Find the IP of a device with no console

jadams

2[H]4U
We have a call recorder solution out there that is very appliance-ish. No console. Comes from the factory with a default ip addres that can be changed through its webgui.

Got a call from the customer today that the web interface no longer comes up. One of the possible things i that they changed the IP address of the recorder.

Of course when you ask customers "what did you change?" you always get "nothing" as answer.

I have a service call on site with them in Balitmore tomorrow scheduled and this is the only scenario I'm not prepared for. Theres no way to reset to default settings other than from the webgui... lol. So if they did change the IP address of this thing how can i find out what it is?

arp -a on a client computer? Manually assign an IP to the MAC address of the appliance by adding a static ARP entry?

hmmm, hope i can find the MAC address on this thing. especially w/ out taking it apart.

Or perhaps scan the IP range for an open port 80 (ie the web interface)? :D Something like nmap.

if i connect directly to it with a laptop i should be able to get its mac address fairly easily.

Or perhaps scan the IP range for an open port 80 (ie the web interface)? :D Something like nmap.

what i fear is that in this scenario they changed it to an IP address thats already in use. the ip address that we have on record does respnod to pings for them. but i really dont know what machine out there is really responding in this scenario.

if i connect directly to it with a laptop i should be able to get its mac address fairly easily.

Assuming it keeps it's IP address after unplugging it's cable. I agree with the nmap approach.

It should show up on the router table.

Also if you installed and support this device why do you have to ask a forum?

Certainly you can contact the manufacture of this product and they can provide you the instructions for resolving this issue.

I've used netscan.
If the IP doesn't match the MAC in netscan, then you have a duplicate IP. If the IP matches the MAC, then the device is hung.

Look at the switch database for MAC on the port the device is plugged into and then map that MAC to an ip on the default router.

Also if you installed and support this device why do you have to ask a forum?

Certainly you can contact the manufacture of this product and they can provide you the instructions for resolving this issue.

Well..... because I installed and support it i know that putting in a ticket, waiting for a response, getting past the jerkoff in T1, then waiting around for a call from T2 would take more than a week.

Furthermore this is only ONE scenario. I could get down there and it simply be that the fuckin thing is turned off, who knows.

I trust in the people here alot more for something as trivial as this. And wouldnt you know... I got several responses in minutes.

Look at the switch database for MAC on the port the device is plugged into and then map that MAC to an ip on the default router.

This is a police station, and their IT is.... almost nonexistent. Getting into customer's networking equipment is normally not an option. At least until $$$ is brought up. But this just expands the time line.

If i connect directly to this thing and load up wireshark i should get soem sort of chatter, no?

Well..... because I installed and support it i know that putting in a ticket, waiting for a response, getting past the jerkoff in T1, then waiting around for a call from T2 would take more than a week.

Furthermore this is only ONE scenario. I could get down there and it simply be that the fuckin thing is turned off, who knows.

I trust in the people here alot more for something as trivial as this. And wouldnt you know... I got several responses in minutes.

Ugh, that's terrible support from a hardware vendor. Have you looked into software based options for a call recorder?

Of course. And we provide those. This is only a single solution we use for the cheapest of customers out there.

We have giant products that can record 1000's of agents, do voice recognition, tone of voice, word spotting, workstation screen recording, and a plethora of other junk that integrates nicely into Cisco, Avaya, Shortel, Nortel, IPC, Speakerbus and many other phone vendors

Police stations dont normally opt for those kinds of things. They just want to record their crappy analog radios recorded.

www.nice.com

Most 'appliance' type devices have a 'reset to factory defaults' button of some type. Google can find the manual for almost anything sold in the last 20 years if you have the manufacturer and part number. RTFM and follow the instructions for a factory reset. Even if you lose some of their recordings (unlikely) you are no worse off than you are today - as is, its as good as a paperweight anyway.

Most 'appliance' type devices have a 'reset to factory defaults' button of some type. Google can find the manual for almost anything sold in the last 20 years if you have the manufacturer and part number. RTFM and follow the instructions for a factory reset. Even if you lose some of their recordings (unlikely) you are no worse off than you are today - as is, its as good as a paperweight anyway.

Thanks, that sounds really helpful....

until you've actually worked with this hardware/software/documentation and the vendor themselves.

I wish "advice" posts didnt make assumptions, but only addressed the actual question in the OP.

Of course. And we provide those. This is only a single solution we use for the cheapest of customers out there.

We have giant products that can record 1000's of agents, do voice recognition, tone of voice, word spotting, workstation screen recording, and a plethora of other junk that integrates nicely into Cisco, Avaya, Shortel, Nortel, IPC, Speakerbus and many other phone vendors

Police stations dont normally opt for those kinds of things. They just want to record their crappy analog radios recorded.

www.nice.com

Yeah, I have only used the software based solutions, they work really well 99% of the time, until for no reason at all the database corrupts itself and you have to rebuild it. Which isn't that bad considering you only need to reference the file locations for the records most of the time.

