Final Fanatsy question

Noobkiller

Weaksauce
I want to know " Why Final Fantasy 7 is considered to be the greatest final fanatsy ever? also why people consider Cloud awsome and speroith an evil bad ass?

The storyline was great. The gameplay was great. At the time the graphics were unheard of and threw a whole new twist on the FF series. I dunno, did you actually play the game all the way through?

Edit: I enjoyed Final Fantasy X just as much as 7, but I think it is just the fact that it was so new and exciting when 7 came out. It's a classic. And to add on that, I don't think that many people enjoyed 8 and 9 as much as they did 7. It was an amazing release followed by 2 lesser games.

If you didn't play the game when it was released you will probably never understand....

For most people, FFVII was the first time they played a RPG or at least played a decent RPG. I remember in school, virtually nobody had played or really knew anything about FF3, but everyone knew about FFVII. Most people always have very fond memories of their first decent title in a genre, even if the game isn't really THAT good. I had been playing RPGs and the FF series well before FFVII came out so while I considered FFVII to be pretty good, it was far from being that amazing.

I agree with dotK's points.

It sold unusually well in the United States (over 3 million shipped vs. under 1 million for FFIII/FFVI). Most people who owned FFVII hadn't owned any of the predecessors, so they had nothing to compare it to.

Square/Sony advertised FFVII like nothing before. During the month of its launch, you saw it everywhere.

As the first CD-based FF game, it used CG movies where none had in the past. It used CG animation in a way that games hadn't in the past.

It shipped in 1997, the first time when a reasonable percentage of people had internet access (internet use in 1994, when FFVI shipped, was far lower). No prior FF game could have supported a fan community in the U.S. due to geographic distribution and lack of internet use.

CodeX said:
If you didn't play the game when it was released you will probably never understand....

QFT.

But FF2 and FF3 were all almost on par with FF7 for me. FF8 blah, FF9 meh, FF10 PUUUKKEEE! FF10.5 weary, FF11 eh, Now I don't care about any games in the FF series, except for the ones that will be on the DS and Wii.

I don't think that there will be any more FF games that will reach the magnitude of 2 and 3. While FFVII certainly was a great game, I personally found FFX to be more enjoyable. Perhaps it was because the game was more refined than VII, I don't know. VII never really did it for me, even at the peak of it's hype at the time of release.

I played through FF VII twice in a row when it came out. The story was involving, the characters seemed to have a lot of, well, character, and I loved the combat/weapon upgrade system (which, by the way, is also why I liked Cloud and his ridiculous sword). The fact that I could spend hours running around and beating up super-bad guys after breeding cool chocobos was fantastic. That game was what brought me back to console gaming after a very long, almost exclusive, PC addiction. I liked FF VIII okay, couldn't get into IX and played X to death (my PS2 died on me soon after starting X-2 and I still haven't replaced it).

I will say that I couldn't play FFVII in its original form again and get the same enjoyment out of it. For better or worse, the graphics quality turns me off. It's the same thing with sprite-based games pre-SNES. I'm not quite a "graphics whore" in the sense that I've got to be on the cutting edge (in fact, I never am), but the change in 3D quality from PS1 to PS2/Xbox/GC was just huge, much like the change in graphics quality of sprite-based games from NES to SNES was huge. Hopefully, FF VII will get a technological overhaul at some point and I'll be able to play it again. I wouldn't be surprised if I put another 200 hours into the thing if Square Enix makes that happen.

Story, CG, Music, Writing/Dialoge, 60 (give or take) hours gameplay, prerendered CG backgrounds.
In 1997 we called this "innovation".

I think the music made the game more popular too. Noone talks about the other soundtracks, but everyone knows "One Winged Angel". Have you watched Advent Children? Fan service like a mofo. Funny thing is you wouldnt understand anything unless you have beat FF7. I.E. they made the movie for the gamers.

If FF6 is so good, wheres FF6 CG movie? Oh thats right, noone played RPG's until FF7 came out.
It doesnt matter if you like another game, FF7 brought RPG to the masses. Everyone was playing their N64 prior to FF7 release. FF7 showed the capabilitys of the PSX hardware, and the rest is history.

LeviathanZERO said:
Story, CG, Music, Writing/Dialoge, 60 (give or take) hours gameplay, prerendered CG backgrounds.

I think the music made the game more popular too. Noone talks about the other soundtracks, but everyone knows "One Winged Angel". Have you watched Advent Children? Fan service like a mofo. Funny thing is you wouldnt understand anything unless you have beat FF7. I.E. they made the movie for the gamers.

