Firefox 3.5 Is Out

bah - not compatible with one of my favourite add-ons - "yet another smooth scrolling"

oh well. i guess i have to wait for it to be updated :(

Get the MR Tech Toolkit and force your add-ons to compatibility. You can do that with this add-on.

OMG GMail loads a lot faster!!! It's like Chrome speeds now. Firefox 3.5 + Chromifox basic = :D

Also, there's a way to install "incompatible" extensions without disabling the check. Here's how:

1. Download the extension, example linkcheker.xpi
2. Rename linchecker.xpi to linkchecker.xpi.zip
3. Open the ZIP with WinZip, drag the install.rdf file
4. Open install.rdf file with Notepad
5. Look for "<em:maxVersion>3.0.*</em:maxVersion>" and change to "<em:maxVersion>3.*.*</em:maxVersion>"
6. File > Save
7. Drag the install.rdf file back into WinZip and replace
8. Rename the ZIP back to an XPI
9. Drag XPI into Firefox 3.5

This should install and you want to test if the actual extension works.

Heh, I installed RC last night. I only used it to download final.

Seems faster and I like the private browsing

You still need flash to watch videos so I don't know html5 helps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STS-114

Scroll to the bottom of that page and watch the video... no plugins required! Try scrolling through the video after a little downloads too... much faster than Flash. And try right clicking on the video to see what options you get.

I think Ryan Paul at ars has something on his mind:
With a stroke at the keyboard, users can erect stiff privacy barriers that will prevent their Web surfing habits from penetrating the browser history and defiling the sensitive auto-completion system with incriminating data where it might arouse the suspicions of subsequent users.

Someone needs to cancel his Enzyte order. :p

Get the MR Tech Toolkit and force your add-ons to compatibility. You can do that with this add-on.

hey thanks for the tip - nice little add-on and it got it working again.

does anyone else find that it takes longer to open 3.5 than 3.0.11?

Firefox has fallen off the wagon IMO

It's super laggy and slow these days - its always freezing up for me :(

Thats because you most likely have MyWay malware on your computer, probably dropped by a virus or refer installer. They have made a version that "works" with Firefox for a long time now. Except that it doesn't work. Scan your computer with Spybot and Antivir

3.5 is a great browser and a nice improvement over 3, performance and feature wise, similar to how 2.5 was a nice boost.

OMG GMail loads a lot faster!!! It's like Chrome speeds now. Firefox 3.5 + Chromifox basic = :D

Agreed, its very, very noticeably faster.

Also, there's a way to install "incompatible" extensions without disabling the check. Here's how:

1. Download the extension, example linkcheker.xpi
2. Rename linchecker.xpi to linkchecker.xpi.zip
3. Open the ZIP with WinZip, drag the install.rdf file
4. Open install.rdf file with Notepad
5. Look for "<em:maxVersion>3.0.*</em:maxVersion>" and change to "<em:maxVersion>3.*.*</em:maxVersion>"
6. File > Save
7. Drag the install.rdf file back into WinZip and replace
8. Rename the ZIP back to an XPI
9. Drag XPI into Firefox 3.5

This should install and you want to test if the actual extension works.

Dude, there is a MUCH easier way to do that...

Add "extensions.compatibilityCheck" to the "about:config" page and set it to "false".... restart Firefox.

Done.

:p

:mad:

Why the hell did they make Ctrl+W act the same way as Alt+F4??

Absolutely kills usability.

Downloaded. Seems nice and snappy, 3.5 starts up a bit faster than 3.0.11 on my computer. No complaints. I already edited some settings in about:config, so all of my themes/add-on's are working no problem.

Good stuff!

3.5 starts up a bit faster than 3.0.11 on my computer

yeah - i screwed up and realized i installed it at work using an account that has limited permissions. it installed to the documents and settings/all users folder and that was making it start up quite slow

after a clean uninstall and reinstall back into program files it is snappy as hell right now. this is one nice browser

downloaded and enjoying it very much. had a few extensions that caused my previous install of firefox to load slowly, this seems much better.

