• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

File Server - Norco 4220 + perc5i ?

DSee

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 31, 2007
Messages
2,175
Hello,

My current file server is powering 8x HDDs using a PERC 5i RAID controller + 2x SFF-8484 to 4-SATA cables.

I've recently acquired a Norco 4220 chassis and it looks like I'll need 2x SFF-8484 to SFF-8087 cables to connect the Norco's backplane to the PERC 5i controller.
The problem is that by doing this I'll only be able to use 8 HDDs.
I'm looking for the cheapest/best way to power 20 HDDs without having to spend a lot of money.

Should I just get rid of the PERC 5i and get a RAID card that supports more drives or would a SAS expander card (HP/IBM) be the best solution?

Also, If I keep my current RAID card and go down that path, what would be the cheapest/best value expander card out there and what cables would be needed to connect 20 HDDs to my PERC 5i?



Thank you.
 
If i recall correctly PERC 5/i doesn't work with HPs SAS expander. Only with Chenbros.
BR10i or m1015 are cheap controllers that are known to work with large variety of expanders.
 
Sorry to bump this,

Does anyone have any input, suggestions, etc?
 
Some questions:
- Do you need more than 8 drives to be part of a RAID array?
- What motherboard are you using?
- Do you actually need a RAID setup?
- What OS are you using?

From the quick google search that I've done, it doesn't look like the Perc 5/i actually supports expanders.
 
Some questions:
- Do you need more than 8 drives to be part of a RAID array?
- What motherboard are you using?
- Do you actually need a RAID setup?
- What OS are you using?

From the quick google search that I've done, it doesn't look like the Perc 5/i actually supports expanders.

1)I don't need more than 8 drives per RAID Array. I'm planning 4-5 drives on RAID5/6 arrays.
2) Motherboard is MSI H61M-P23
3) I would like to have all disks in RAID5/6 setups. I'm probably loading 20x 2TB HDDs (media/streaming files)
4) Currently: Windows Server 2008 R2

It seems like the perc 5i doesn't support expanders, and as you can see my mobo only has 1x pci-e slot...
 
Sorry to bump this old thread but I need help again with this.

I ended up getting a Norco 4224 and keeping the perc 5i for the time being, however I'm running out of space and need to expand it ASAP.

Current Setup:
Case: Norco 4224
MOBO: MSI H61M-P23 (only 1 pci-e slot)
Raid Card: perc 5i
Drives: 6x 2TB (RAID5) + 2x 1TB (RAID1)

I would like to add 6x 1TB (would like to set it up as RAID5) and also have the capability of adding the remaining 10 drives later on.

Options:
1) Get different motherboard w/ more pci-e slots + 2nd perc 5i?
2) Sell perc 5i and buy another RAID controller + SAS Expander?
3) ??

Thanks..
 
I would like to keep it under $500.
To be honest, the less the better. (trying to save money for xmas gifts)
 
In the long run, you're better off with the HP SAS Expander + True hardware RAID card. The ability to hook up to 32 drives or more without replacing parts is a pretty nice feature to have. However that'll cost you close to $600+ based on the prices of the listed compatible RAID cards in the HP SAS Expander thread.

So if you want to stay under $500 or less, your best bet would be to get a new mobo and an additional Perc 5/i. Cheapest mobo I know that has three PCI-E x16 slots:
$123 - Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Intel Z68 mATX Motherboard

Plus a second Perc 5/i. That should total up to around $250 or so.
 
Back
Top