Final Fantasy VII Remake Will Include Dramatic Changes

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
As a big fan of the original, I was hoping that the Final Fantasy VII remake would mostly be a graphical upgrade that would faithfully recreate the experience of the original and, at most, add a few locales and items here and there. But Director Tetsuya Nomura seems to have much bigger plans.

Dramatic changes, but still recognizable? Well, what could it be? Active Time Battle is probably out, and Nomura hinted that he plans to take hints from...ugh, the 2005 movie, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children.

Wonder if they would do away with pre-rendered background.

I completely enjoyed Advent Children. I thought it was beautiful. English voice acting was stellar, and they did a great job of closing up the story.

It is rare that massive changes to a remake make something better. Often its just a sloppy mess of half executed plots, mixed messages and lost concepts. prepared for this to be a pile of crap.

All they had to do was update the graphics and fix a few bugs and maybe flesh out some of the content...

Sigh.

I agree, they should be making a faithful remake/update to it.

Then go ahead and make FF7-2 or whatever the hell they wanna call if it they want to add tons of new stuff or side plots.

hahaha, called it the second I heard about this

Square doesn't know how to leave a good thing alone. Ever.

Just so long as they don't make it like FF13... good god that game, fight a few fights, cut scene, another few fights, cut scene, another few fights ... yup you guessed it cut scene. And the battle system, what happened to the good old days of attack, defend, spell, item was that really such a bad design that they need to get all this complicated synergistic shit in with fighting.

willing to bet this is going to be a complete fluid game crisis core mixed with 7 mixed with dirge mixed with ac

Just so long as they don't make it like FF13... good god that game, fight a few fights, cut scene, another few fights, cut scene, another few fights ... yup you guessed it cut scene. And the battle system, what happened to the good old days of attack, defend, spell, item was that really such a bad design that they need to get all this complicated synergistic shit in with fighting.

Honestly, I think the biggest problem was that it was too simple in FF13. Really it just boiled down to coaching the characters through a "complex" game of rock paper scissors. Tank, spell dps, physical dps, healer, buffer, debuffer, and you just selected the roles without actually having to make complicated decisions about what to use. The "synergies" was just a silly naming system for the various combinations. It's even worse when you consider that for most of FF13, you didn't even have the ability to select characters for your party and all the fights were balanced around a very specific set of combinations that you'd have available at that time.

There was less to it and more limitations than 10-2's dress system and only having 3 characters playable.

fight a few fights, cut scene, another few fights, cut scene, another few fights ... yup you guessed it cut scene.

Actually that's how FFVII felt to me, for the first few hours anyway...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel Nintendo is one of the few big name publishers than can successfully produce remakes of their classic top selling games and still have them sell quite a lot of said remakes.

I'm also expecting this to be less than stellar. Keeping my expectations low that way I don't get disappointed lol.

I hope its a ton of cutscenes so I can enjoy it mostly as a movie,

If you want to play a FF7 remake with the original story, get the stuff from the Qhimm forum guys. There are modders there that do great work.

Kinda sad they finally listen and decide to butcher it up.

Btw, Advent Children Complete is the one to get. The bluray not only looks better, but it's actually a better movie.

I knew it.....Can't leave well enough alone.

I really hope they don't touch the Materia system although they will probably bastardize that too.

Also, Advent Children sucked.

Never understood people hate for AC.

Then again people will bitch about anything.

I really hope they don't touch the Materia system although they will probably bastardize that too.

If they're not doing an ATB—which, by the way, was stated at E3, so this is old news—then why would they not touch the materia system? It'll probably function the same way, slot materia to equipment to gain abilities, but will be partially rebalanced to work with the new combat system.

In all honesty, the combat system will likely be a refined version of FFXV's, which is a really nice hybrid of real time and traditional combat. This is not a bad thing.

Of course they're going to fuck it up. What the hell.. If I wanted to play FFXV I'd get that.

It's not FFVII it's just going to be a different game with the FFVII storyline modded into it.

After FFX the combat systems on Final Fantasy games have been ass.. So now they have to assify the rest.

Of course they're going to fuck it up. What the hell.. If I wanted to play FFXV I'd get that.

It's not FFVII it's just going to be a different game with the FFVII storyline modded into it.

After FFX the combat systems on Final Fantasy games have been ass.. So now they have to assify the rest.

So, play the Steam version of the original FF7 and enjoy.

If they're not doing an ATB—which, by the way, was stated at E3, so this is old news—then why would they not touch the materia system? It'll probably function the same way, slot materia to equipment to gain abilities, but will be partially rebalanced to work with the new combat system.

In all honesty, the combat system will likely be a refined version of FFXV's, which is a really nice hybrid of real time and traditional combat. This is not a bad thing.

They can make a new game for people that want that. Many people want a remake with updated graphics. Nothing more nothing less. If they change anything about the combat system I will not buy it. If they leave out any of the side stuff I will not get it. How about they give us the game we want and then make another game named ff7-2 or go ahead and make one based off advent children. But don't go fixing what ain't broken. The only thing wrong with ff7 is the outdated graphics. Besides it won't cost hardly anything to just update the graphics. No reason to waste time and money. This is one time when being cheap is the right way to go. Doing anything more than updating graphics and cut scenes is a waste of money.

I agree. I haven't bought anything since 10. My daughter bought 13 and I've watched plenty of videos on everything else and I can't stand any of it. If they follow through with butchering 7 then I will just watch the cut scenes on YouTube like I did with all the other crap they have made. Why even play these boring games when all they are is mini movies that make you do tedious shit in between each scene.

Agreed... The materia system is one of the few things that I like about FF7. If they mess that up, then.... well meh. That said, Materia system is great and all but there are better systems out there.

