Firefox Hardware Report

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the latest Firefox Hardware Report, most Firefox users are running older PCs with Windows 7, Intel processors and graphics. Other freaky facts include things like more Firefox users are running AMD video cards than NVIDIA and the most popular display resolution by far is 1366 x 768. :eek:

Wait, so it's either most Firefox users are using Intel graphics or it's more Firefox users are running AMD/Nvidia - so, which is it actually?

Disclaimer: Firefox Portable user, Windows 7 Pro, pure Intel hardware (CPU/GPU), 1600x900, and I don't contribute info to the hardware data pool that Mozilla is generating those statistics from.

Wait, so it's either most Firefox users are using Intel graphics or it's more Firefox users are running AMD/Nvidia - so, which is it actually?

Steve says:
1) Most Firefox users are running Intel processors and graphics.*
2) More Firefox users are running AMD video cards than NVIDIA.*

*of users with Firefox's built in telemetry enabled.

More != Most

Or the report is from 2006 and not 2016.

I can't remember the last time I used that resolution, even on my last few laptops.

Funny my PC is nearly the opposite of the bulk of their user statistics. I think this just goes that the bulk of users these days have netbooks, laptops, and tablets which in general have horrible resolution screens on them more often than not. Those type of users generally aren't tech savvy enough to even care quite frankly plus are on screens so small that the advantages of higher resolutions are greatly diminished. I mean if you decrease DPI and shrink screen size down while increasing resolution eye strain tends to increase at comfortable viewing distances hell that's why I'd recommend a 49"-56" 4K display over a 43" 4K display liked I ended up getting by a long shot if I were buying another I'd go a size up especially when you take into account DSR as well.

Its lack of understanding math and adjectives

Math issue:
Most of ALL users (This is the pool of ALL users)
More user are using AMD over Nvidia = MOST user are running AMD of the group that has either AMD or Nvidia (It is not he same pool as ALL users)

Adjective issue:
More is not the same as Most
You can have more money than several people without having the most money in the world.

Both. It's two separate statements. Most users are running Intel processors and graphics. More users are running AMD GPUs compared to NVIDIA.

I got it, I got it, I meant to put a smiley at the end of that sentence and I missed it, my mistake, I got it. ;)

Or the report is from 2006 and not 2016.

I can't remember the last time I used that resolution, even on my last few laptops.

a lot of mid range consumer laptops still use 1366x768 and it was the standard resolution of almost every laptop until mid 2015 when 1080p displays on laptops and tablets really took off.

So their data comes from the standard release version of Firefox. Most of the "tech-savy" people I know that use Firefox do not use the standard release builds, it makes me wonder what the data from beta/dev/aurora/nightly looks like. So I wonder if the reason their data looks shows such... underwhelming hardware is because of their sample pool.

Also could the number of Intel GPUs being listed be caused by GPU switching tech? Like using the on chip gpu for low power use, like web browsing, and switching to an AMD or nVidia GPU for games.

The resolution surprised me but 4GB ram shocked me. People just dont seem to be buying new hardware.

So many Intel IGPs. lol

Also could the number of Intel GPUs being listed be caused by GPU switching tech? Like using the on chip gpu for low power use, like web browsing, and switching to an AMD or nVidia GPU for games.
I think there's 2 reasons. Switchable graphics might be part of it, but most laptops and desktops only ship with a single GPU. Intel has about 2/3 of the overall GPU market (including both discrete and integrated). The other reason is that Intel's iGPU models are not as fractured as AMD's and Nvidia's discrete models, where each has a tiny shard of market share. On Intel's side it's mostly just a CPU generation split mostly between GT1 and GT2. The others, like GT3, GT4, GT3e and a possible future GT4e have almost insignificant shares.

Well, this certainly explains why Firefox users are constantly complaint about Chrome's RAM use, if they are all on such low end hardware :p

I would have expected alternative OS:es to have more representation here. Most people I know who use Firefox are Linux guys.

(I'm a Linux guy too, but I still prefer chrome)

It's not surprising. When was the last time people needed to upgrade? It's a reason why a lot of people go with video game consoles. A 10 year old computer is good enough for most non gaming tasks. Sure, Chrome runs better if you have 8 TB of RAM, but if I can just use Fire Fox instead, as Office has run well on my current machine...

Umm...ok... or 80% of people that own laptops.

ya 80% didn't care to make sure the got a nice display or just being cheap see it at best buy all the time.

My Gen 1 sony ultrabook laptop that is many years old is 1600x900 because I cared.

Well, this certainly explains why Firefox users are constantly complaint about Chrome's RAM use, if they are all on such low end hardware :p

I would have expected alternative OS:es to have more representation here. Most people I know who use Firefox are Linux guys.

We just replaced about 20 desktops with laptops here at work, and Firefox is part of our software image. Government machines must count in this as well as all the rest.

i prefer chrome but i think firefox is slightly easier to use for people that aren't as competent with computers. i tried getting my parents to switch to chrome but after 20 minutes i gave up and told them to keep using firefox, lol. chrome has way to many things hidden behind "advanced" options and shit that firefox doesn't have.

i prefer chrome but i think firefox is slightly easier to use for people that aren't as competent with computers. i tried getting my parents to switch to chrome but after 20 minutes i gave up and told them to keep using firefox, lol. chrome has way to many things hidden behind "advanced" options and shit that firefox doesn't have.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I can't think of a single thing that is hidden anywhere in Chrome. It just works like any other browser.

Meh, I stopped using Mozilla Firefox long time ago and switched to Palemoon x64.

While I still use the perfect OS of win7 x64 with cpu parking disabled.

Back