• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Finally played Crysis..

GOD'SlittleSERVANT

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 18, 2001
Messages
7,269
What's the big deal about this game? Is it the graphics? I played the demo and didn't enjoy it at all. Is it seriously the graphics that make this game so "top notch"?
 
Graphics would be part of the package. What exactly did you not like about it?

I loved it, but I wouldn't say its the best game I have ever played.
 
I'll say it again, Find a custom config like this one to enjoy crysis at its full beauty with higher fps.
 
hm, from what I read the AI was good. It didn't seem too good to me.

Its as good as most any other FPS shooter out there. Maybe it was just me but I didn't see the AI getting stuck on walls or ignoring their buddy getting shot next to them.
 
With the system in your sig, you would not be able to enjoy the game for what it is. Time for an upgrade.

I hardly can as well.
 
Crysis's graphics would be a main perk, though after playing the game and finishing it, I was a bit disappointed to find out how short it was.

About the game being realistic, perhaps what you heard was actually meaning the graphics? I mean, this game was made from the same creators of FarCry, and that game was awesome, but not realistic. The graphics for its time looked realistic ^^.
 
You mentioned the demo. I didn't particularly like the demo either. It was too straight forward. Drive to the next group of enemies and gun em down. Repeat a couple of times until HOLY CRAP FROZEN SHIP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ISLAND.

But I ended up buying the full game and it is A LOT better than the demo. Especially the mission where you are flown into a warzone with a bunch of friendlies. That was intense! :D

Currently on the ship in that very same mission. Game crashed for me there so I stopped playing. :p

Side note: Anyone else get a HUUUUUGGGE frame rate drop during the frozen parts? Ex: The ship in the demo, and the part where you are spying on that dude talking to the other dude on the big screen, about how the alien thing is still alive. My frame rate literally goes from 30ish during normal play to about 5 during the frozen parts. It's unbearable.
 
You mentioned the demo. I didn't particularly like the demo either. It was too straight forward. Drive to the next group of enemies and gun em down. Repeat a couple of times until HOLY CRAP FROZEN SHIP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ISLAND.

But I ended up buying the full game and it is A LOT better than the demo. Especially the mission where you are flown into a warzone with a bunch of friendlies. That was intense! :D

Currently on the ship in that very same mission. Game crashed for me there so I stopped playing. :p

Side note: Anyone else get a HUUUUUGGGE frame rate drop during the frozen parts? Ex: The ship in the demo, and the part where you are spying on that dude talking to the other dude on the big screen, about how the alien thing is still alive. My frame rate literally goes from 30ish during normal play to about 5 during the frozen parts. It's unbearable.

Ironically yes, my frames did drop in those 2 parts but on the Ice level it was the same as normal. I had more frame drops in the Conn tower on the carrier.
 
AI was mediocre. Am I the only one that noticed you can shoot the ground around them with a silenced weapon and it'll completely throw them off? They'll just stare at the spot on the ground as if they thought were you going to ninja shoot up from the dirt. Heck, even when you hit them they still have no clue where the shots are coming from.

I thought the SP was too linear. The first half was great, I thought the alien parts were interesting, then it puts you on rails for the rest of the game. Didn't live up to the open-endedness that was FarCry. I still have fun with a lot of the user made content though.
 
AI was mediocre. Am I the only one that noticed you can shoot the ground around them with a silenced weapon and it'll completely throw them off? They'll just stare at the spot on the ground as if they thought were you going to ninja shoot up from the dirt. Heck, even when you hit them they still have no clue where the shots are coming from.

I thought the SP was too linear. The first half was great, I thought the alien parts were interesting, then it puts you on rails for the rest of the game. Didn't live up to the open-endedness that was FarCry. I still have fun with a lot of the user made content though.

Why would they know where the shots are coming from when you're silenced? The AI in my experience looks for cover if I miss.
 
Why would they know where the shots are coming from when you're silenced? The AI in my experience looks for cover if I miss.

Right, but when you're wearing a armored vest and get shot in the chest, then another shot wizzes by your head and hits the wall/floor/tree behind you, you're not going to turn around and investigate the wall/floor/tree. The AI seems to have a very limited short term memory. :D

They make the most illogical choices when investigating an silent attack. You're right though, I always see them run for cover. But they should be able to deduct "I got shot in the chest, therefore the shot originated from in front of me. The bullet hits behind me are missed shots from the attacker that is in front of me." I could probably get the AI to follow my shots like bread crumbs.
 
