File replication software

a_kraker99

Weaksauce
I am in need of a good file replication software. I want 2 computer to have the same files locally in real time. If I open a document on computer 1 and save the changes it should copy that file to computer b instantly and vice versa. Does anyone know of a good software for this?
Preferably under 50 dollars.

sweet! Any one of those that you would recommend more? They sync instantly right?
I currently have a different program that syncs only Microsoft outlook data but I will have to buy it soon. Do you know of any free or cheap solutions for that?

Share the folder on PC#1

Map the folder to a drive letter on PC#2 and enable off line files.

Will that work for you?

Yes, they sync instantly, even other the internet. I'm not sure about Outlook though.

Met-Al's suggestion is uselessly complicated and not nearly as seemless as Dropbox.

Dropbox seems pretty simple. It looks like it stores the info online as well which is nice. I have read some stuff about syncing outlook pst files. I guess I probably need to keep the specialed software I have because regular syncing utilities cannot interpret what is actually inside the pst file.
Any insight on this?

met-al can I set up offline files for only a particular folder on a mapped drive or does it need to be the entire drive?

It's just on the folder that you map to the drive. You can not sync up outlook PST files due to them being a database. Same goes for .mdb files from Microsoft Access.

Regarding the Offline Files for the shared folder, there are several options for syncing up available. You can sync on log on, log off, network restoration.

Remember, both PC's will need to have user accounts on them for both users if the users are different. You can than give both users access to that shared folder and define permissions from there.

It may or may not be what you need.

Good luck.

EDIT: What are you doing with your PST file that need to keep it synced? Is it your contacts? gmx.com offers free MS Exchange service, see if they offer something that you could use to store your contacts on and then use Outlook to connect to it. We have a corporate Exchange server at work and it's the way to go.. I have all my contacts, calendar, tasks, and email, on my WinMo phone, workstation at work, and at home, all pushed and in sync.

Last edited:
everything. E-mails, calendar, contacts. The program I have right now works awesome but it is about 100 dollars after the trial is up.

Back