FireFox Really Slow

Discussion in 'General Software' started by NoNRG, Jun 17, 2017.

1. NoNRG

NoNRG 2[H]4U

Recently has anyone been experiencing extreme slowness when using Firefox? It's been so bad and, with the number of tabs I keep open (20-30), it's been consuming ~3GB of memory regularly. I keep FireFox on auto-update, so assume this is with the latest versions over the last couple months.

I finally made the transition to Opera on all of my computers and it's been much better.

Not sure if this is the right sub-section for this.

2. Sp33dFr33k

Sp33dFr33k 2[H]4U

It's been bad since v53, I've had a ton of issues after having zero issues for years. Don't want to switch to Chrome and won't use IE so I'm just stuck with it for now.

3. NoNRG

NoNRG 2[H]4U

Thanks. Good to know others are experiencing the same thing. I'd definitely prefer to stay with Firefox, but it's been affecting my productivity.

Opera is a branch of Chrome right?

4. fightingfi

fightingfi [H]ard|Gawd

used FF since version 3 never an issue i can think of for much if anything beside the bug here and there that wasnt fixed in the later versions new version seems faster and better to me that just came out :)

5. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News Staff Member

NoNRG likes this.
  6. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw [H]ardForum Junkie

7. Nebulous

Nebulous Gawd

I stopped using FF after the latest forced update rendered it useless. I would uninstall it, reinstall it and I would get no screen. Uninstall it, reinstall the older version and viola, works. Then it does it's forced update and again blackness. I got fedup and just removed it. Using chrome without any issues.

8. Tiberian

Tiberian Finger Me

No issues here with Firefox ESR 52.2.0 portable + 27 addons/extensions + user scripts all used with alarming regularity, haven't noticed anything weird or strange, still loads up in a few seconds but really I never close the damned browser to be honest. My laptop now has 114 days and 21 hours uptime, go figure, and it never goes into standby nor do I use hibernate either so that means it's been on for 114 days 21 hours and some odd minutes, Firefox ESR is showing 1.6GB of RAM usage which is meaningless overall considering.

9. redmasc

redmasc Gawd

God damn...20-30 tabs? I can't remember what I have opened after 10 tabs. I'm still on FF and they just released a less memory hog version a few days ago. I manually updated it to v.54 (64-bit) and it seems good so far.

10. NoNRG

NoNRG 2[H]4U

I thought I'd be at the low end of total tabs open compared to everyone here, lol.

11. DrLobotomy

DrLobotomy [H]ardness Supreme

FF Portable here updated for like 6 to 8 years to 54.0 at the moment with 7 or 8 add-ons or extensions or whatever they want to call them at the moment.

Never really had an issue with Firefox. I am going to assume all the problems I hear from people is actually from their host OS and not Firefox.

I have it installed on my quad boot rig that consists of Win 7, Win 8.1, Win 10 and CentOS( this version isn't the portable one) and I have it installed on my 2008 WinServer also.

No issues for years and years and I keep them patched. I admit a few add-ons have gimped out, but they usually get updated in a few hours and return to normal.

Time to hit up that event viewer and discover your real issues.

12. NoNRG

NoNRG 2[H]4U

Thanks for the additional comments everyone.

Yeah, that may help. This slowness has shown up across two desktops running Windows 10 and one laptop running Windows 7. It's not a single computer that I'm experiencing this problem with.

I use Lastpass, uBlock Origin, and HTTPS Everywhere as addons on all of the setups. Maybe Lastpass has gone to shit since they got bought and it's causing my issues.

13. DrLobotomy

DrLobotomy [H]ardness Supreme

That is not many at all....I use Https Everywhere also but I use Block Site and Ghostery and Decentraleyes and FoxyProxy.

Also note that SOME websites will stall you out on the page load if your browser doesn't respond to the ad servers first. I know Windows 10 has automagical shit going on in the background that watches this shit so there is probably some weirdness going on there too.

14. XEL

XEL n00bie

Hello,

Windows 7 user here, on a gamer rig. Firefox hangs on and crashes every time my mate is browsing tumblr for an extended period of time. About:Healthreport shows nothing wrong and no crashes whatsoever, which is a blatant lie.

I run a shitload of add-ons, disabled them all and re-enabled them one by one, stretching the test period on over a week : extensions are definitely not the problem. I usually keep a shitload of tabs open (20-70) on two or three different windows. I made my best to change my habits and to keep not more than 10/15 tabs open in a single window for a while, it did not change a thing.