They make the most illogical choices when investigating an silent attack. You're right though, I always see them run for cover. But they should be able to deduct "I got shot in the chest, therefore the shot originated from in front of me. The bullet hits behind me are missed shots from the attacker that is in front of me." I could probably get the AI to follow my shots like bread crumbs.

This AI manipulation made my traps alot easier. I would set up a couple of c4's on/around a vehicle and shoot my pistol from said position unsilenced and then cloak/run away. When all of the KPA are huddled around the truck, kaboom lol.
 
...unless you have like one of the five games that actually use it :) like GRAW2

Crysis. IMO one of the best parts was the alien spaceship...wo0t! Now that was fun and looked the best as far as the eye candy. Strange thing is, my fps didn't seem to take a hit!

Grabbing and punching out an alien in zero-grav ftw!
 
Actually if you played FC to the end you will see many similarities between Crysis. FC starts as a open game but becomes a linear shooter in the last few chapters.
 
AI was mediocre. Am I the only one that noticed you can shoot the ground around them with a silenced weapon and it'll completely throw them off? They'll just stare at the spot on the ground as if they thought were you going to ninja shoot up from the dirt. Heck, even when you hit them they still have no clue where the shots are coming from.
Haha, I noticed that. I also loved how you'd put a headshot through someone in a crowd and they'd all freak out for a few seconds then start walking around like nothing happened. Just step over the dead body fellas, danger's gone, lol.
 
What's the big deal about this game? Is it the graphics? I played the demo and didn't enjoy it at all. Is it seriously the graphics that make this game so "top notch"?

Yeah, pretty much. Apparently it's non-linear, in so much as you can choose to attack a checkpoint from the left, right, or go invisible and avoid it altogether.
 
I'm playing Crysis right now, and I cant shake off the FarCry-with-better-graphics feel... enemies are still retarded, vehicle control sucks, and well, the game is unplayable on anything but medium/high, even with custom configs.

It deserves an 8, not 9.5 some sites gave it. Its nothing revolutionary, but an exercise in graphical masturbation, except that they're using a better quality condom over the same old penis. I'm already bored of it, and I'm just at the Awakening part.

Oh and lets not forget enemies/vehicles spawning right in front of you when you pass the trigger. The game is linear as fuck. You walk past certain point, and then you see the enemies literally appear out of nowhere couple of meters from you. I'm making a video of these random spawn moments for youtube just to show how much Crysis sucks. Open-ended? My balls are open-ended, and just as linear too. You can't go around the enemy base in most places, because there are either mines or impregnable walls around it.
 
And then there was this part where you face off 5 other dudes with the same Power Suits as you, and they never explain where, how, when and why they showed up. Oh and the firefight took place at a graveyard.

Its like someone at crytek said, hey, wouldn't it be cool to face-off 5 other dudes in Power Suits at night at a graveyard? Let's just randomly stick a 15th century gothic graveyard in the middle of godforsaken jungle and throw in some cloaking dudes that use technology that no one else supposed to have but you. Right.

Oh and then there are aliens. Which make all your super-duper suit powers obsolete.

Speaking of suit-powers, they all suck. They don't even last a second. Super-speed? sucks because you cant run for a second in the jungle without hitting a tree or a log or a rock. Useless. Cloak? Well, its prolly the least useless, except you have to stand still for it to last more than 15 secs. Oh and you cant shoot while cloaked. Lame. Armor? Bah. Super Strength? hahaha by the time you sneak up on your guy to grab him, he'll prolly alert half the base. And also all you can do is throw him which wont even kill him. Gay.

And whatsup with not being able to mount a silencer on a goddamn sniper rifle. Sure, you can mount a goddamn silencer, grenade launcher, sniper scope, bayonet, teddy bear, LCD screen and a pair of wheels on an AK, but you cant put a silencer on goddamn sniper rifle? weak.
 
"And whatsup with not being able to mount a silencer of goddamn sniper rifle. Sure, you can mount a goddamn silencer, grenade launcher, sniper scope, bayonet, teddy bear, LCD screen and a pair of wheels on an AK, but you cant put a silencer on goddamn sniper rifle? weak."

LOL
 
And then there was this part where you face off 5 other dudes with the same Power Suits as you, and they never explain where, how, when and why they showed up. Oh and the firefight took place at a graveyard.

Its like someone at crytek said, hey, wouldn't it be cool to face-off 5 other dudes in Power Suits at night at a graveyard? Let's just randomly stick a 15th century gothic graveyard in the middle of godforsaken jungle and throw in some cloaking dudes that use technology that no one else supposed to have but you. Right.

