, maybe even a year or two. But as soon as this began I went right over there to see what they were crying about. That = me going to their site once more.
your thinking is backwards, i think. The more sites you visit and more tests you see on any given product, the more informed decision you can and will make.

This is good for 2 reasons.

1. You personally benefit by getting a better chip/card whatever.
2. The more educated people are, the more A64's will sell instead of P4's (for example). This means more competition, lower prices, and the inevatible better chip (Conroe) instead of a 4GHz P4 being released this month.

but maybe from kyles standpoint, you are right...dont turn away customers...i dont know

GoldenTiger said:
I was saying you were a trip because your post made no sense whatsoever with all the errors in grammar/spelling, so much so that I could not decipher any meaning from it. I don't understand what you mean in your second paragraph of this post, either. I don't know why anyone would take arguments over testing methodologies as a personal attack, though, like you are.

If you didn't understand it then why are you responding to it? I could have come up with something better than "What a trip". Are you referring to you’re mental state?

I never said it was a personal attack. I said "unprofessional". I did say basically that instead of attacking each other’s websites they should link to eachother. FS's article gives some positive outlook about [H] real world review methodology. The [H] article doesn't really give the overtone that returns the favor.

They (FS) also make some good points about having become GPU limited, which forced them to use low resolution to test the CPU prowess.

GoldenTiger said:
L... O L?? I can only assume with things like saying it wasn't supposed to be a Conroe review when it's named Conroe Gaming, and that other sites are "fucking liars" for publishing normal, scientifically valid benchmarks, not to mention the gratuitous sucking-up. It's OK to like a site (I like this one too, but I prefer others), however kissing the feet of one is just ridiculous.

The other sites are lying to you you know, just as they lied in the past when they claimed that A64 was better than P4 for gaming when in fact people were held back by their 9800Pro.s and GeForce FX crap. At that time, [H] were liars too. They shouldn.t be let off easily just because they recently realized what everybody with more than basic comp knowledge already knew.

jon67 said:
The other sites are lying to you you know, just as they lied in the past when they claimed that A64 was better than P4 for gaming when in fact people were held back by their 9800Pro.s and GeForce FX crap. At that time, [H] were liars too. They shouldn.t be let off easily just because they recently realized what everybody with more than basic comp knowledge already knew.

OK, I see your point now ;).

Back