Finally! Meet LENORE: Kentsfield DFI P965-s QUAD CORE XEON OC'd Rig---->

Forza1

Weaksauce
Finally got everything pieced together and overclocked to my original goal going into this adventure. Parts list:

Meet my new computer: LENORE

Antec P180B
Corsair HX620W
DFI Infinity P965-s motherboard
Intel XEON quad core x3210 2.13Ghz processor
G.Skill 2GBHZ PC-8000
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme with Silenx Ixtrema Pro 120mm fan(rated 18db @ 90cfm!!)
2 150gb Raptor X's in RAID-0
1 Seagate 750GB SATA
eVGA 8800GTX

The Goal:
I wanted a quiet(so I have to look to see if it's still running) system that performs well at everything, and is reliable. Sounds simple. Well, I decided early on that I wanted to run 400mhz fsb and 8x multiplier for 3.2Ghz. I couldn't make up my mind on the processor though. I wanted a quadcore, but the multipliers were high, and the prices were Super HIGH($900 for the qx6700). So I started looking at the e6400 and e6420's. Before I pulled the trigger on one, I read an interesting article about a xeon socket 775 processor I had never heard of before. Enter the Kentsfield Xeon x3210 quad core processor. Rated at 2.13Ghz (266mhz x 8), this processor had the multiplier that I needed for my goal, AND it only cost $409!! after the price cuts on April 22nd. Needless to say, I was probably the first person to order one once the price drops hit.

OK, first off It was hard doing research on some stuff because quad cores aren't so popular yet. It was even harder because almost nobody is running Kentsfield Xeons either. Anyways...

The Case:
Before the Antec P180 I used a Coolermaster Wavemaster aluminum case. I decided to upgrade the case because you can't mount 120mm fans in the wavemaster without extreme mods. The Antec comes with three 3-speed 120's and has room for another so it was a pleasant upgrade. I did however feel like the Antec was of lesser quality than the precision cut rolled edges of the aluminum in the Coolermaster. HOWEVER, the Antec is VERY solid(about 35lbs of solid!!), and is much quieter. The steel on the antec doesn't feel like steel, but more like some sort of sound deadening material when you knock on it. It also has little rubber things to insulate the sound between the harddrives and the chassis which were innovative. It did take me a LONG time to figure out how to route all of my wires in this thing. I'm just thankful to have gotten a modular power supply.

The Power Supply:
The Corsair HX620W is an awesome power supply. It's everything I read about online(super quiet, no lights, modular, powerful, and reliable). I really don't care for the whole "industrial" looks thing, but hey, it's a power supply, you don't really see it much, and I hate computers with windows.

The Motherboard:
The DFI infinity P965-s "Dark" motherboard was an absolute BITCH to get ahold of. I think they're still sold out all over the country as I write this. I spent about 2 weeks of down time to get ahold of one, but finally procured one(for those still searching, don't lose faith, keep checking, it's an awesome board). Like the xeon processor, there's only a handful of benchmarks and information on these boards right now. But, there are guys hitting 500fsb on them left and right(which is more than I wanted originally). Came packaged pretty nicely, great manual, and the board looks good. I do wish there was a small fan or something on the Northbridge to help keep cool it, but no big deal, it doesn't get that hot anyways.

The RAM:
Since I was only going for 400mhz fsb, I really didn't need anything more than PC-6400 RAM to give me a perfect 1:1. However, I knew that I wanted 2GB of it, and coming from AMD, I know the importance of RAM timings. So I wanted them as tight as can be. I opted for the G'Skill 2GBHZ because of the D9 chips, and PC-8000 so I could run tighter timings than the PC-6400. The PC-8000 is rated at 4-4-4-5 @ 2T and 2.2-2.4 vDIMM I am MORE than impressed with this RAM(I'll get to that later).

