Firefox Quantum Gets Updates with FF58

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
We talked a bit about Firefox Quantum a couple months ago, and quite frankly the Quantum browsing experience was surely faster if nothing else. Yesterday, Firefox start pushing out release 58.0, and it has a quite a few updates listed. Mozilla claims even better page loading times due to Off-Main-Thread Painting (OMTP), and how Firefox handles Javascript. And if you are wondering about security, there is an extremely long page with those specifics. Outside of speed, Opt-In Tracking Protection will probably be of interest.

Check out the video.

With Opt-In Tracking Protection, Firefox users protect their privacy and get a better, faster experience when their web pages load without trackers.

I just tried it out. It really is nice and fast. I like it. I'll try it out of the next couple days, and it might make me change from Chrome.

Something far more important that chrome could learn from FF.... disable autoscrool feature.

I could be interested if they got rid of pocket and data collection....

I wonder if Waterfox has caught up with the Quantum release yet..

Click middle mouse button and move your mouse

That literally does nothing on mine, but maybe that's because of how I am currently running it.

I'm currently using Chrome running on a Lubuntu 16.04 install inside a Virtualbox VM on a Windows 7 desktop.

Quantum is super friggin fast but there is basically no extension support anymore, I might as well use Edge. Every single one of my favorite extensions other than adblock is not updated for the new firefox with most authors saying they full refuse to support new Firefox. Pretty sad :(

That literally does nothing on mine, but maybe that's because of how I am currently running it.

I'm currently using Chrome running on a Lubuntu 16.04 install inside a Virtualbox VM on a Windows 7 desktop.
If you ever figure out what the reason is for this let me know :)
normally it gives you a feature where it will scroll the page according to your mouse movement. but it conflicts with that you also use middle mouse to open link in a new pane. so if you just barely accidental move your mouse while middle-clicking a link you scroll away from the link...
It can be disabled on both IE and FF but not Chrome

Quantum is super friggin fast but there is basically no extension support anymore, I might as well use Edge. Every single one of my favorite extensions other than adblock is not updated for the new firefox with most authors saying they full refuse to support new Firefox. Pretty sad :(

It was the right thing to do though, from a security perspective.

Sure, it limits the ability of plugin creators to control certain things, but that's kind of the point, because controlling those things can result in real security problems.

That's one of the ways the Flash plugin kept pwning otherwise secure systems.

normally it gives you a feature where it will scroll the page according to your mouse movement. but it conflicts with that you also use middle mouse to open link in a new pane. so if you just barely accidental move your mouse while middle-clicking a link you scroll away from the link...

hehe, I've been using Chrome daily for almost as long as it has existed, and I never realized the middle button opened things in new tabs.

I generally find the middle click uncomfortable, so I usually just avoid using it. I'd rather right click, open in new tab.

Crazy how fast FF quantum is compared to any other browser.
Most of my extensions works with no problems, so can't complain at all.

crazy fast but can't add more than 2 rows to the "top sites" :( I'll stick to Vivaldi for now.

Screw that.. I updated to the new build and my browsing screeched to a freaking halt... not an exageration. Something that normally took 1/2 a second to load took 2 minutes, IF it loaded at all, and th more you did the longer things took. Re-installed the previous version and 'oh goodness gracious... everything is back to normal!'... yeah.. no

Screw that.. I updated to the new build and my browsing screeched to a freaking halt... not an exageration. Something that normally took 1/2 a second to load took 2 minutes, IF it loaded at all, and th more you did the longer things took. Re-installed the previous version and 'oh goodness gracious... everything is back to normal!'... yeah.. no

I didn't experience any of this its lighting fast for me.

hehe, I've been using Chrome daily for almost as long as it has existed, and I never realized the middle button opened things in new tabs.

I generally find the middle click uncomfortable, so I usually just avoid using it. I'd rather right click, open in new tab.

Whaaaat that likes TWO entire clicks and at least 5 pixels mouse drags. That way too cumbersome :)
middle click is second nature to me. but i also did use the middle mouse button for jumping when I played Quake competitive.

left mouse - fire rocket lunches
middle mouse - jump
right mouse - fire highest tier non explosive weapons
space - fire greande luncher

YGHJ for movements (because its has 6 and 7 above it which is rocket launcher and the shaft
C for cycle weapons

I liked this hand position because it had way more available buttons than the typical WASD
like two easy keys for thumb (space and alt) on WASD its only space

But i dropped it as more modern games had way to many keys that I need to remap and it got annoying having to remap so many keys

Well I think I have derail the thread enough now so back on the new Fx
I am missing my old Fx plugin that made it easy to accept the current tabs 2nd level domains into the accept cookies list
anyway know if any newer simple/fast plugin exist for that ?