Yeah, I have only used the software based solutions, they work really well 99% of the time, until for no reason at all the database corrupts itself and you have to rebuild it. Which isn't that bad considering you only need to reference the file locations for the records most of the time.

NICE doesn't make any more hardware recorders anymore. As a matter of fact this particular product will be EOL shortly. Even finding someone in their support that knows about these dinosaurs can be a task. Its really not a good solution at all but sometimes customers come at us with a budget of X and that's all they can afford.

Their software products now are very robust. And considering customers maintain their database and a/v storage locations properly then its usually not an issue to restore their system.

This system... no backup cept for dvd-ram lull. No raid0 for the os. Pretty dumb for an all in one solution but you getbwhat you pay for. So long as the sales people make them aware of these risks. So I don't look like too much of am asshole when I tell them they're fucked.

Luckily we only have two customers left on this thing. The others have upgraded to something a little more functional once they actually use it and see this limited this thing is.

Thanks, that sounds really helpful....

until you've actually worked with this hardware/software/documentation and the vendor themselves.

I wish "advice" posts didnt make assumptions, but only addressed the actual question in the OP.

Hmmm. I wish people writing posts looking for help didn't act like self-righteous jerks when reasonable suggestions are offered don't happen to help...good luck to you. You'll need it if you treat people honestly trying to help you this way.

Hmmm. I wish people writing posts looking for help didn't act like self-righteous jerks when reasonable suggestions are offered don't happen to help...good luck to you. You'll need it if you treat people honestly trying to help you this way.

You assumed I didnt read the manual for a product I support. I wouldnt insult someones intelligence like that. And then also made assumptions about what would happen on a factory settings reset.

I'm the expert here on THIS particular peice of equipment. I know its capabilities and its limitations. I assure you I read the manual a looooong time ago, and the information I'm searching for cannot be found there. Hence this forum thread, which actually if i just thought about for another 10 mins i would have figured out. Though I find that talking it out is very helpful.

Sorry, I guess i get a little upset over any RTFM posts at all.

So long as the sales people make them aware of these risks. So I don't look like too much of am asshole when I tell them they're fucked.

That is simultaneously my most favorite and least favorite part of doing support.

That is simultaneously my most favorite and least favorite part of doing support.

My one sales person said its his job to lie and for me to make them come true. I want to punch them in the face sometimes as they collect their big comissions while I'm busting my ass making something (unsupported) work that they promised. :D

My one sales person said its his job to lie and for me to make them come true. I want to punch them in the face sometimes as they collect their big comissions while I'm busting my ass making something (unsupported) work that they promised. :D

And that why I got fired from one of my jobs. lol

You assumed I didnt read the manual for a product I support. I wouldnt insult someones intelligence like that. And then also made assumptions about what would happen on a factory settings reset.

I'm the expert here on THIS particular peice of equipment. I know its capabilities and its limitations. I assure you I read the manual a looooong time ago, and the information I'm searching for cannot be found there. Hence this forum thread, which actually if i just thought about for another 10 mins i would have figured out. Though I find that talking it out is very helpful.

Sorry, I guess i get a little upset over any RTFM posts at all.

Don't be sorry. You are who you are. Just don't expect much help when you are spitting an attitude all over the thread you started asking for help...

Did..... you try forcing an unexpected reboot? :D

HAHA, no. I dont have remote access to this one. Who ever triaged the call had them reboot it though.

I actually had a service call for these guys before when they were vlan'ing re-ip'ing some things in their network for the same thing, though previously it wasnt responding to pings. This time it is.

The PC's that access this thing are not on the same vlan/subnet as far as I can remember. Any number of things could have happened.

My job tomorrow is to connect to it directly with my laptop and bring up the web interface. They can fix whatever they fucked up after that.

With just the details I have, I'm willing to bet that the machine replying to the ping is NOT our recorder, or they are blocking port 80 somewhere. None of which is our problem :D

UPDATE:

cuz I know everyone in this thread is on the edge of their seats and new people will get a chuckle out of this as well....

Arrived on site to find that it wasn't even plugged into the data port on the wall! Derp!

Once I plugged it back in I too discovered they were pinging the wrong IP address. Double derp!

So I took the advice in this thread, got the IP of recorder and brought up the web interface on my laptop.

5.5 hrs of driving 234 miles, 20 minutes of actually work. Home by 5pm. Not a bad day, and only the third stupidest thing I've gotten a service call for.

Back