Final Fantasy games have an annoying quip lately

I agree that some of the random secret quests/items are totally ridiculous to try to figure out on your own. FFXII has some crap that I read about after playing through it, its like huh..?

p.s. - I LOVED Blitzball

12 is easy enough without those weapons if you do the auto level up with the gambits really early on. Once your characters are at level 75+ they are completely unstopable.

Ah yes, the old Sierra King's Quest series. I both loved it and hated it. Completely. I remember the old game guides that used a special pen to highlight the answer in order to read it.

12 is easy enough without those weapons if you do the auto level up with the gambits really early on. Once your characters are at level 75+ they are completely unstopable.

Actually the "speed guide" for FFXII pretty much shows exactly what you stated. The key to making FXII sorta amusing is to grind a few key areas with the auto technique then spend the rest of the time to obliterating everything in your path :)

One of the worst instances of this was Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. There are a few items where the only way you can get them is by setting up the zones in the game in 1 specific pattern, and there is nothing at all to tell you how to get them, or which zone combinations make which type of items.

One of the worst instances of this was Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. There are a few items where the only way you can get them is by setting up the zones in the game in 1 specific pattern, and there is nothing at all to tell you how to get them, or which zone combinations make which type of items.

I remembered getting cloud in final fantasy tactics involved no less than like 7 steps, completely randomly dropping an item in a volcano on some random map, it was totally ridiculous. I am actually doing ok in ff12 getting a lot of the stuff with no guide, I do enjoy the hunts but I definately get tempted to just look up where they are but I lose interest quickly when I start using a guide, whats the point.

I do enjoy the hunts but I definately get tempted to just look up where they are but I lose interest quickly when I start using a guide, whats the point.

Oh...you will love the hunt where you need to be in a very specific spot in a cave and NOT move for over a minute. Then when you move, the mob spawns. I'm sorry...but rogue galaxy did a far better job with the hunts than FFXII did.

I remembered getting cloud in final fantasy tactics involved no less than like 7 steps, completely randomly dropping an item in a volcano on some random map, it was totally ridiculous. I am actually doing ok in ff12 getting a lot of the stuff with no guide, I do enjoy the hunts but I definately get tempted to just look up where they are but I lose interest quickly when I start using a guide, whats the point.

Yup, on top of that, he's almost useless when you finally get him. He's at level 1 when the rest of your crew (and the enemies) are virtually maxed out. Even getting him to double digits is a feat in itself. Add in his slow charging moves and you have one of the most pointless wild goose chases in RPG history. Supposedly he's passable if you can level him up enough (and get some skills to speed him up) but you get him so late in the game that there's no reason to bother.

I prefer the games that have hidden things, but they're not too crazy or reliant on guides/online. God of War's a great example. It's not an RPG, but it's a good example of how to have secrets that aren't reliant on a guide.

haha kings quest, I tried playing one of those games once and it was impossible to figure out what to do, I remember one part you had to literally serach for a needle in a haystack, I hate those kq games!!!

yes, thats why i never liked them...
police quest was kind of the same, but a bit more sane.

Hero quest (quest for glory) was better
space quest was plain fun!

playing Space Quest 1 old text versus the mouse remake made it worlds apart.

+1 for xenogears... as for Xenosaga series.. well, I'm disappointed after playing the first one. I heard the 2nd one was good though, don't know about the 3rd.

1 was alright, 2 was a chore, and so far (only like an hour in) 3 is amazing. If only they had made 1 and 2 like 3. I've spent most of my time just reading the tons and tons of backstory text in the database trying to understand just what the hell is going on. I don't feel I could enjoy 3 without playing 1 and 2 but i also cant recommend playing them either lol.

Yeah, if you want to get everything done in these games you need to buy the guide or follow a GameFAQ very very closely. Definitely a scam to make more money, but what choice do we have?

Oh...you will love the hunt where you need to be in a very specific spot in a cave and NOT move for over a minute. Then when you move, the mob spawns. I'm sorry...but rogue galaxy did a far better job with the hunts than FFXII did.

That isnt that giant snake where they told you to wait for a while? Cuz they explained that but if it is a different one where you have to literally sit still that is really lame.

Yup, on top of that, he's almost useless when you finally get him. He's at level 1 when the rest of your crew (and the enemies) are virtually maxed out. Even getting him to double digits is a feat in itself. Add in his slow charging moves and you have one of the most pointless wild goose chases in RPG history. Supposedly he's passable if you can level him up enough (and get some skills to speed him up) but you get him so late in the game that there's no reason to bother.

I prefer the games that have hidden things, but they're not too crazy or reliant on guides/online. God of War's a great example. It's not an RPG, but it's a good example of how to have secrets that aren't reliant on a guide.

Back when I was 14 or 15, I was really into the whole FF scene and I actually leveled him up, and you're right, he wasn't that good, certainly no Orlandu or Beowulf. I had totally forgotten about some of these weird chases, and this trend certainly isn't new. I'm surprised Lost Odyssey didn't have something as crazy as this.

I loved Tales of Symphonia...

But if I remember, Skies of Arcadia was bad about this. As well as Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger.

e_t

I don't remember Skies of Arcadia having ones with no reference at all in the game... they were mentioned, but unless you were paying attention you would miss them. It wasn't to the point of complete randomness like this thread's examples, though... awesome game :D.

Back