Cooling:
I had originally decided on the Tuniq Tower to cool my rig. The night I went to order the Tuniq was ironically sold out nearly everywhere(which is fine because I didn't want to stress my motherboard by strapping a cinderblock onto it). However I had read about a new cooler which was supposed to perform awesome. The Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme with 6 heatpipes. Anandtech has two reviews on this cooler paired with a Scythe S-Flex 1600rpm fan, saying it's the best aircooler ever tested. Well, the Scythe S-Flex was too damn loud for me, and it was rated 28db and 63cfm. So I went fan shopping. I heard lots of good things about the Noctua fans, and I was all set to order one, however I read a little blurb about a new fan company Silenx and their fan had the(and I quote), "worlds best noise-to-airflow ratio"(that's written on the front of their box too). This fan was rated at 18db @ 90cfm!! Half the sound and twice the airflow of the S-Flex. Silenx Ixtrema 120 Pro(IXP-76-18). I have no doubts that I can beat the Andandtech test results with this fan/heatsink combo, and it's extremely quiet.

The Build:
Overall, the build went smoothly. Everything fit together nicely, and didn't really have any troubles. The hardest part was probably routing my cables since I kept changing my mind and rerouting while everything was in the case. Also, the 8800GTX card is HUGE! I had no idea until I opened the package and looked at it, it made me laugh. But, it BARELY fit in the case with my Raptors mounted in the upper cage. less than .5" clearance. Also, if I want to pull the CMOS jumper or battery, I have to remove the video card, it's that big.

The Boot:
The BIOS booted up fine first try. The BIOS defaulted my processor to a 6x multiplier, but I bumped it back to stock, and raised vDIMM to 2.1 and booted. Windows XP Pro install took ~7minutes. All stability tests passed with Orthos, Prime95, memtest86+, etc... at stock settings.

The Tools:
For this I used Orthos, Prime95, memtest86, Smart guardian, Core Temp, and CPU-Z. I launched 4 instances of Prime95, and 2 of Orthos, making sure to set their affinities so that each core gets an instance.

The Overclock;
I went back into BIOS and raised my FSB first to 333mhz, and disabled the CPU throttling features in the BIOS. I also set a 1:1 ratio with the RAM. The BIOS did not boot. Pulled CMOS jumper, etc... Reset settings, then I remembered that I forgot to raise vDIMM to stock specs(2.2-2.4v), so I bumped it to 2.35 to be safe and it booted great. I rebooted, raised vcore +150mV to ~1.4v just to overdo it and be safe. Ran some tests, tried 366mhz FSB, worked fine, then 400fsb x8, and I had to tweak northbridge voltage up a bit, and temps were HOT(~78C under load) but everything was stable at 400 x 8 and 1:1 RAM. So, I started backing the vcore down and down. Temps dropped drastically. I finally settled on vcore 1.34v at 3.2ghz stable. So I started backing my vDIMM down from 2.35, eventually settling on 2.20v. I think I could go lower on that, but I'm not too concerned as this is the lowest rated spec. and I'd like tighter timings. I started tightening up my timings, and eventually reached an impressive(to me) 4-3-3-3 @ 2T 2.225v. Idle CPU temps are ~29C, idle core temps ~38C, under load, CPU temp is ~55C, Core temps ~63C. Very impressive! I must say that vCore is the secret to getting cool temps with a quadcore, my temps would skyrocket with a higher vCore approaching 80C with 1.42v. But, at these clock(3.2ghz), the xeon just didn't need that much.

Overall:
I did a lot of research before building this rig, and about the only thing I would do differently is to buy an extra 120cm fan for the empty bay in the case, and or to replace all of the 120's with the silenx ixtrema's. I am extremely impressed with their performance.

OVERCLOCK SUMMARY:

CPU: 3.2Ghz (400mhz x 8) overclocked 1.34v
RAM: 4-3-3-3 @ 2T 2.225v

idle TEMPS: CPU idle: 29C CORE idle: 38C
load TEMPS: CPU load: 55C CORE load: 63C

AIRCOOLED and damn near silent even with all of the fans on max(which I will run at medium).

EDIT: OK, I got some pictures up and a benchmark. They're not great, but you'll get the gist.

I'm planning to take some pics soon too. The Ultra-120 Extreme with the Ixtrema fan looks pretty cool. I hope this help out anyone considering purchasing either a Quad core, a Kentsfield Xeon, or a DFI P965-s motherboard. Feel free to comment or post questions!

P1020268.jpg

P1020276.jpg

P1020274.jpg

P1020275.jpg

And, the benchmark:

P95at8x400and134V.jpg

Thanks!

