Firefox 4.0 Windows Theme Mockups

I like it, I think it fits in with Windows 7 alot better. though it does look a bit IE8ish to me....maybe if they did everything but move the control buttons (stop, refresh, home)

It does try to look like IE8 and Chrome. The gray Page and Tools buttons are Safari'ish too. The combo stop/refresh/go button idea is nice though. I still like the Firefox 3.5 Anycolor addon black theme just fine though. I don't need transparency to see my black desktop when everything is already black.

Looks fine to me. I don't understand the need for all the excessive semi-transparency, but whatever. I guess that's what the kids are into these days. Barely legible title bar text? Doesn't matter. The background is semi-transparent (Ooh! Ahh! Amazing technology!)

why are they removing the menu bar? My monitor is plenty big enough for the awesome bar and the menu bar to live on together. If they remove it they better have ubiquity built in and it better not break anymore of my commands. The awesome bar better still give me the "I feel lucky" search to it instead of chromes generic google search.

It doesn't look stylish enough for a stylish person such as myself.

why i use firefox: tabs work the best, easy to use... quick for work (i have tons of shit open)

this looks like a step backwards but its just a skin... its a minimalist approach but thats not why i choose firefox.

Don't really care. I'll end up skinning it anyways with something else. Different add-ons and Chromifox Extreme maximize my viewing pleasure with FF 3.5.1 and FF 4.0 will be no different.

Opera is better anyway, but I DEFINITELY won't touch FF anymore if they make it look like this. It's a GOOD thing that FF doesn't look like IE7/8 - why mess that up?

I like the "tabs on top" approach shown on the bottom when you visit their site.

The "saves vertical space" Pro really jumps out to netbook users such as myself.

Also, who looks at the title bar anyway, when the tab has the title in it. It's redundant!

In my opinion, the tabs on top definitely sucks. The tabs on bottom is ok. I'd have no problem with them offering a choice. Of course it still needs to support themes.

As long as the code functions better and faster than before...

Heck, why don't they leave skinning it to the users and just make the release version plain?

meh... I like the old school look. I always skinned it anyway and that option had better still be available.

Of course it will still support themes people... c'mon... this is Firefox we're talking about. I personally love the new look... wish I could get that theme for 3.5.

tabs on top ftw. It gives it a touch of the beauty of Chrome, but will have the power of FF plugins!

In any case, hopefully FF4 will feel less bloated than FF as been as of late.

Liking ransom top mockup, makes explaining that the address bar depends on the open tab much easier to people like my parents.

Hate it. I strongly prefer the current FF layout to any of the other browsers. Of course, given that it is FF, I will probably still be able to add back toolbars that I like (like bookmarks) and edit the navigation bar.

I don't really understand the obsessive need to get rid of almost all the buttons on the browser. I personally like my Home, Stop, Refresh, etc buttons right where they are and don't feel that there needs to be any efficiency improvements there... I really feel that its more about being "different" than even caring at all if a change actually represents an improvement.

Getting rid of space-hogging UI elements provides more room for actually viewing webpages. While it's not a problem for huge monitors, it is a concern for netbooks and people still using smaller monitors.

why are they removing the menu bar? My monitor is plenty big enough for the awesome bar and the menu bar to live on together. If they remove it they better have ubiquity built in and it better not break anymore of my commands. The awesome bar better still give me the "I feel lucky" search to it instead of chromes generic google search.

Agreed

I don't want to click 5 or 6 times when i can have a menu bar and click twice

meh, i like mine better. what will they do with the search bar?!!?

ffhocp.png

If I wanted to use IE then I would use IE.
I do not like the arrangement and the layout of IE.
That is why I use FF.
I like being able to customize and move stuff around how I like it.
I also like having the tab bar open only when/if I have tabs open.
Clean, simple, minimal space taken up by the browser.

...well, my $0.02 anyway :cool:

So is Windows 7 going to have those hideous vista-style buttons for min/max/close? That's a deal breaker for me.

So is Windows 7 going to have those hideous vista-style buttons for min/max/close? That's a deal breaker for me.

I sure hope you are kidding. This has got to be one of the DUMBEST things I've read in a while. But by all means, go ahead and stay with XP (or whatever you currently have) because of three tiny little UI buttons.

I sure hope you are kidding. This has got to be one of the DUMBEST things I've read in a while. But by all means, go ahead and stay with XP (or whatever you currently have) because of three tiny little UI buttons.

Yeah 3 little UI buttons that are the most used functions of the entire interface. It was stupid for them to change them to begin with they were fine how they were, they just changed them to make it look different, it didnt matter whether or not it was an improvement, and I have a real problem with that. And frankly just about every one of the cosmetic changes made to vista were just awful. Considering vista was nothing but cosmetic changes made it not worth switching, at best it should have been sold as a windows theme for like $10. So far Windows 7 looks to me like nothing more than vista with a slightly different quicklaunch bar and some additional resource-sapping graphical nonsense. While XP remains flawless and the only legitimate criticism you can make of it are the artificial limits placed on it purposely by microsoft (no dx10).

Back