I installed Comodo Dragon' security orientated browser for my mate (based on Chrome minus Google's crap), I kept my extensions and my bad habits... Firefox is still slow but doesn't hang on or crashes any longer and my mate is in Tumblr's heaven : never ending pages are loading faster than ever with modified Chrome and it did not crash once.

Well, it works and everyone is feeling good, but I miss the good old time when Firefox was the best and forced updates did not exist.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    NoNRG likes this.
  15. Tiberian

Tiberian Finger Me

So, hit the Start button and type the word reliability and then when it appears on the list select it and look at the Windows 7 Reliability history and find out what's going on with that system.

I hear people talk about Firefox "crashing all the time" and yet when I ask most folks to look at their reliability history nothing shows up which of course means Firefox isn't actually crashing but there's something else going on. Been using this browser since before day one and on hundreds if not thousands of different machines with crazy hardware configs of all kinds, different OSes (Windows, OSX/macOS, and dozens upon dozens of different Linux distros) and I swear I don't have those issues.

In fact my current Firefox portable install has been in the same folder for 7 years now and just updated with newer versions as required when they come out up till Firefox 38 came out and that's when I switched to using the ESR branch which is released every 7 major versions of the regular Firefox. I cannot ever recall a time where Firefox as I've been using it has the much maligned memory leaks (I run mine from a RAMdisk so I'd notice it if that happened), excessive RAM usage (that depends on the end user most of the time and of course badly coded addons/extensions as well as shitty website coding too but it's not directly the fault of the browser itself), slow performance (it works fine for me, I don't care about 50ms here and there and it's proven itself to be almost as fast or even faster than Chrome in Sunspider and some other Javascript benchmarks), and so on.

I guess some folks just have no luck whatsoever with some programs, I honestly don't know. :D

And what is this crap with 'forced updates' supposed to mean, never heard of such a thing myself but then again since I'm using the ESR branch that's a no-no anyway. If people mean how newer versions change so much in terms of the UI well, that's a given, they're always going to change shit in that respect and will keep going till it literally is ChromeFox or something you can't literally tell apart from Chrome I guess.

Baffling stuff to me. :)

16. Ultima99

Ultima99 [H]ardness Supreme

No issues with FF here. Not sure why some of you guys need so many tabs open. Either you never use them or checking them must take all day!

17. bigdogchris

bigdogchris Wii was a Novelty

I only run a few tabs at once and noticed no difference, better or worse, going from 53 to 54.

One way to really turbo charge FF is to run that CPU tool in the OS forum. It makes the Firefox UI much faster.

18. Flogger23m

Flogger23m [H]ardness Supreme

Don't recall which version I am running on, but it certainly has been very slow as of late. Chrome loads certain sites a lot quicker. And is just snappier in general. Last time I checked there were no updated for FF... I really prefer the GUI and look, and the plugins I've been using for a while (only a few) but it has been getting to the point I may switch to Chrome even if temporarily for day to day use.

NoNRG likes this.
  19. hedron

hedron Limp Gawd

Yea, I wind up with score of tabs and a bloated memory footprint, but then I just close it and open it up again.

You guys might try Pale Moon or Waterfox, I think they are better with memory than plain FF.

Maxthon is the only chrome clone I like, but they sell your data, so I don't use it.

20. XEL

XEL n00bie

It's actually much easier when there are more then 10 open tabs at once, when the row gets filled and stretches as far as the down arrow on the far right side is made available for you to take a quick glance at all your open tabs, so you don't have to remember anything and you can simply navigate back and forth on all open pages at ease.

I can hardly speak for other tab-maniacs but for me to keep a few dozens open tabs at once is just a more convenient way than the history panel to retrieve the information I once had at my fingertips but would have most certainly lost after I closed that particular tab with a useful piece of information.

Let's say I want to buy some new hardware, I'll start my researches with Google and DuckDuckGo for specs, benchmarking, reviews and pictures. I will keep the most relevant results open in new tabs to be able to check back on them later on for deeper analysis. Once ready to buy I will check for prices on several major online shops and will narrow down my search to the best offers, which will include my favorite non-mainstream shops, often very far out of the beaten path. And here I am with 20/40 tabs open in several windows, with a quite comprehensive mass of information at immediate reach. If not ready yet for my purchase I can save my open tabs with SessionManager and make up my mind on some other day.

When browsing start to be hectic I just do as Hedron : I save my session and restart Firefox. SessionManager gives me the chance to hand pick the tabs I don't need to check back and to get a rid of them. None of the tabs will load until I visit them so I can start fresh with a hundred tabs open at once if I wish, no slow down whatsoever.