I haven't had any issues like this. I switch from Chrome to FF58 both at work and at home, and it has been SO much faster, to start up, to load pages, and going through pages. I've been massively impressed with it. Plus, my 2 favorite addons, Flash Block and Adblock Plus, work with it. The one down side is I had to install the Adobe flash player for the few Flash pages I use (VMWare web client and Sendio at work), but I use Flash Block to keep flash from running on other pages, so that's not a major concern.

They broke every extension I use. Every single one. The two biggest headaches are the addon that automatically loads torrents to the client on my file server and the one that lets me view user names and passwords. I have no reason to not use Chrome now. It makes no difference.

They broke every extension I use. Every single one. The two biggest headaches are the addon that automatically loads torrents to the client on my file server and the one that lets me view user names and passwords. I have no reason to not use Chrome now. It makes no difference.

yeah 57 version and alter does not support the old extension format. so we are in a bit of a transaction limbo. they will probably be updated. noscript finnaly gotupdated to the new version.

Also what is that torrenting extension i really would love for an automatic easy way to use me filserver for torrenting .

yeah 57 version and alter does not support the old extension format. so we are in a bit of a transaction limbo. they will probably be updated. noscript finnaly gotupdated to the new version.

Also what is that torrenting extension i really would love for an automatic easy way to use me filserver for torrenting .

It's called BitTorrent WebUI. It's a thing of beauty. You click on a torrent link and it automatically adds it to your BT client on a different machine.

I doubt many of the addons I use will get updated. I know the theme I use won't as the developer has stated as much. The real killer is that many of them simply recreate functionality that FF removed in years past. WTF is wrong with people? If it aint broke don't fix it! Change for change's sake? Jesus. Change happens of its own accord. Nothing we need to to to facilitate the process. High technology is rampant with this shit.

"Let's make a phone with a screen that wraps around the sides! Why you ask? Ummmm....... Errrr........... Screw you! You hate change!".

A phone is junk if it's any thicker than a sheet of heavy bond paper. At least that's what the guys down in marketing tell me.

"Let's take arguably the most appealing OS UI ever developed, make it 2D, remove a bunch of functionality, move things all over the place and fill it with fruity squares and unwanted advertisements! Why you ask? Ummmm....... Errrr........... Screw you! You hate change!".

It's rape, pure and simple. The marketing is so good that people aren't complaining. In fact many people are defending their rapists.

I'm indignant. At this rate if I don't become a Luddite I'm going to end up a drunken, misanthropic loner.

So, I tried this at home as well, and the auto-scrolling thing doesn't happen.

I wonder if it is something that is only enabled in Windows? Both of the systems tested were Linux boxes.

It's called BitTorrent WebUI. It's a thing of beauty. You click on a torrent link and it automatically adds it to your BT client on a different machine.

I doubt many of the addons I use will get updated. I know the theme I use won't as the developer has stated as much. The real killer is that many of them simply recreate functionality that FF removed in years past. WTF is wrong with people? If it aint broke don't fix it! Change for change's sake? Jesus. Change happens of its own accord. Nothing we need to to to facilitate the process. High technology is rampant with this shit.

"Let's make a phone with a screen that wraps around the sides! Why you ask? Ummmm....... Errrr........... Screw you! You hate change!".

A phone is junk if it's any thicker than a sheet of heavy bond paper. At least that's what the guys down in marketing tell me.

"Let's take arguably the most appealing OS UI ever developed, make it 2D, remove a bunch of functionality, move things all over the place and fill it with fruity squares and unwanted advertisements! Why you ask? Ummmm....... Errrr........... Screw you! You hate change!".

It's rape, pure and simple. The marketing is so good that people aren't complaining. In fact many people are defending their rapists.

I'm indignant. At this rate if I don't become a Luddite I'm going to end up a drunken, misanthropic loner.

The more you say the more i agree
windows use to be able to have SEPERATE toolbas from the taskbar. i rmember in w2k i had a adresssse bar in the top pf my screen with a folder as a another abar with my drive in it
AND you used to be able to use autorun.ini to change the icons of drives making them faster to recognize...

but know its... we have phones eople like phones lets make a crappy looking thing that reminds people of phones and have no logical barries and put that into ad desktop OS....

Back