It's like people don't understand what "remake" means.

Putting such terms aside, I think the point is that no one wants a new FF 7. What people want when it comes to "modernizing" classic games like FF7 or the original RE series, is just a graphical upgrade to bring the experience up to the current visual standards, while preserving it's core gameplay style. No one is asking for a different FF7 with modern real time combat, as we already have plenty of those, and they are still making them with the upcoming FF title as well.

To redo FF7 with a different game system would meant losing the important part that makes FF7 what it was, and why fans loved it. Another downside is that you can't offer an opportunity for the newer fans to experience the original game system which by today's standard is unique because few people are doing such system anymore. Instead they'll just get yet another action JRPG. So it defeats the purpose of redoing the game again.

Putting such terms aside, I think the point is that no one wants a new FF 7.

A new FF7 is exactly what people have been clamoring for when using the word "remake".

No one is asking for a different FF7 with modern real time combat, as we already have plenty of those, and they are still making them with the upcoming FF title as well.

Speak for yourself. I would love that, and I definitely hope a modified version of FFXV's combat system is used as the base, with the ability to swap between characters.

To redo FF7 with a different game system would meant losing the important part that makes FF7 what it was, and why fans loved it.

You're merely presenting your personal preferences as the group's preferences. It's very interesting that you don't allow yourself to consider the possibility that the game could possibly be improved upon. Different is not automatically worse. And if you hate different, the original FF7 is still available on a bunch of different platforms.

Instead they'll just get yet another action JRPG.

"Yet another"? This genre you speak of, the action JRPG, barely exists. Hell, the JRPG in general barely exists anymore. Bravely Default is its last dying gasp. You don't get to complain about a supposed flood of things that don't exist.

I wanted a remake with just improved graphics and bug fixes. Changing the combat system takes this from a day one buy to a wait til its 20 bucks buy.

To quote the The Mighty Boosh, "Elements of the past and the future combining - to make something not quite as good as either".

A new FF7 is exactly what people have been clamoring for when using the word "remake".

no

people want FF7 but with a graphical overhaul. nothing changed re: the battle system or materia or world in general

pretty sure you're in the minority that want FF7 to just be another shitfest like ff13

I wanted a remake with just improved graphics and bug fixes. Changing the combat system takes this from a day one buy to a wait til its 20 bucks buy.

To quote the The Mighty Boosh, "Elements of the past and the future combining - to make something not quite as good as either".

this is what pretty much everybody wants, and I agree

Terpfen, you sound like you're in the vast minority. The original game is still fun as hell, just looks ugly. If you like action RPG then we will get FFXV. Otherwise, we'd love to take a stroll down nostalgia lane in stunning HD, and mess with the mechanics too much and it will no longer provide that. It's easy to imagine the game being great with better graphics. It's VERY difficult imagining it being better with something different. People like the safe bet, it's comfy, just like nostalgia.

You're merely presenting your personal preferences as the group's preferences. It's very interesting that you don't allow yourself to consider the possibility that the game could possibly be improved upon. Different is not automatically worse. And if you hate different, the original FF7 is still available on a bunch of different platforms.

Um, there's only one FF7 at the moment, and it stands to reason anyone who are a fan of FF7 enjoy that one FF7 for what it was. While I do enjoy other system including FF-13, it makes no sense to revisit a particular FF title just to change it's game system. Otherwise, one could just as well do the same for any title and get the same result, because you are taking out the thing that make the game what it was in the first place.

It's fine to want to have a different game system such as the FFXV you mentioned, but that's what new games are for. I'm not against new gameplay mechanics, I'll be getting FF15 myself. But that doesn't mean I want to see all previous FF being turned into a different game with this new mechanic.

I'll never understand some people. You want a remake and they're doing that. They are doing EXACTLY what every good remake does. It modernizes the concepts and brings them into the current age. If you just want the same game; well, you have it available on Steam and PSN. Enjoy.

I, for one, am excited about the changes. I also hope they include the cut out content for Arieth. I personally hated Advent Children's story. So, the less it references to that, the better. But, I know I'm going to lose on that. Oh well. I'm excited for anyway.

less reference to AC? Hahahahaha, if anything, they'll do it even more! They'll probably include some reference to FFX too!

"Yet another"? This genre you speak of, the action JRPG, barely exists. Hell, the JRPG in general barely exists anymore. Bravely Default is its last dying gasp. You don't get to complain about a supposed flood of things that don't exist.

You really don't see the irony of your post, do you?

People wanted FF7 with updated graphics and audio. Most fans did not want a game that ends up playing differently. As it's already been pointed out, there are other FF games with different gameplay.

You're definitely right though, the JRPG genre barely exists these days and people wanted a remake of a game that(even if I still think 6 was superior) was the peak of the genre internationally. Yet sales of JRPGs and their development has dwindled, why? Correlation does not equal causation, but in this case you've got people wanting the classic gameplay, and the genre seems to have stepped away from that gameplay while sales have suffered. It would seem at a glance, that people aren't buying these action JRPGs in the volume they used to, so maybe converting one of the best selling JRPGs of all time to "action" isn't the best idea for sales?

Granted, I could be wrong and action JRPGs are doing amazing for sales inside of Japan. I haven't seen any figures to indicate that one way or the other, and I haven't paid much attention to games only released in Japan since the PS2. But ignoring the international market seems a little shortsighted, no?

Part of the problem for me is that a lot of the good looking JRPGs are made for handhelds instead of actual gaming systems or available for PC.

I've been waiting for them to account a remake of FF6 as well; hopefully the FF7 one goes well and they feel FF6 would be worth their time.

And like most everyone else in this thread says - just a graphical remake/remastering. Not changing it thinking they're gonna make it better.

Back