File Server - which route to choose?

DigitalMP

Gawd
I'm trying to decide on the type of file server that I want:

• The D-Link DNS-323
  • A different pre-fabbed model (with or without HDs?)
  • Or to build one on my own.
Basically, I have about 350GB of data that consists of music, video, images, and documents, all on my external enclosure that houses a 400GB Seagate. My main reasoning for a file server is that, along with that I assume I would be able to access these files with a wireless receiver (such as my HP Digital Media Receiver that I've yet to implement) and easily play my music on my stereo downstairs, I would also be able to lock down some directories, but share others (like the music and whatever else) with the other PC on the network (Westell 327W Verizon DSL modem/router).

Additionally, I would like to periodically copy this data in some fashion that I could store it offsite at my parents' house, to address some sort of onsite disaster -- house fire, theft, whatever. Yes, this is all worst-case scenario, but that's why we backup, for what could happen, not what did happen, right?

I've looked at the DNS-323, as specified above. What limits would this include? I'm thinking that I could get two speedy 1TB drives that would suffice for quite a while, as my content doesn't increase at a large per-month/per-year rate. I could RAID 1 these drives to survive a failure of one drive. If the house burned down or was burglarized, I would still have the offsite backup.

I have also thought of remote offsite access, as well as FTP, but those aren't necessary.

I saw the DNS-323 last month on sale for $125, and if drives cost me 150-200 each, I'm only looking at around 500, which isn't bad for a solution of that type.

The offsite backup, obviously, is something I haven't taken too much into account without deciding on a solution, but I could always pop a 1TB UATA drive into my external enclosure. But that would demand copying it, taking it to mom's, then getting it from mom's, copying it, and taking it back there, since I wouldn't want ALL data in one place (in a perfect disaster awareness scenario). But hey, we can't have it all, can we? If we could, I'd just write the data to one of my nifty 1TB platinum DVDs, and take that to mom's...

Also, I would like to point out that, while I am a highly-skilled techie (aren't we all on [H]), I am not well-versed in managing a server OS, or running a Linux OS on a proficient level. On that note, I see that this might have two sides of the coin -- a file server solution with a pre-installed OS and proprietary software, or building a box and installing an OS on my own. The latter of those would be quite the dilemma on whether or not the finished product would be what I am hoping for, based on the above desirables. No matter what, I would like to easily be able to map this from the other machines attached to my router, as well as have my HP Receiver access my music files.

Any input would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

I think you should use an actual computer, put FreeBSD 7 on it and use the ZFS filesystem. Use SAMBA to let Windows devices access it. You can look it up and find out more info. than I will be able to remember here, but here are a few advantages:

-Large userbase (much larger than any network appliance)
-The ability to use RAID-Z (part of ZFS), hardware RAID-5 or 6 or other better RAID levels than 1 (unless you're sure you only need 1TB)
-With more drives in a RAID, you should be able to hit much faster I/O speeds than the D-link
-The ability to upgrade to multiple network interfaces and/or 10Gbit later if you want
-The ability to use the server for multiple purposes. I plan to make a router and fileserver box in one.

Disadvantages:
-Size
-Some might list cost here but if you have an old P3/P4/Athlon box, then it'll be more than enough.
-You said you don't know Linux (and I assume Unix), but it's not that hard to learn and hey, knowing it can be beneficial. It sure looks good on a resume.

Back