File Server Specs

lol i guess my email exchange with areca is all in my head

Definitely wasn't implying that! I would say the odds are it does indeed have problems with the drive and it just shows everyone at areca doesn't know about it but it does give me a very slight small ray of hope that maybe it will work =P

You can read my email exchange with Areca here

I don't have emails from seagate as most of my communication was through web chat and phone.

Definitely wasn't implying that! I would say the odds are it does indeed have problems with the drive and it just shows everyone at areca doesn't know about it but it does give me a very slight small ray of hope that maybe it will work =P

The fact that they don't all know about it quite honestly scares me.

Hmm... if anyone happens to have a 1680-ix, some AS drives and some spare time, it looks like the firmware 4.4.3 is out on Areca's site as of 9/18 here

Yeah I also noticed that and actually PM'd axan about it and emailed areca. And this is just after i canceled my 1680ix-24 and ordered the 1280ML. Man provantage is going to hate me if I have to cancel another order from them.

Get a chance to try the Seagate drives yet axan?

it's still ongoing but so far good, I did 3 drive raid 5 then oce to 4 then oce to 5 drives. No errors or anything so it looks like the ARC-1222 will work with Seagate AS drives just fine

it's still ongoing but so far good, I did 3 drive raid 5 then oce to 4 then oce to 5 drives. No errors or anything so it looks like the 1212 will work with seagate AS drives just fine
You mean the 1222 right? With Seagate 1TB ST31000340AS drives?

Just making sure before I try to do an exchange through eWiz. Inconveniently, my ARC-1220 arrives today...this thread came about a day after I placed my order :rolleyes:

ok new 1680ix firmware + Seagate AS drives = plop

info.jpg

log-resized.jpg

Bah, thanks for trying though; much appreciated. I'm still looking at the 1680ix and the NS drives, the drives are more expensive, but the price of the card compared to a 1280ml is almost the same.

I would say that anyone who has data they really care about on as large of an array as most have on these high port count controllers should be running the NS drives anyway if you consider that they have one tenth of the unrecoverable error rate as the AS drives. The probability of errors on a 10+ drive array using AS terabyte+ drives is quite high, even with RAID6.

Bah, thanks for trying though; much appreciated. I'm still looking at the 1680ix and the NS drives, the drives are more expensive, but the price of the card compared to a 1280ml is almost the same.

If you decide to buy the 1680 pm me, I can save you some $$$

info.jpg

log-resized.jpg

DId you use the new TRANSPORT and 80915 file sets or just the TRANSPORT?

EDIT: Oops, my bad... Pictures did not get loaded at the time when I posted my message.

I have WD7500AYYS drives and an ARC1680ix-24 card. To make things working I had to disable the SATA NCQ support. Have you tried that?

I would say that anyone who has data they really care about on as large of an array as most have on these high port count controllers should be running the NS drives anyway if you consider that they have one tenth of the unrecoverable error rate as the AS drives. The probability of errors on a 10+ drive array using AS terabyte+ drives is quite high, even with RAID6.

I second that, but would say - with 8+ drive array you would start having troubles as vibration tolerance of those AS drives is much lower that those of NS series.

DId you use the new TRANSPORT and 80915 file sets or just the TRANSPORT?

EDIT: Oops, my bad... Pictures did not get loaded at the time when I posted my message.

I have WD7500AYYS drives and an ARC1680ix-24 card. To make things working I had to disable the SATA NCQ support. Have you tried that?

yes I've tried disabling ncq, NCQ is not an issue here.

I'll read your communication with Areca people later today to see if anything there makes any sense to me.
I just got a link to this thread from a guy I know from 2CPU and did not get a chance to read through the entire thread yet.

I'll read your communication with Areca people later today to see if anything there makes any sense to me.
I just got a link to this thread from a guy I know from 2CPU and did not get a chance to read through the entire thread yet.

Lots of good information in this thread. If you're interested in large storage systems, you should also check out the Worklog subforum to Cases and Case Mods. I've been keeping up with the Galaxy and Plutonium projects; very cool stuff.

If you decide to buy the 1680 pm me, I can save you some $$$

Well, I'm not definitely sure since the real things holding me back is the cost of the project (building myself a computer, the storage server and a mythtv frontend all at once) and getting some money I'm owed. I'll still send ya a PM now though. Anywhere I can save money = :cool:

yes sorry i meant 1222, just a typo
Great, thanks again for taking the time to test! Just spoke with eWiz and they are allowing me to return the ARC-1220 with no restocking fee as a result of purchasing the ARC-1222 (essentially an exchange).

Does the retail ARC-1222 come with cables (I'll need SAS to SATA breakouts I guess)? I thought I remember reading somewhere it only came with one cable, and not sure what type...

The ARC-1220 came with eight SATA cables so that's why I was curious. Are AMCC/3Ware cables compatible with Areca cards as well? They're a little less expensive and are the longer length that I need for my case (0.6 meters): http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=CBLSFFCF06

Those cables should work for your card. Also keep in mind, IIRC your card does come with the appropriate cables.

Great, thanks again for taking the time to test! Just spoke with eWiz and they are allowing me to return the ARC-1220 with no restocking fee as a result of purchasing the ARC-1222 (essentially an exchange).

Does the retail ARC-1222 come with cables (I'll need SAS to SATA breakouts I guess)? I thought I remember reading somewhere it only came with one cable, and not sure what type...

The arc-1222 comes with 2 sas to sata breakout cables

@Gambit

I've been re-selling Areca controllers for more than 2 years already and have enough customers at 2CPU. You could get more info about Areca controllers over there. I have posted a lot of fixes for those in need. :)

Could you check what F/W is on the AS drives right now? IIRC, Seagate had AN05 F/W released to fix some issues with these drives. I have a customer who actually used it and fixed all his problems. So, it is not Areca to blame here.

The firmware is SD15, last time I spoke with seagate they told me there is no newer firmware. The AN05 firmware is for NS series drives (ES.2)

Well, I have to correct myself... AN05 was released for NS drives...

The firmware is SD15, last time I spoke with seagate they told me there is no newer firmware. The AN05 firmware is for NS series drives (ES.2)

BTW, have you tested the AS drives by using only 2-3 drives at a time? If so, do they fail also when placed on a solid surface?

yes i did test starting with only 3 drives, and the drives were always mounted in my case. The vibrations (or lack there of) have nothing to do with them failing because the drives work perfectly with ARC1280ML card.

Well, not exactly... Vibrations is something that SAS controllers do not have to deal with as it a given that SAS drives have a built-in mechanism/logic to fight it, whereas only enterprise grade SATA counterparts have something similar. I doubt that Seagate AS drives have a compatibility issues with Intel IOP348, Areca is not the only manufacturer that uses this chip. If it was a widespread plague amongst all controller brands, then I think Seagate would run an extra mile to get it fixed.

Well, not exactly... Vibrations is something that SAS controllers do not have to deal with as it a given that SAS drives have a built-in mechanism/logic to fight it, whereas only enterprise grade SATA counterparts have something similar. I doubt that Seagate AS drives have a compatibility issues with Intel IOP348, Areca is not the only manufacturer that uses this chip. If it was a widespread plague amongst all controller brands, then I think Seagate would run an extra mile to get it fixed.

It's not a vibration issue, it's a widespread compatibility issue.

Back