Fidget Spinners Are Now Exploding

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Mothers in Michigan and Alabama have shared similar stories of their bluetooth-enabled fidget spinners that double as speakers catching fire while charging. The Consumer Product Safety Commission says that they are investigating the incidents.

"Bluetooth-enabled fidget spinner" made me cringe as I was typing it. But I guess blowing off a finger would be a pretty quick cure for boredom.

Allums said the spinner had been charging for less than 45 minutes. When she tried to identify the manufacturer of the faulty spinner, the mother only found the words "Made in China" on the box it came in.

Exploding spinners? Hell that would probably make me go buy one. Tried my short experience with spinners. Got a couple and fad died off rather quickly for me. Now if I had one that would explode, that might renew my interest! Or I guess I could take one of mine, strap a cherry bomb on it and give it a whirl.

I remember slap bracelets from the mid-90's.
And what about knocker (not THOSE knockers) from the '70s?

clackersbb.jpg

Okay, most called them clackers but knockers is much more fun to say... They were taken off the market because they could explode (shatter) when used vigorously. No Ben-Wa jokes please. :D

If your fidget spinner requires charging, you are a tool and missed the entire point of them. Mine is nothing more than a piece of machined aluminum and a high quality German bearing. I built it and had it long before this stupid fad. Now I can't bring it out without some clown wanting to show me their piece of Chinese garbage.

And what about knocker (not THOSE knockers) from the '70s?

clackersbb.jpg

Okay, most called them clackers but knockers is much more fun to say... They were taken off the market because they could explode (shatter) when used vigorously. No Ben-Wa jokes please. :D

I had several pairs of "Klick Klacks" like the ones pictured. When you're learning how to play with them and hit your wrist, you swore you broke it, it was THAT painful! And yes they were prone to shattering/exploding and that wasn't no joke!

Here I thought a fidget spinner is a piece of plastic and some bearings. What's electronics doing in these things? WTF.

So the people that spend $3.99 on a low quality product that's built as cheaply as humanly possible by 7 year olds are surprised when it explodes due to poor design/materials?

/insert nelson.haha.jpg

Am I the only one that thought a spinner that runs on bluetooth should be CHARGED by induction (of the spinning)? Missed opportunity.

I was picturing some kid "charging" his spinner by some assisted means and blowing off his hand or something....

LMAO my mom works at an elementary school and they had to ban them because the "diverse" kids were tying strings through them and using them as weapons.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
My kids love fidget spinners. None of theirs are battery operated. I gotta say - these things are annoying. Nothing like driving down the road with kids in the back playing with these. Zzzzzz....Zzzzz...

Cruising on my hoverboard while talking to my peeps with my Note 7 with the fidget spinner in my off hand ...what could go wrong?

Basically this.

This is just a bearing axle yoyo without any of the challenge of putting it on a string. Yawn.

ycEG1K2.gif

Haha nice and simple!
I still have some fancy ratchet mechanism yo-yo from the 90s laying around somewhere, Yomega Brain.
Pretty neat concept. Not neat when the ratchet didn't engage and it smashed back into your hand lmao

Brain.jpg

Haha nice and simple!
I still have some fancy ratchet mechanism yo-yo from the 90s laying around somewhere, Yomega Brain.
Pretty neat concept. Not neat when the ratchet didn't engage and it smashed back into your hand lmao

View attachment 29199

Yeah, that was a cheap gimmick, like most of Yomega. More expensive ($10-20 more) bearing yo-yos tend to respond better. I've found quite a few that I like.

But I agree, I'm a bigger fan of fixed-axle.

like this
I remember when the wrist slap bands had the metal strips inside, and when their outer mesh would fray, kids were getting their wrists slit by the 'snappers'. Today I think they are just made of some plastic rubber crap, but back in the day you would accidentally end your life with one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slap_bracelet

I remember when the wrist slap bands had the metal strips inside, and when their outer mesh would fray, kids were getting their wrists slit by the 'snappers'. Today I think they are just made of some plastic rubber crap, but back in the day you would accidentally end your life with one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slap_bracelet

Yeah, I remember having one of these. I don't remember why. There were better things to play with when bored in class, like your watch band. These were much noisier.

They also got banned pretty quick after some complaints of them rusting and requiring tetanus shots when they wounded you.

Also, as we're in throwback mode, why the hell not?

Cry-Baby.png

Last edited:
like this
LMAO my mom works at an elementary school and they had to ban them because the "diverse" kids were tying strings through them and using them as weapons.

My son was watching some Youtube videos the other day, and some jackass had bonded some razor blades to each of the axes...

Not sure how many of you are still in school out there, but I used to play Pic Tac Toe (tm) with my stoner friend Joe. We would draw elaborate ways of trying to kill each other using one of the 9 squares on a grid of binder paper. Highly enjoyable, and killing off your classmates with sharks, nails, STDs, and teacher bukkake fests never gets old.

Anyone remember Blast Balls?
a529e253f170fee30f4f09e988ce1d8a.jpg

We had some like this that would snap when you slammed them together. I always thought they used some sort of Gunpowder on them
37d9bb817a3940c40583a16c6cfd25da--toys-from-the-s-childhood-toys.jpg

My nephew has one of these stupid things and messes with it nonstop. I remember having some yo-yo's that would hold my attention for about 10 minutes then on to something else. Not so with these kids...

Give those kids some hammers and nails and get them started building the mexico wall, LOL

Anyone remember Blast Balls?

We had some like this that would snap when you slammed them together. I always thought they used some sort of Gunpowder on them

Those balls were awesome, would always pick them up when I saw them at the dollar store as a kid. Damn pussification of America, can't even have toys inside my chocolate anymore.

Back