• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

finding a good motherboard...

Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
33
Here is the predicament I am currently in. I would like to build a new computer and I want to go with a high end AMD processor but I want the new board to be able to handle the bulldozer when it comes out. I'm not really sure which motherboard to go with. I'm really up in the air with brand, but i want it to be an AM3 motherboard, just wondering what yall recommend.

http://img.myph.us/tUx.png

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119196

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130591

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341041

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103913

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227541

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227542


any thoughts would be awesome


EDIT: kind of a fail on the whole hyper linking.
 
No current board will support bulldozer. Bulldozer will have a new socket.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Here is the predicament I am currently in. I would like to build a new computer and I want to go with a high end AMD processor but I want the new board to be able to handle the bulldozer when it comes out. I'm not really sure which motherboard to go with. I'm really up in the air with brand, but i want it to be an AM3 motherboard, just wondering what yall recommend.

That's why you haven't found a motherboard yet: The only socket backwards compatibility that the Bulldozer CPUs will have is with the AM3+ socket. That socket has not been released yet. So in other words, no matter what motherboard you choose, from a $300 AM3 mobo to a $50 AM3 mobo, it won't be compatible with Bulldozer.

As for that setup, it's simply a bad setup all around. Overpriced RAM, poor choice for a SSD, so-so quality but overpriced PSU, so-so GPU choice, and overpriced and outdated CPU. You definitely can do a whole lot better for that $871 total of your current setup:

$216 - Intel Core i5 2500K
$90 - G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$122 - Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 2.5" 64GB SSD
$90 - Corsair 650TX 650W PSU
$240 - XFX HD-687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB PCI-E Video Card
---
Total: $758 plus tax and shipping.

Key notes:
- The Core i5 2500K pretty much beats the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T in a vast majority of apps and games. Not to mention, it can OC significantly higher.
- That Crucial SSD is faster than the OCZ SSD
- That Corsair PSU is of significantly better quality than that OCZ PSU
- That G.Skill RAM has lower voltage which means lesser heat and higher chances of a good OC than the OCZ RAM
- While still under budget, you now have a significantly faster video card.

So despite your hard choice of picking out a motherboard, that current AMD setup is simply not that good for the money by any reasonable metric.
 
Back
Top