Finally got a Rift

wikidlad

Limp Gawd
So, with the current sale I got myself a Rift and controllers. I was kinda worried about the SDE and the whole comfort thing but after trying it myself I have to say I am really amazed at how good it is.

The first demo with the little robot and the various 3d printer items was great.

So, had to try more games, enjoyed Eve but for some reason I have to stand to get the correct perspective, if I sit its like im below the controls so maybe I didnt set up my rift correctly. But I bought the UltraWings game and the perspective is correct for that and really enjoying it.

Overall I am extremely happy but I do have a couple things that concern me. The gap at the nose can be a distraction but I can live with that. There seem to be God rays every now and then. Also, if not looking directly at an item it seems a little blurred. I have adjusted the width of the lenses but hmm....

If anyone is sitting on the fence I would say go for it, well worth it.

Congrats and welcome!

I believe if you can into the setting to can reset your starting position while sitting to fix your issue of hight in eve. Try going into your settings and hopefully it's in there.

The rift lense I think is designed to focus your vision infront of you which is why things seems slightly blurry on the sides.

So just did some googling and you need to recalibrate while you are standing BUT if you press the select button on your Xbox controller while sitting it will reset your head to make your current position the new neutral sit spot.

Picking up the touch controllers tonight. They were shipped separately when i bought it from best buy online and ontrac lost them :(

Definitely worth it so far. Elite dangerous is soooo much better, and even games like luckys tale were surprisingly fun in vr. Its a great deal at 399 with all the free games you get

The head thing is a constant problem actually. As you said switching from standing to sitting can affect it, but switching from me to my children also causes problems. My poor daughter (4yr) loves the Robot tutorial (First Contact), but if I don't adjust sitting position first she has to reach up to the counter top (which is accurate for her I guess, lol).

I didn't know about the xbone controller shortcut posted above, is that ONLY for Eve Valkyrie or always available? Otherwise just go into Oculus Program > Settings Gear > Devices > Configure Rift > Set Head Position

DOsuAcR.jpg

And to set the lens spacing, go to HMD menu and use this option

JGwhduh.jpg

mH7cvCR.jpg

That robot demo/tutorial blew me away when I set up my Rift. It was an amazing experience that instantly sold me on the Touch controllers and the standing/room-scale VR experience.

was reading through the oculus forums, still waiting for my set to be shipped. they really need to do user profiles for the configuration. i got an 8 and a 4 yr old too, so 3 heights to consider. Wife gets motion sickness easily so i doubt she will use it much.

was reading through the oculus forums, still waiting for my set to be shipped. they really need to do user profiles for the configuration. i got an 8 and a 4 yr old too, so 3 heights to consider. Wife gets motion sickness easily so i doubt she will use it much.

The software is kinda hoaky to begin with....it works and looks nice, but has room for improvement. For instance, once you start a calibration or setup routine there is no way to cancel or go back. You have to terminate the program. I'm sure they will continue to make improvements, especially with the increased user base this sale has created.

Thanks for the help on re calibration. Tried out Robo Recall last night and I just had no idea that VR is this good. Im 47 and been a gamer since the Spectrum 48k days and I have to say that I haven't felt these many "Wow" moments in years. Just standing there looking at the screen in Robo Recall and then looking to the side and seeing all the robots coming to stand next to me....looking em up and down, I swear..I'm a kid again. I want to get Elite, Eagle Flight and the Climb games next and the upcoming VTOL game (Been perusing YouTube at all the upcoming).

Also check eBay, I just bought a EvE Valkyrie key for the oculus home for $15, bought it last night and the seller emailed to me this morning. Activated perfectly fine and is downloading to my oculus library right now

Ragenrok did you get your HMD yet? Where and when did you order? Mine was direct from Oculus on the 17th, still not shipped.
I have it but I'm not allowed to open it till tomorrow (wife is making it my bday present).

I ordered mine from bestbuy.ca the morning of July 14 and had my shipping notice the same afternoon. Rift and touch controllers showed up in the same box the following Wednesday, so 3 business days to arrive.

For now I've installed the home software so I can download games and get ready for it :)

oh right, you were the birthday hold guy lol.
Yeah i installed everything and even bought the adventure summer sale pack for the climb. I have a few on wish list for steam but not on sale so holding till i actually get the rift.
I imagine you would be skipping work and running down the stairs like its Christmas morning, already setup and playing before anyone else gets up. oh wait, that would be me! LOL

oh right, you were the birthday hold guy lol.
Yeah i installed everything and even bought the adventure summer sale pack for the climb. I have a few on wish list for steam but not on sale so holding till i actually get the rift.
I imagine you would be skipping work and running down the stairs like its Christmas morning, already setup and playing before anyone else gets up. oh wait, that would be me! LOL
Haha I'd love to but my wife runs a dayhome so I can't use my basement during the day lol

Tried out the first contact intro and robo recall, dont think i can play games on my monitor anymore....

My wife tried it too, she definitely enjoyed both. She made fun of me because of how excited i was when i heard they were making vr headsets. She might be a believe now and shes not even a gamer lol

Tried out the first contact intro and robo recall, dont think i can play games on my monitor anymore....

My wife tried it too, she definitely enjoyed both. She made fun of me because of how excited i was when i heard they were making vr headsets. She might be a believe now and shes not even a gamer lol

Pretty much sums up my reaction :) I find normal games flat and boring now.

my wife rolls her eyes at my infatuation with VR. I did a few demos last year when traveling to the states and she took a video of me trying it out, with the 4 and 8 yr olds looking on, not allowed to try them lol.

She loves whales. This time of year in St. John's we can see them all over the place from land. We even went on a whale watching tour 4 years ago on a small boat where she got motion sickness lol.

So, the first thing i want to show her is "the blu". She saw me viewing it at the demos, but hopefully she will be a believer when actually using it.

My Family is currently away but I cannot wait to show them what the Rift can do when they are back next week.

So, what is the one thing that you show non believers that you know will "wow" them?.

the dream deck standing on top of the building was something that got me. doubted just a tiny bit that i was on firm ground when thinking about looking over the edge.
also the climb, cant help but get startled when you fall.

Lol...yeah gotta agree with the skyscraper on dreamdeck. I have to get the climb, love the idea of playing it. I hate heights but it will be a thrill to play im sure.

I couldn't get my girlfriend interested until I got Fruit Ninja VR. That helped a lot since she's already familiar with the overall game-play but was hooked by the extra challenge of chopping fruit with "actual" swords.

Back