Here's a CNET review of FF 3.5. To sum it up, they gave it 5/5. :cool: Its users rate it 4.5/5 (over 11,000 votes), although that probably includes prior versions - I don't know how far back.

It brings back memories seeing "Firebird" in that drop-down box. :)

Awesome. Definitely a lot faster loading so far. Happy to give up Crystal Menus for this kind of speed.

Can you run Firefox 3.0.11 and 3.5 concurrently or will the installation remove 3.0.11? From what I recall, FF 2.x and FF 3.0.0 were able to run concurrently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STS-114

Scroll to the bottom of that page and watch the video... no plugins required! Try scrolling through the video after a little downloads too... much faster than Flash. And try right clicking on the video to see what options you get.

I see, so the "you don't need additional plugins" is somewhat misleading. Ogg is far from popular, certainly no where near flash nor mp4.

Still, a step in the right direction.

Yes you can run 3.0.11 (for workgroups :p) at the same time you run 3.5 (new technology :p), just install to different folders. To be safe I would use different profiles for each instance as well, otherwise they will use the same profile database files. Here is all the info you need on profiles.

Who needs themes? The anycolor addon does a good job. I can finally have a black firefox theme without annoying graphics, also the bookmark sidebar is a dark grey instead of white like it is with themes.

With 3.5 launch, Firefox faces new challengers

Yes you can run 3.0.11 (for workgroups :p) at the same time you run 3.5 (new technology :p), just install to different folders. To be safe I would use different profiles for each instance as well, otherwise they will use the same profile database files. Here is all the info you need on profiles.

Who needs themes? The anycolor addon does a good job. I can finally have a black firefox theme without annoying graphics, also the bookmark sidebar is a dark grey instead of white like it is with themes.

Thanks. But I might just be daring by letting it install in the same folder and uninstall 3.0.11. Of course I'll back up my profile first, so I guess I'm not *that* daring. :eek:

Now when is Mozilla going to give Thunderbird a sorely needed upgrade from 2.x to 3.0? It seems like they've all bug ignored it, with the exception of the occasional bug-fix update. I use Thunderbird as much as I use Firefox, so the lack of progress on TB concerns me. :(

criccio, I think you mean FF 3.5, not 2.5. :p

I see, so the "you don't need additional plugins" is somewhat misleading. Ogg is far from popular, certainly no where near flash nor mp4.

Still, a step in the right direction.

well, the idea is, that ogg will become more popular, and i would assume google might help this trend, since they have such a high stake in mozilla.
really, the only people who want flash/mp4/silverlight to handle video are m$, apple, and adobe.
I think FF will reallf start to show it's influence in HTML5

Maybe I need a fresh install, I don't know. . .

I am running into the following problems:
1) The Back and Forward buttons don't work.
2) It won't start on my Home page. Just gives a blank screen eveery time. Yes, I've seen the option to change it.
3) Links open in a new window instead of a new tab. Again, seen the option, but did nothing.

The only thing I can think of is that somehow Firetune screwed something up to where it wouldn't upgrade properly. . .checking now.

I've been on the RC for a week now and I thought a couple problems would be straightened before the final release. I still can't access my email..

Fixed. . .apparently a clean install is the solution to a lot of problems with this new version.

I have several add-ons, and none of them have given me a problem. Like others have said, the new version is FAST!

Cause personas are fugly?

I like my Walnut theme. The one good thing about reinstalling FF was that I found a newer better version of it that the author had released in addition to updating the original.

Update to my posts above: I'm an idiot. I think maybe Steve should revoke my [H] license or something. Turns out my problem was merely a problematic extension, called "Print Hint" (supposed to find printer-friendly versions of pages). Turns out it freezes FF on startup, and nothing happens while it just sits there doing God-knows-what. Bye-bye bad extension that I can live without!

The other odd thing was that I had to reinstall Java. Java apps simply didn't work until I used Add/Remove Programs in Windows and then reinstalled it from the Java web site.

It's so tempting to upgrade now, but I'll resist for at least a week. Hopefully. ;)

So FF 4 should be out in mid-2010? I hope they do another record breaking download campaign for that like they did for FF3 last year. :cool:

Back