Finally upgrading after 2+ years

vick1000

2[H]4U
It's been two years since I have built myself a new system, after building about fifty for other folks in that time. I resisted the upgrade bug for longer than anytime in my history, but I just couldn't pass up on the deals early this week from the egg. It started out as just a mainboard-CPU-RAM upgrade (MB and RAM required of course), but I just said to hell with it, I can give my old system to a needy person (still did everything I asked of it).

Old=

Core2 Quad Q9300 at 3.0ghz (Thermalright 120 Ultra)
8GB PC28500
GTX260
Fatality X-Fi
Ati HDTV Tuner
OCZ Vertex2 60GB
150GB V.Raptor
320GB WD Blue
1TB WD Blue
Lite-on 4x Bluray drive
Antec P180 case
Enermax 625w Modu 82+

New=

Core i5 2500K (w/ Corsair CAFA50 combo deal -$10=$248)
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 (w/Crucial M4 64GB SSD combo deal -$35=$223
G.Skill Ripjaws PC312800 8GB (spotlight deal for $69)
eVGA GTX560ti $234
WD Caviar Blue 1TB $60
Antec P183 $140
Antec CP-850 $130
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium OEM $99 (old license to go w/ old PC)
free 4GB Kingston USB drive
(X-fi, V.raptor, WD 1TB, Bluray, and TVcard will transfer)

Total with shipping= $1218

Now I have to wait on UPS and hope they dont get too rough in transit. If there were only some decent games to test it out with. Maybe I'll install STALKER CoP and the Complete mod on extreme settings. Anything else beside the usual "shallow eye candy treats" like Crysis out there. Is Metro 2033 worth it maybe?

should be a nice system, I have been thinking of upgrading my video card. But its playing everything ok so far. *system in sig*

Man I feel your pain about not upgrading in a long time, my system by the time I upgrade late this year/early next will be 4.5+ years old (Core2 E6600 with 8800GTX graphics), which is an eternity for me.

Prior to this system I usually built a new box at least every 2 years if not more, but this one has handled most of my gaming needs on my single monitor relatively well until the most recent games, so I've just dealt with the upgrade itching & burning for the last couple years. :D

Good luck with your new build, looks nice, looking forward to doing the same soon.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm in the process of building my system now. Last system build was about 4-5 years ago with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 w/ 8600 GTS :D

Looks like a nice upgrade. I am still on my system in my sig I built back in early 2007. I am getting the itch to upgrade, but the rig still does what I need it to.

For a long time I've wanted to see how my rig would run if I just plopped a quad in it, but I cant justify spending the money on this old system being those old quads are still a bit pricey.

At any rate enjoy your new rig.

Well finally got the P183, got everything up and running and no issues so far. Still have a lot of software to install and configure, a couple of hours at least. The M4 is quite snappy, but does anyone know why there is a "loading operating system" message between the POST/drive detection, and Windows loading? It's the slowest part of the boot up, and annoying as hell.

Pics

s5000586.jpg

Have to say, these are some solid parts in this build. Very happy with undervolting the CPU to 1.175v and overclocking to 4.0ghz. The temps are outstanding, everything idles in the low 30s, the cores load at less than 60c fully stressed, and the GPU around 75c. I haven't seen temps this low since the Slot-A/ Slot-1 days.

The only problem I have had is with the wonky Creative X-Fi drivers disappearing randomly on boot up. Yanked the PoS and went with on-baord, no problems so far. Just can't figure out Creative and their crappy drivers anymore. So long X-fi Titanium, hello Realtek.

Yeah thats one of the reasons why I stopped recommending Creative products anymore.

Your board is similar to the build i was going to get and was intending to use the onboard sound how is the sound quality from the onboard? So you undervolted your i5 2500k and still got to 4ghz? Amazing! Cant wait to get mine all setup

Your board is similar to the build i was going to get and was intending to use the onboard sound how is the sound quality from the onboard? So you undervolted your i5 2500k and still got to 4ghz? Amazing! Cant wait to get mine all setup

The sound seems just as good so far, as far as movies and music goes. I have not played many games since, so I can't speak for positional under games yet.

Back