If FF6 is so good, wheres FF6 CG movie? Oh thats right, noone played RPG's until FF7 came out.
It doesnt matter if you like another game, FF7 brought RPG to the masses. Everyone was playing their N64 prior to FF7 release. FF7 showed the capabilitys of the PSX hardware, and the rest is history.

Agreed.. the art alone IMO is genious... esp for its time.

I haven't played a Final Fantasy game since FF8, but I can say 7 was much better then that one. I don't know why, but it might have to do with the time 7 was released, and blowing away many people's expectations, etc.

it was one of the first rpgs for me and the storyline draws you in... the character development is also in depth... overall, i find it hard for many RPGs to draw you into the story... some just carry on for too long for me to care, some go by too quick... and some are just plain dull... ff7 kept it interesting... and carried it through at a decent pace...

i would also like to see it revived on the ps3... with a major overhaul of graphics with everything else the same... would be a real treat

although personally... im not really liking the ff7 compilation... too many and too fast and the change of style is a real killer... woulda been nice to keep the gameplay the same, hike up the graphics and just add in more storyline pre and post ff7

Great RPG's existed before FFVII, but none had the graphics (revolutionary at the time), the music (previous games limited by SNES midi music), and the awesome story line. I think FFVII just made RPG's more mainstream.

But I'll agree, FFVII is my favorite of the series. If they remake it and release it for PS3 and PC I'd be extremely happy (not paying $600 for PS3 hence I want a a PC version) :D Plus the orginal FFVII had a PC version so it's not out of the question.

FFVII and Resident Evil 1 made me a PSOne fan.

Kefka was the most craziest, psychotic villian i've ever encountered

I'm going to have to agree with the comments about it being most people's first RPG and that it was blessed with a great-timed release to coincide with the spike in popularity of the internet.

LeviathanZERO said:
/\

But for me personally, FF6 has the best story of any RPG...ever...therefore it is my favorite. FF6 wasn't revolutionary; it was just an artistic masterpiece.
FF7 was revolutionary.

Cid Highwind > *

Except Celes. Who would pwn you all with her Atma Weapon! :D

Seriously, I thought 6 was better than 7... but yeah, 7 got the best marketing, with the 'new 3D technology' wowing consumers.

I HATED THE STORY OF FF7

that out of the way, i did like how each character was protrayed, except cloud, who to me had almost no character, was just some skinny dude with an oversized sword

sephiroth was cool, and probably one of the coolest super villans of all time because everyone kept encountering him, knew where he was and he stay untouchable till the very end when he tried to make his move by melding with the planet, to me being a super badass getting in touch with the planet and not caring who else is around is awsome, not to mention he made cloud suffer, that alone is worth it (since i never cared for the character).

FF7 being best in the series? i'd say so, i played them all, i liked them all, then FF7 was this huge bombshell unloaded on us, same gameplay, plot lines, etc etc etc, just a SHIT TON OF CG, man when i first got it all i wanted to do was just play it through to watch the cool mini movies, music was bad ass, fighting over and over got tiresom after a while (since the load screen took a few seconds, multiply that by the 30times you have to fight just to move somewhere ... it gets long) but you had pretty crazy music too.

another thing this game introduced was a huge source of underlying stuff you can do, master materia, ultimate weapons, the weapons, certain characters you don't have to have with you to complete the story, final limits, secret materia, 1/32 soldiers... who i only found 4 of, golden chocobo's, this game had alot of replay value, the rest was mostly run through finish and discover the story line

Apart from the 2nd i didn't think any were hard at all, FF7 not hard at all if all you want to do is see the story line and finish the game, but doing stuff like obtaining a golden chocobo, or defeating the weapons, getting clouds ultimate limit at lvl 45, getting aeris' final limit before you goes the way of the dodo.

i think its a fun one, not my favorite game in the past, but its worth it to replay every few years.

I hope this becomes a sticky, I like to know hardforum's opion on this historic game
anyway, the only FF game I played was X-2. I hated that piece of gaming S**t. I just hate the turn based combat. It dove me made. I pefer playing the other Squareenix game ( Kingdom Hearts 2 for one) because of the fast paced combat.

Noobkiller said:
I hope this becomes a sticky, I like to know hardforum's opion on this historic game
anyway, the only FF game I played was X-2. I hated that piece of gaming S**t. I just hate the turn based combat. It dove me made. I pefer playing the other Squareenix game ( Kingdom Hearts 2 for one) because of the fast paced combat.
Ummm, they are all turn-based.
This is a little off topic, but any word on a sequel to Chrono Trigger/Cross?

