filco question

canon.tk

Limp Gawd
I'm currently using an IBM membrane keyboard and I'm looking to upgrade to a much better one. The problem is that I'm not sure which type of switch would be best for me.

I would like something that has a similar feel to it so I'd think a Black Switch would be best but then I read about how the keys are harder to press down. The fingers in my left hand get sore enough as it is mashing a membrane keyboard over and over, not sure if Black switches would make it worse.

So maybe the Browns would be better? But then I really don't want a bump on the keys since I'll primarily be using it to play games.

Really wish I could test them out before I buy!

Cherry MX red switches are linear, but use the same springs as those found in brown switches (less force required).

They're basically the best of both worlds, however as far as I know Filco doesn't use them in any of their keyboards.

My suggestion would be to try a Filco keyboard with black switches and if you find that the actuation force is too high, sell it (they have high resale value) and find a keyboard that has the reds (easier said than done). My guess is that the blacks will be fine.

I have a Filco brown, and the tactile bumps are very slight. Unless you have a *very* light touch you will probably barely notice them, IMHO.

Back