Finally trying out custom WC.

blade52x

2[H]4U
Today while sitting here at my lab computer, I must have had the Jab-tech page for the D5 RX360 cooling kit loaded for 2 hours. At some point while I was analyzing experimental data, my finger slipped and my credit card available limit all of a sudden went down by $300. :(

The reason I did was because I've always wanted to try out custom water-cooling. Water cooling is about the only thing left for me to try out in this money pit mental illness that I like to call a hobby. The closed loop coolers were great, but they have left me with a little something to be desired. I went with the D5 RX360 because I read the pump in that kit is good, and kit itself is easily expandable (should I ever decide to custom WC my GPU in the future). And the cooler months are coming so I should be in for some nice overclocks! :D

So yeah, I should be busy this weekend assembling and trying to figure this out. Oh, and my available credit card balance took a further hit today after I ordered a NZXT 810 case (since my Corsair 500R case cannot fit a triple rad). Going to have to ramp up my VM server to max to help pay some of this off. :(

Post pictures and let us know how it goes. I keep on wanting to do this but I don't have the balls.

Grow them cajones. ;)

Be warned that watering computers is kinda addictive.

^^^THIS! I know it's easier to just go air now, but I enjoy a whisper quiet rig and knowing I put it all together myself. It's system building taken to the next level. Enjoy!

:D

^^^THIS! I know it's easier to just go air now, but I enjoy a whisper quiet rig and knowing I put it all together myself. It's system building taken to the next level. Enjoy!

i used to run my rig at complete silence until my HX1000 (bleh) started ticking (I'm running it "upside down" for aesthetics and the fan ticks unless it put it with the fan facing down again), so I said fuck it

Cranked up all my fans lol

When bitcoin mining, holy fuck does it put out a shitload of heat! haha

Both GPU's stay at around 51'C but the amount of heat coming out of the top of my rig is ridiculous, the face of the reservoir is very hot to touch after a few hours

i used to run my rig at complete silence until my HX1000 (bleh) started ticking (I'm running it "upside down" for aesthetics and the fan ticks unless it put it with the fan facing down again), so I said fuck it

Cranked up all my fans lol

When bitcoin mining, holy fuck does it put out a shitload of heat! haha

Both GPU's stay at around 51'C but the amount of heat coming out of the top of my rig is ridiculous, the face of the reservoir is very hot to touch after a few hours

yeah I built my rig so that the WC needs to be removed completely to clean the system. it's been holding strong for almost 4 years without any cleaning. Idle temps are finally rising now so I've gotta do an overhaul.

A note to the OP just remember that you DO have to disassemble your W/C rig once in a while and if you don't want to do allot of fluid changes, consider dropping some silver in the loop (I used .999 silver wire) to reduce the chance of algae growth.

Good luck and if your rig ends up looking badass share pics in the pics thread.

I got the case in yesterday, and wow is full tower large or what?! It was the same feeling I got when I got the case for my first custom built computer. Back then I was used to those smaller prebuilds, and an Ultra Aluminus looked and felt massive. This NZXT 810 brought back that same exact feeling. My WCing stuff is out for delivery now, but I'll probably be too tired to do anything later.

This week needs to end already! :D

I got the case in yesterday, and wow is full tower large or what?! It was the same feeling I got when I got the case for my first custom built computer. Back then I was used to those smaller prebuilds, and an Ultra Aluminus looked and felt massive. This NZXT 810 brought back that same exact feeling. My WCing stuff is out for delivery now, but I'll probably be too tired to do anything later.

This week needs to end already! :D

Hey OP, that's awesome! I'm doing the same thing as you (as I'm sure many others are, i.e. Switch 810 + D5 RX360 kit), except I got my case first. My initial impressions were exactly the same; thought it was HUGE. But the extra space is really nice to work inside, and now that I'm used to it on my desk, it just seems like the right size.

Please do share your experience when you get a chance!

Bleeding + 24 hour leak test has commenced. :D

I wish there was a way to get the res to be the highest point in the loop for this process, but it isn't possible to insert the res from the inside, so I couldn't do that. But I read that isn't a problem, it was just something that would have made bleeding a little bit quicker. I am now running the pump at maximum speed, occasionally switching it on/off to help get those bubbles out. :)

The motherboard was placed into the case to help me estimate how long to cut the tubes. Also, I'm doing a top down push through the radiator, which is why you see no fans attached to it. I've read that gives you slightly better temperatures since it's pulling air directly from the ambient, and even though it seems really awkward for me to this type of air flow configuration, I'm giving it a shot.
zspym0.jpg

Done! Wow, what a project that was! Setting up the loop was the easy part. Getting all the parts in and making it look nice - my back kind of hurts right now!

I've only booted into the bios so far, but everything seems ok. Hopefully I seated the block well so I can begin the real fun! Oh, and the next GPU I get will have a real block. ;)

16ab09k.png

Final update for those interested : I've tested 4.8ghz 20-pass IBT stable at 1.376-1.384v load, and my temperature peaks were 68-73-73-67C. The ambient air is still to warm for me to attempt, and stress 5ghz stable.

Looks nice in the dark. :D
2unx102.jpg

Last edited:
Back