Oh and then there are aliens. Which make all your super-duper suit powers obsolete.

Speaking of suit-powers, they all suck. They don't even last a second. Super-speed? sucks because you cant run for a second in the jungle without hitting a tree or a log or a rock. Useless. Cloak? Well, its prolly the least useless, except you have to stand still for it to last more than 15 secs. Oh and you cant shoot while cloaked. Lame. Armor? Bah. Super Strength? hahaha by the time you sneak up on your guy to grab him, he'll prolly alert half the base. And also all you can do is throw him which wont even kill him. Gay.

And whatsup with not being able to mount a silencer of goddamn sniper rifle. Sure, you can mount a goddamn silencer, grenade launcher, sniper scope, bayonet, teddy bear, LCD screen and a pair of wheels on an AK, but you cant put a silencer on goddamn sniper rifle? weak.

I am sorry your experience sucked so much. Mine was great. I don't know why everyone is suprised about the aliens, they were in the previews. You're also surprised the Koreans had a cheap knockoff of our tech? I thought it was funny.

AKs shoot subsonic rounds. The sniper rifle probably shoots supersonic rounds. Attempting to silence a super sonic round is not only pointless but lessens the lethality. I am glad its not an option.
 
I am sorry your experience sucked so much. Mine was great. I don't know why everyone is suprised about the aliens, they were in the previews. You're also surprised the Koreans had a cheap knockoff of our tech? I thought it was funny.

AKs shoot subsonic rounds. The sniper rifle probably shoots supersonic rounds. Attempting to silence a super sonic round is not only pointless but lessens the lethality. I am glad its not an option.

Yes, really, because this game is striving for accuracy in terms of weapons depiction. Super-powered suit? 'Nuff said.

All the weapons are fake in the game, I'd think in the future they'd have silenced sniper rifles. Oh wait, they have a gauss rifle, but they dont have an absolutely silent sniper rifle. Give me a break. Stop making up excuses for this game's sloppyness. I wasn't suprised about aliens, but I was suprised how much they sucked ass. Almost as bad as mutated monkey cyborgs with rockets in Far Cry.
 
Yes, really, because this game is striving for accuracy in terms of weapons depiction. Super-powered suit? 'Nuff said.

All the weapons are fake in the game, I'd think in the future they'd have silenced sniper rifles. Oh wait, they have a gauss rifle, but they dont have an absolutely silent sniper rifle. Give me a break. Stop making up excuses for this game's sloppyness. I wasn't suprised about aliens, but I was suprised how much they sucked ass. Almost as bad as mutated monkey cyborgs with rockets in Far Cry.

You're right. They should have ditched the ironsights as well.
 
I'm playing Crysis right now, and I cant shake off the FarCry-with-better-graphics feel... enemies are still retarded, vehicle control sucks, and well, the game is unplayable on anything but medium/high, even with custom configs.

It deserves an 8, not 9.5 some sites gave it. Its nothing revolutionary, but an exercise in graphical masturbation, except that they're using a better quality condom over the same old penis. I'm already bored of it, and I'm just at the Awakening part.

Oh and lets not forget enemies/vehicles spawning right in front of you when you pass the trigger. The game is linear as fuck. You walk past certain point, and then you see the enemies literally appear out of nowhere couple of meters from you. I'm making a video of these random spawn moments for youtube just to show how much Crysis sucks. Open-ended? My balls are open-ended, and just as linear too. You can't go around the enemy base in most places, because there are either mines or impregnable walls around it.

hahahaha
 
ok, i finished the demo. I will have to say I like it a lot better then the first time I played it. Might "pick up" the game soon.
 
I'm playing the demo. I loved Far Cry to bits, and played through it several times. It was just plain fun.

Crysis sucks. It's very much the definition of methodical and unfun. The enemies have preternatural senses (until you kill one of them, then they seem to calm down because hey, people drop dead all the time), your super suit is retarded (especially the useless cloak), and your weapons have as much stopping power as a BB gun. The game seems fragmented and I'm never quite sure what I'm supposed to be doing except following the seemingly random prompts.

Graphics? Nice, but I don't have a GeForce 10k series card yet so I can crank it up to high at 1920x1080. I was really wondering why CryTek went and made another entire engine for Far Cry 2, and now I know.

The only thing I can say about Crysis (from the demo) is that at least it's sort of like Far Cry. I'll probably buy it when it hits the bargain bin, but for now it's not really on my "must have" list.
 
Back
Top