Wow, enjoy the new workstation. Is this for gaming or other purposes? If it's gaming, lets see some "real world" benches!

Also, have you removed all the screens and cut out the honeycomb fan covers for better airflow/less noise?

Sounds like a nice workstation! I might have to investigate some of the parts you used before I pull the trigger on my new computer.

All that hype with no pics? They should've been ready when the thread was created. C'mon, now.

Looks interesting. I'll have to look into the quad Xeons instead of the Q6600.

lol, thanks.

Pics to come in a couple days. I'm out of town right now. I didn't take any pics because I still have the case apart with SATA hard drives laying all over it(transferring files from my old rig Penelope), and I don't have my new keyboard/monitor hooked up yet(Enermax Aurora/Westinghouse 37w3). Will get pics.

-D

Nice rig, but isn't the video card in the PCIE slot with only X4 bandwidth?

According to the manual, that is a PCI x16 slot. This board has two of them(I guess for crossfire mode). I had to double check myself as I was putting everything together.

According to the manual, that is a PCI x16 slot. This board has two of them(I guess for crossfire mode). I had to double check myself as I was putting everything together.

No... While it is physically a pcie 16 slot its limited to pcie 4x bandwidth.

Expansion Slots
2 PCI Express x16 slots
- CrossFire mode
: PCIE 2 slot operates at x16 bandwidth.
>>>> : PCIE 4 slot operates at x4 bandwidth. <<<<<
- Single VGA mode
: Supports only one x16 bandwidth on PCIE 2.
2 PCI Express x1 slots
3 PCI slots

where'd you get that xeon? I haven't been able to find any except the 2.4Ghz one which is the same price as the Q6600 (or more expensive).

No... While it is physically a pcie 16 slot its limited to pcie 4x bandwidth.

Expansion Slots
2 PCI Express x16 slots
- CrossFire mode
: PCIE 2 slot operates at x16 bandwidth.
>>>> : PCIE 4 slot operates at x4 bandwidth. <<<<<
- Single VGA mode
: Supports only one x16 bandwidth on PCIE 2.
2 PCI Express x1 slots
3 PCI slots

Thanks for this info. It's hard to find stuff like this about the board right no. I swapped it over to the other port. I haven't tested it out yet though. I forgot to mention, I overclocked the PCI-e bus to 105mhz which should help with some extra frames.

Kirby, I bought the processor from PCNation I think it was $409. I really wanted it for its multiplier.

Nice build! Have you tried any gaming on it? Could you post some benchmarks for us? :)

(or even 3dmark2006 if you don't game on it)

Nice build! Have you tried any gaming on it? Could you post some benchmarks for us? :)

(or even 3dmark2006 if you don't game on it)

Here you go, 3dMark2006 scores:

3DMarksResults.jpg

I really think I could do a lot better on this one if I tweak some of the settings around for more performance. I also read a nice writeup on flashing the BIOS of the GTX with a new one that has a higher shader clock. Of course I don't game that much so that's sort of an overkill. It runs Oblivion just fine with the settings cranked up.

I am just curious, how much is the Q6600 these days ? Wouldn't the Q6600 get the better results for the same price ?

I am just curious, how much is the Q6600 these days ? Wouldn't the Q6600 get the better results for the same price ?

I don't imagine that you're going to go much higher than 3.2ghz on a quadcore with aircooling until G0 stepping processors come out. Even then, a Q6600 on air might not have a good multiplier/FSB ratio.

Cool thing though- my E6420 has the same bus/multi as that Xeon I believe, being 266x8 yielding 2.13. Well, you can always drop the multi a bit with Intel chips nowadays due to speedstep- so, you can run the bus up to 400, which practically any board can do, running DDR2-800 at 1:1, and run at 3.6 (if you're damn lucky and like heat and noise) or more practically 3.2, just lowering the multi to 7. This is what I plan on doing with a Q6600 a little later on, for a partial rebuild to include 2x2gb (waiting for faster timings to drop in price) and loading up Vista64, and maybe SLi with another GTS, depending on what future generations hold (thank ATi for screwing up the performance race, now nVidia doesn't even need to try).

Back