Final Decision: LG L246WP vs. Westinghouse L2410NM

Purostaff

Weaksauce
I apologize for making another 24" comparison thread, but I need more inputs after all (and yes I read all the LG vs Westinghouse thread available on the net). I promise I won't make another 24" thread ever again.. for a while :)

Anyways, here's the run down. Just when I'm about to purchase LG L246WP for $469.99 shipped. I somehow ran into Westinghouse L2410NM LCD. The thing is, I could get the Westinghouse for at least $100 cheaper than the LG. Heck, newegg has it for 378.80 shipped shipped at the moment. They both are similar for sure; I looked at some reviews for the WH, and it seems to have lots of unsatisfactory from expert reviewers. Thus, I come to you guys, yet again.

Cliff:

About to buy LG for $469.99
Did some final research and came upon Westinghouse L2410NM
Could save $100+ if I go with WH instead of LG
Need advice :)

Good general comparison link:
http://lcd24-7.info/Compare.aspx

Well I have the LG 246WP-BN so I am biased. There's an interesting review of the Westinghouse here:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/westinghouse_l2410nm

I personally would not go for the Westinghouse. This part would be a deal killer for me:

"But the L2410NM isn’t accommodating in all ways. The screen can’t be raised or lowered and it doesn’t swivel or pivot. And while you can tilt it to and fro, the hinge is so stiff that you must firmly hold down the base to do so. You can adjust the screen’s image only by choosing from Text, Picture, or Economy modes for a slight change in backlight and contrast. Not even brightness can be altered independently."

stay away from the westinghouse- it has very screwed up colors and terribly crushed blacks, not to mention a good bit of input lag

I sold mine and got a Gateway FHD2400

Also consider that the Westinghouse only has a 1 year warranty, so getting some type of extended warranty plan will increase the cost.

I just picked up the L246WP today and couldn't be happier. :) Not sure about the Westy so I can't really comment on it.

Outside the 1 year warranty, the Westy is actually pretty close to LG in my opinion. I previewed both, but went with Westy since I could take it back if there was a problem. I would have been stuck with the LG without much recourse, but that was my situation. The westy stand works fine for me. I adjusted it to my liking and I leave alone. If I needed to make frequent adjustments then I might complain. As far as problems with the HDMI, I have only read of one person who had issues. Check this thread. You will find that most owners of the Westy are pretty happy, some of course have not been. That being said, I probably would have leaned toward the LG if all things were equal just for the 3yr warranty, but I have not regretted my decision to go with the Westy so far. It is nice having the composite and S-Video inputs in case I need them.

I've owned both.

Reasons to go for the Westy
1. Much deeper blacks than the LG.
2. Less glare than the semi-glossy LG.

Reasons to go with the LG
1. Not as much black crush as the Westy.
2. A lot faster than the Westy.
3. More scaling options than the Westy.
4. More adjustable stand than the Westy.
5. Automatically goes in to low power mode when there is no signal, unlike the Westy.
6. No screen door effect in the top right corner like on the Westy.

I have the Westinghouse L2410NM and I tried out the LG L246WP last year, and I remember it quite well. I didn't keep it because I just had some bad luck with dead pixels.

The LG is the better panel, but I'm not sure if it's $150.00 better. The Westy has black crush on HDMI, but not on VGA or component. I compare my 360 output to my BenQ FP241VW and it is equivalent on dark detail, important because I'm playing Condemned 2 right now on the Westy. Same with PS3 on component, no black crush.

I'll break it down on certain merits:

1) Westy has better handling of component. It does NO overscan and works perfectly with 16:9 sources. It also scales 480p/720p up very well, and anti aliases nicely similarly to TVs. LG does about 2% overscan on component.

2) VGA is equivalent. Both look good over VGA and both work properly at most popular resolutions

3) HDMI - The LG handles HDMI a little LESS intelligently, but it has the PC/Video source switch, making it handle PC or Video sources very well. Also if you pick a lower resolution it will give you 1:1 pixel mapping in the OSD. The Westy is a bit more enigmatic on HDMI. PC over HDMI shows black crush, but PS3 less so. Very strange but it seems to auto sense and change the OSD and color depending on PC or Video source. Westy won't go off on power save on HDMI, only VGA.

4) OSD - Both are good, but the LG is easier to access because their buttons are not stupid like the Westy

5) Input lag - LG is half of Westy (16 - 25 vs 32 - 48). If you competitively game and like twitch FPS, the LG is phenomenal. I never felt any mouse lag whatsoever on it. The Westy I feel a touch of it.

6) Panel quality - LG is better. Horizontal gamma shift is less than the Westy, but neither is horrid.

7) BLB - I'd actually give this one to the Westy. The two LGs I tried last year had a bit, and the Westy doesn't have any noticeable

8) Panel uniformity - LG is slightly better.

9) Stand - LG all the way. I desk mounted my Westy for flexibility

A lot depends on your use.

For PC only LG all the way. For PC plus consoles, the Westy rules. No monitor other than the Westy scales up 720p and anti aliases it as well. This is like a larger Westy TV chopped to 24" and with a few inputs missing. 1080i is deinterlaced very well.

For warranty, if you can get the Westy warranty extended I would. These monitors only have the Westinghouse name. They are really made by CMO (Chimei) in China and Westinghouse just slaps their names on it. Apparently their support line shows this as they pretty much blow.

The LG comes with a three year and LG support is pretty good.

That Maximum PC review is wrong, the brightness and contrast controls work fine on the Westy. Maybe they had a pre-release or something.

It is your choice. If I was going for ONE monitor, and I had the choice, I'd give a slight nod to the LG, only if I could take it back as easily for panel issues like dead pixels, as I could the Westy.

Regards,

10e

All I can say is I have 2 Westy's and I'm ok with them. I bought them for $330 each, so I justified any flaw with their pricetag. I was primarily looking for real estate to work with. I also own a NEC 20WGX2 when I need quality viewing.

They serve their purpose well and were much cheaper than the Benq model I had my eye on for the longest time. Having said that, their menu panel selection is absolutely horrible, their stand totally sucks and their lack of a DVI connection is just...stupid.

Again, I knew all these ahead of time, and it was either one 24" Benq or two 24" Westy's, and the size and price won out this time. I would probably get something different if it was my one and only monitor - but that's not the case with me. I now have a small backup "tv" I can use in my livingroom (hooked up to a cable box/dvd player) for when my dying "real tv" has it's final breath and still have a 24" monitor for my computer.

Back