Firedfly/DSee Threat Detected: Aft Shields at 75%

R-Type

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2011
You two have forced my hand, lets see if 75% power can hold you off for a bit while I get the last rig up and running. ;)

NT8aV.jpg

50LDN.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to get a front row seat to this as I'll be getting mowed by these guys.

You have no chance to survive make your time.

All your D are belong to us!

Yes yes, I would be more concerned if I hadn't been lightly involved in some of the procurement. :p

My fate is sealed for now, but we will see how long I can hold you off...:D

Coming soon....
KEYxn.jpg

Last edited:
Heh...I helped in the procurement on some of your parts as well!

The build is looking nice. I can't way to see the finished product (and ppd!).

So, the faster ram for the sr-2 came in today. I've run out of table space, so I've had to resort to using the kitchen counter/bar to setup the next 2p...

asus2p.jpg

Seems like your 2P is thirsty, maybe you should give it a drink!

So, the faster ram for the sr-2 came in today. I've run out of table space, so I've had to resort to using the kitchen counter/bar to setup the next 2p...

asus2p.jpg

From the windows, to the walls....

One more rig to bring online later this week...

statsiw.png

You are going to roar past with me putting out only 750-800k, damn the game is tough at these levels...

Unfortunately I won't be able to bring anymore power online after this as I'm at the limits of the breakers in every zone of my apartment. I am planning to move in June however...;)

Damn, I remember when I was hot shit for having 30k ppd... and a farm of 18 power hungry gpu's coming online. now youre doing like 12x my projected max ppd with probly 50-75% the power draw. And I was hoping to get back into the fold with just a single SR2 going, looks like I'm not even going to make the 20 list :(

The times they are a changing...

EDIT

If I may, do you have anymore info on the 4P listed there? It's a 6174 based rig I get that, but how much did you spend to build that monster? What board did you use in particular?

If I may, do you have anymore info on the 4P listed there? It's a 6174 based rig I get that, but how much did you spend to build that monster? What board did you use in particular?

I'm using the TYAN S8812WGM3NR. I traded an sr-2 (board only) + $$ to get the Tyan. I'd say it was ~$500 for the Tyan. However, it is recommended to pick up one of the SuperMicro quad g34 boards instead. They can be configured to give a slight OC. 12.5% was the last I heard. You can get the cheaper SuperMicro board for ~$630 new.

As for cpu's, I'm actually running 3x6174 and 1x6176 all at 6174 speeds. I picked up a pair of 6174's for $900. I got a VERY good deal on the 6176 (thanks DSee!) for $320. The final 6174 was loaned out to me by another team member. Musky is currently acquiring 6172's on ebay. I think most of his have been in the $350-400 range.

For memory, I'm running some GSkill 2x2gb DDR1600 cl8 kits (F3-12800CL8D-4GBXM). Two kits per cpu, 4 cpus. So, 8x40 = $320 for ram. Tear convinced me to upgrade on my most recent ram purchase. The ram in one of the sr-2's is the CL7 version of this ram that I plan to migrate into another 4p in the spring.

I'm using CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ HSF's. R-type was able to figure out how to mod the 212's bracket to be used on the g34 cpus. 4x$30 = $120.

I'm using an Antec HCG-620 PSU that I got for ~$70.

So, I'd estimate the total cost spent would be ~$2250.

My loop runs red with the blood of our enemies!
JcYAZ.jpg

Gz1ae.jpg

Don't get too cozy firedfly. ;)

Last edited:
R type I liked what you said before the edit :)

Firedfly that's a nice rig for the price. I personally went with slower 1GB dimms and saved a few hundred there.

R-type, what case is that? I really like your loop, what all did you use for that? You've got some crazy rads setup there, do you really need that much for two 5640's?

I dont think thats 2x L5640's ;) ...... maybe in the 4.0 Ghz range.....dont know if R-Type wants it said...

R-type, what case is that? I really like your loop, what all did you use for that? You've got some crazy rads setup there, do you really need that much for two 5640's?

Those are no 5640's, they are substantially....warmer. ;) Final clocks should be around 4.2 ghz on 12 cores.

I'll do a full thread as usual when it is complete but specifically for your question, the case is the Xigmatek Elysium and was the first HPTX case by whatever OEM Xigmatek used. Since then the Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra and Aerocool Strike-X ST have also been released with different aesthetics on the same basic package, however the Elysium remains the best choice for water cooling.

Elysium
Blackhawk
Strike-X ST

The water loop consists of a MCP-655B, MCR240, 2x BlackIce Xtreme II (120 and 240), Apogee XT II blocks, primochill tube and kink coil, and Panaflo 2150 rpm fans. Its definitely a lot of surface area for 2 chips but will allow me to run the fans slower while still keeping temps under control. I'm sure the loudest thing in here will be that damned chipset fan.

I'm feeling some drafts coming through my anti mowing shed, cut that out firedfly!

QUjbg.jpg

Last edited:
You may strike me down now, but I will return as R-Type the White and unleash a revenge mowing in the summer heat the likes of which you have never seen.:p

You may strike me down now, but I will return as R-Type the White and unleash a revenge mowing in the summer heat the likes of which you have never seen.:p
I would have responded to that, but I fear I may be warned for posting off-topic. So with that I congratulate you both for the excellent showing and arms race. FOLD ON! My [H]ard brother's and lay waste to all that stands in your way!

Last edited:
I would have responded to that, but I fear I may be warned for posting off-topic. So with that I congratulate you both for the excellent showing and arms race. FOLD ON! My [H]ard brother's and lay waste to all the stands in your way!
its a strange day in DC land when we fear our witty banter will be flagged as off topic

Back