Finally started it.

Nuzzles

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay, so I downloaded the console client, followed the guide on the hardfolding webpage and i've got it running.

Two questions:

Can I minimize it to the taskbar (with all the other icons)?

And how long does it generally take to do a step? It's been running for about 40 minutes and hasn't completed a single step. CPU usage set to 50% in the config.

And it would be nice if you could just tell me some stuff that could generally help me with the process. ^_^

1) set it to use 100% in the config. It idles down when you start using the computer, so you should never see any slow down because of it.

2) step times vary from cpu to cpu. what do you have? it also depends on what protein you are folding.

3) google "electron microscope III". It monitors the client, and gives you nice info aobut it (times, points, etc..)

4) did you set it up to run as a service? if so, id just close the dos window, and either restart your computer or go to services and start it. that way the windows goes away.

welcome to the [H]orde!!

Welcome to the team. :cool:

You can send it to the system tray using a third party program such as 4t Tray Minimaizer. I have used it for years without issue plus you can minimize lots of things to the tray to clear up some taskbar room.
http://www.4t-niagara.com/tray.html

Frame times depend on your CPU and the work unit you are folding. Some units fold faster than others. As a result, work units have a wide range of points values.

You may want to look into EMIII to monitor your folding, especially once you become addicted and have boxen in every available space in your house doing nothing but folding.
www.em-dc.com

You will show up on stats pages once you complete your first work unit. It may take a few hours depending on when it was completed vs. the stats update times. After you show up at hardfolding.com you can start using your forum badge. You can test the badge in this thread: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=926458 .

Good luck!

mmm.... fresh meat

Welcome to the team. Watch your step for moose droppings and don't mind the (s)he running around called Mar(t)y

While you're here you might want to:

Go sign in at www.hardfolding.com our offical home
Click on over and get you one of the nifty badge that all the cool kids have
Add your b0xen to the "D" to 1000 Boxen and Borging Mayhem! thread
Check the Sticky for all the info you need

and stay kick back and have some fun

copyright duster 2005

Welcome to the [H]orde!

Feel free to ask any questions you may have... we're all here to help...... and to make fun of mary..... feel free to join in! ;)

Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

And make sure you're folding for team 33 and using pageian as the username.
Stop by the barn and say hi to our pet Moose, just don't turn your back on him. ;)

pageian said:
And make sure you're folding for team 33 and using pageian as the username.
Stop by the barn and say hi to our pet Moose, just don't turn your back on him. ;)

I would say it is more of a circus tent. Like freak show kind of thing

Nuzzles said:
Can I minimize it to the taskbar (with all the other icons)?

You can as the others have suggested, or if you'd like, you can change it to a service install so you don't have to worry about it at all, it's a set and forget type thing! (Ronco eat your heart out!) I believe step 3 in the console setup, you can install it that way, and start the service or reboot and it just runs without any need for you to worry about it. EM3 is immensely useful in that situation as you can monitor it, along with figuring points per day, and a variety of other functionality.

Welcome to the team!

Holy cow... DC moves damn fast. O_O

Thanks for the links and whatnot.

Is the log on the same as my forum log on, or do I need to register?

Pageian: Good thing I know *that* much. ;) :p

And, thanks very much for the warm welcome all. ^_^

Just register up at hardfolding.com, most of us use the same names, or if you want something different, you can do that too. :D

Duster said:
booo p[H] was faster

Not nearly as fast as marty and Moosey were in the other thread! ;)

Nuzzles said:
Holy cow... DC moves damn fast. O_O

Thanks for the links and whatnot.

Pageian: Good thing I know *that* much. ;) :p

And, thanks very much for the warm welcome all. ^_^

Damn, so close. :(

So closing the console doesn't shut down the program, eh? I always get paranoid about that sort of thing... >.<

I'll have to set it up on my mums computer, and bring her old one in here... >.>

Her PC has a dual-boot of linux and XP. So I'd have to download both the linux and xp clients obviously, but there wouldn't be any issues with that, would there? (both OS's are installed on the same HDD, btw)

Oh, and also, my CPU is a 2500XP at 360 FSB (it's summer over here so it didn't like the heat running at 400. :()

Edit: On a side note, I knew I'd kick myself for not picking up this 50 (guesstimate...it had a few can't remember the exact amount though) port network hub for $20.... Limited to a 4 port hub at the moment. :(

Nuzzles said:
If you want all the personalized stuff on hardfolding.com, you'll have to register there. You don't have to specifically register a username with the F@H program at stanford--they just take whatever you put as the username and credit all WUs turned in by that computer to that username.

Nuzzles said:
So closing the console doesn't shut down the program, eh? I always get paranoid about that sort of thing... >.<

I'll have to set it up on my mums computer, and bring her old one in here... >.>

Her PC has a dual-boot of linux and XP. So I'd have to download both the linux and xp clients obviously, but there wouldn't be any issues with that, would there? (both OS's are installed on the same HDD, btw)

Oh, and also, my CPU is a 2500XP at 360 FSB (it's summer over here so it didn't like the heat running at 400. :()

well kind of depends on how it is set up... they can fold diff wu's for sure not 100% sure about folding the same one

and it will run with out having the window open if you have it set up to run as a service. It will start when you restart windows.

Oh, and I keep forgetting to mention this, but I am running it as a service... For some reason that kept slipping my mind. : (

Yeah since your running it as a service just reboot, and open task manager and you'll see it running.

Welcome to the team. :)

I run mine as a service, and whenever I want to play a game, I pause it, if not, I get major lag times

Back