This is why Final Fantasy VII is/was so special.

It was thematically complicated, graphically advanced, and the storyline was near unparalleled in complexity and length. It was unlike anything games had been before.

phoderpants said:
This is why Final Fantasy VII is/was so special.

It was thematically complicated, graphically advanced, and the storyline was near unparalleled in complexity and length. It was unlike anything games had been before.

Yeah, and don't you love how most of the game was spent in combat with blocky graphics?

Don't get me wrong, I love the game (have it memorized), but I think that Square's advertising practices are atrocious and border on deceitful.

Slartibartfast said:
Yeah, and don't you love how most of the game was spent in combat with blocky graphics?

Don't get me wrong, I love the game (have it memorized), but I think that Square's advertising practices are atrocious and border on deceitful.

I think everyone knew that those were cut scenes when they saw the commercials. But what game had them of that quality before FFVII?

phoderpants said:
I think everyone knew that those were cut scenes when they saw the commercials. But what game had them of that quality before FFVII?

I would disagree. For a lot of non-technical people, the PS1 was their first console, and so they didn't know anything about being able to determine between cutscenes and in-game (the ~250k people who bought FFIII in the US probably did, but wasn't it like 3 million who bought FFVII?).

You are right though, it was still a graphical marvel at the time.

Slartibartfast said:
I would disagree. For a lot of non-technical people, the PS1 was their first console, and so they didn't know anything about being able to determine between cutscenes and in-game (the ~250k people who bought FFIII in the US probably did, but wasn't it like 3 million who bought FFVII?).

You are right though, it was still a graphical marvel at the time.

Yeah, I dunno. I suppose it's moot to argue the point of if most people knew or not. I suppose logic would conclude that a company would try to convey the most beautiful aspects of the game in order to sell it, and in previous games the most beautiful portions were the still art in cut scenes, so it would seem that they would be showing more cut scenes in their commercials as well. But who knows. You and I knew they were cut scenes and that's all the matters. They still gave me a tingle in my balls when I saw 'em, so that's what important. :D

WIKIPEDIA FTW said:
Final Fantasy VII was both a critical and commercial success. It received extremely favorable reviews from many video game magazines—GameFan, for instance, called it "quite possibly the greatest game ever made" [8]—and the game has sold more than 9.70 million!!!! copies worldwide as of December, 2005, earning it the position of the best-selling Final Fantasy title.

I do not view Final Fantasy VII as the greatest RPG of all time, let alone the greatest Final Fantasy of all time (I will arguably give FF VI that title), but it was the one RPG to make console RPGs mainstream and was the first such experience for a lot of people here in the states.

I did like some of the characters, and if anything else, Cid Highwind is one of my most favorite characters in the pantheon of Final Fantasy chars (beaten out by a few others like Cyan and Tifa) - he kicks ass like almost no other. I didn't really like Cloud though, I didn't feel he was very relatable - he had almost no personality. The story was not bad, slightly confusing sometimes, but the art direction was pretty mind blowing because it was pretty much the first RPG to go really cinematic, freed from the 16-bit era. Music was pretty good, I really like Tifa's theme (it's my favorite song on the Piano collections).

Problem is...I hated the other half of the cast - aside from Cid, Tifa, Vincent, and maybe Aeris, I pretty much didn't like anyone else. Cait Sith? Go to hell. Red XIII? Die. Yuffie? Waste of polygons. Sephiroth? I have no clue why so many like him, I don't. Kefka was the ultimate psycho in the FF world.

Oh right, and there's one cutscene toward the last part of the game that most people who have played FF VII consider one of the most beautiful moments in gaming - you'd have to play to know what I'm talking about. My friend said some girls he knew cried when they saw the scene...

Anyway, uh, that's all. :)

(For the record: my favorite RPG of all time? Chrono Trigger, then Earthbound)

This is a little off topic, but any word on a sequel to Chrono Trigger/Cross?

Some time ago, Squaresoft registered the name Chrono Break, but then they never did anything with it and the time has lapsed on that, so don't hold your breath, unfortunately. Though if they ever do make another one, I hope they don't turn it into a character fest like Chrono Cross or Radiata Stories.

Play the game through, actually get into the story (I.E. try to understand it), and get back to me when you're done.

See if you feel the same.

The best thing i like about final fantasy VI was that there was no main character, the entire cast was awesome

FF VI is my favourite as well, I must have gone through it at leat 5 or 6 times and plan to again whenever it gets re-released on a handheld system. I love the battle system, the hidden extras and the open-endedness for the last half of the story. FF VII is good as well, I was hooked on that game but only played it through twice I believe. Played it at lunch, played it after school, day after day and finally beat it at like 1:30AM on a Friday (while ignoring my friend playing computer in the other room I believe).

FF VI was the first one I actually got into, so that's probably why it is my favourite. As it's been mentioned, FF VII was the first 'mainstream' rpg so that is probably why the majority consider it the best.

Final Fantasy 7 is to RPGs, as Halo is to FPS.

Think about that ;D

Honestly though, I dont know why people think the story line is so great. The whole thing was stupid, predictable, and overall cliche. You get to play as a random badass with a mysterious past, up against a rival badass with a mysterious past. And look at the cast of one dimensional supporting characters! We have the black guy, the nice modest girl, the hot girl, etc, etc! Not to mention the terrific names for things such as METEOR, WEAPON, SOLDIER, and whatever else there was. The horrificly bland battle system where all you had to do was keep pressing circle to win pretty much every battle...

Blah. This game annoyed me, as you can tell. Materia was fun at the end though. I liked getting the over powered crap that could beat Sephiroth in one turn.

As some of you have already pointed out, many people enjoyed it because it was their first leap into RPGs. Probably the same reason I love Chrono Trigger and Mario RPG with a passion.

IcedEmotion said:
Would that mean Goldeneye is Final Fantasy 6?
Yeah.

It should be Final Fantasy 7 is to RPGs, as Goldeneye is to FPS.

Halo was late by a generation and still didn't bring anything new to the table.

Halo wasnt about brining new things to the table it was about perfecting past concepts.
As for FF7, i dont think it was bad (slightly annoying) but FF5 and FF8 take the cake IMO.

FFVI is the best Final Fantasy to me. I was actually one of the rare individuals that played VI before VII, and really what I'm about to say is why they didn't need to make an FFVI CG movie and why I think it's the best.

FFVI's entire game felt more complete than any other Final Fantasy ever made. The world was a million times better, and felt a lot better, the characters felt more deep, and the music was all there. Why make an extension movie when they wrapped the game up completely making all gamers satisfied?

I don't care what anybody says, Dancing Mad is WAY better than One Winged Angel

FFVII had more wow factor though, and better minigames, and KILLED in overall character design. The motorcycle Chase scene, sapphire weapon attacking Junon, the death of Aerith/Aeris, and the summons (ESPECIALLY busting your ass to get Knights Of The Round)

Kel-O-Tron said:
FFVI is the best Final Fantasy to me. I was actually one of the rare individuals that played VI before VII, and really what I'm about to say is why they didn't need to make an FFVI CG movie and why I think it's the best.

FFVI's entire game felt more complete than any other Final Fantasy ever made. The world was a million times better, and felt a lot better, the characters felt more deep, and the music was all there. Why make an extension movie when they wrapped the game up completely making all gamers satisfied?

I don't care what anybody says, Dancing Mad is WAY better than One Winged Angel

FFVII had more wow factor though, and better minigames, and KILLED in overall character design. The motorcycle Chase scene, sapphire weapon attacking Junon, the death of Aerith/Aeris, and the summons (ESPECIALLY busting your ass to get Knights Of The Round)
Agreed in full. I guess it just means that I am old that I played FFVI before FFVII? Maybe... :cool:

hehe, kotr... that kicked ass

the minigames were really sweet... the chocobo raising, the choco races, snowboarding... hehe... lots o minigames that were actually fun... unlike so many lame minigames today that are just a waste of space

The worst mini-game of all time is the whole chocobo aspect of FFIX. Sure you get great items but good lord was that a pain in the ass.

I give "best Final Fantasy" a tie between FFVI and FFX. FFVII could have been amazing, but they dropped the ball way too many times (Aeris resurrection, anyone? Or how about Cloud's weird "they implanted me with Zach's memories!" stuff). FFX and FFVI, in contrast, had reasonably tight, understandable plots with good character development. I also find that the graphics in FFVI and FFX aged much better than those in VII - when I saw that "Memories of the Past" feature in FF:AC, I thought I was going to puke.

I'll also hand FFIV the runner-up award, because of its good plot and characters, but it's ultimately too linear and graphically inferior to FFVI to take a tie.

(Darn it, now I feel like replaying them all again!)

-Erwos

Back