• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

FFVII on the PSN!

bboynitrous

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Feb 29, 2004
Messages
2,514
Anyone else pick this up? I saw it in the Sony E3 thread and had no idea until about 5 pages into it. I am downloading it right now. FINALLY! I'm very excited. I wonder what it's going to do to those ebay market disks. Interesting.
 
ya, i heard them announce it during the Sony conference, got it on the psp as of half hour ago.
 
How big and how much is it? I did not see it on the PSN last night?
 
I looked and the psn store hadn't been updated for me this morning. How do you get to it to buy things from PC? I can't find it.
 
Bought it last night, but haven't had a chance to run through it again. :D
 
Did they update the graphics at all? I remember being very thankful that my screen was only 3" or so playing it on my hacked PSP last year.
 
No graphics update or anothing. It's a straight rip and loads perfectly with my last save that were from discs. That's perfectly okay with me!
 
Bought and playing right now. I HATED FF7 when I played it last, however I'm hooked right now. Can't put the freaking controller down.
 
Bought and playing right now. I HATED FF7 when I played it last, however I'm hooked right now. Can't put the freaking controller down.
The first time I played through on the PS1 I didn't do so hot and it became extremely difficult because I didn't properly level up my characters and wasn't extremely familiar with RPGs. Just make sure you alternate characters every so often to get them evenly leveled-up for when you get stuck with specific ones and level up your materia and it'll be easy going. My favorite materia are the ones that give you health when someone uses fire/water/etc to attack you, I almost feel guilty using that stuff. :D

This last time I played through I've been kicking major ass. I kinda wish I had a PS3 but my old PS2 still does the job.
 
The first time I played through on the PS1 I didn't do so hot and it became extremely difficult because I didn't properly level up my characters and wasn't extremely familiar with RPGs.


Ditto. I rushed through it and couldn't finish the last battle, and was too lazy to back track all the way back.. Watched the ending on my friend's save instead.. I'm going to load this on my PSP, so when I get interrupted, I can just "sleep" my PSP.
 
I have to buy a new memory stick :( I played 45 mins on ps3 last night. I think it still holds up to current games. but ya my card is only 1 gig and the game is 1.2 or so. Have to get a 4 gig one for like 10 bucks somewhere.
 
yeah. i got it too. i still have my old memory card for my ps1 with my saved games. All my characters were maxed out with there best weapon.now i need to get the usb to ps1/2 memory card reader and transfer my saves over.....maybe now i can beat the underwater beast or the sob in the desert
 
Heres a somewhat related question:

Can you save PS1 save files on the internal hard drive, or do I need to buy an oldschool memory stick? I might get this :).
 
Heres a somewhat related question:

Can you save PS1 save files on the internal hard drive, or do I need to buy an oldschool memory stick? I might get this :).

PS3 uses virtual memory cards that run on the hard drive. no memory card required.
 
You can save on the internal hard drive. This game is seriously ADDICTIVE. Mostly because you have to find a save point to save.........

Couldn't stop playing all last night. Put in about 4 hours........this is a much better purchase then when I bought Fl0wer.
 
aw sweet, to bad i'm selling my ps3 and I beat FF7 on the pc few weeks ago :(
 
Any of you guys that played this, how does it look? I mean, I know it's a straight rip, but what i'm curious is if i'm using a widescreen TV, will it let me stretch it, just like if I was playing the disc? Or doe sit add "bars" on the sides? Only curious, because the trailer had bars.

I've got the original discs. (from FFVII launch day way back when no less!)
But I ,may just buy it on PSN and play it again, for the hell of it. I'm sure the load time is WAY better going into battles, etc....
 
I'm not sure on the load times honestly, but they seem to be similar to having the discs. The game runs in 4:3 and it does allow you to stretch the game like having the disc or any other PSX games you have. You can put on smoothing, stretch it on your widescreen -I do this and it looks pretty good- or leave it squared with the boxes on the left and the right.
 
Any of you guys that played this, how does it look? I mean, I know it's a straight rip, but what i'm curious is if i'm using a widescreen TV, will it let me stretch it, just like if I was playing the disc? Or doe sit add "bars" on the sides? Only curious, because the trailer had bars.

I've got the original discs. (from FFVII launch day way back when no less!)
But I ,may just buy it on PSN and play it again, for the hell of it. I'm sure the load time is WAY better going into battles, etc....

it looks good upscaled to 1080i/p. widescreen doesnt look out of aspect much at all.

obviously it still looks like the ps1 version graphically, but the game surprisingly still holdsup against the test of time. Its as engrossing as it was years ago.
 
Any of you guys that played this, how does it look? I mean, I know it's a straight rip, but what i'm curious is if i'm using a widescreen TV, will it let me stretch it, just like if I was playing the disc? Or doe sit add "bars" on the sides? Only curious, because the trailer had bars.

I've got the original discs. (from FFVII launch day way back when no less!)
But I ,may just buy it on PSN and play it again, for the hell of it. I'm sure the load time is WAY better going into battles, etc....

Looks great on the PSP.

It's still FF VII on the PS3 and it's a little uglier than I remember. :D

Just made it across the ocean for the first time at work last night.
 
I haven't really wanted to download any of the PS3/PSP games from the store until now. Are the save files interchangeable between the systems or does it depend on the game? I just want to be able to keep the one save game. Thanks.
 
you can copy paste save data from psp <-> ps3 goes bothways
 
Last edited:
I'm not sure on the load times honestly, but they seem to be similar to having the discs. The game runs in 4:3 and it does allow you to stretch the game like having the disc or any other PSX games you have. You can put on smoothing, stretch it on your widescreen -I do this and it looks pretty good- or leave it squared with the boxes on the left and the right.

Why would you distort an image. OAR are always the best.
 
Why would you distort an image. OAR are always the best.

If you had a normal CRT tv it might.I like it to fill my whole screen no matter what. Some games can look bad but FFVII looks great to me. It's really subjective to the user which one looks better. I personally don't have a huge TV so cutting off huge boxes on my already small (27" LCD) widescreen tv doesn't help me.
 
For the ones that played the game on an HDTV (specially 40"+), could you fill the screen and still get a decent picture?

Also, to whoever is interested in the MGS series, I think MGS1 will be released on June 16th.
 
If you had a normal CRT tv it might.I like it to fill my whole screen no matter what. Some games can look bad but FFVII looks great to me. It's really subjective to the user which one looks better. I personally don't have a huge TV so cutting off huge boxes on my already small (27" LCD) widescreen tv doesn't help me.

You aren't seeing more of the game so its pointless. Plus you're distorting the image which makes it look even worse. Im not basing this off my opinion. I am basing it off what the tv is actually doing. You can like it thats not a problem. But the fact remains. You aren't seeing more and are distorting the image. Most 16:9 tvs have 4:3 aspect controls. Plus the ps3 has it.
 
You aren't seeing more of the game so its pointless. Plus you're distorting the image which makes it look even worse. Im not basing this off my opinion. I am basing it off what the tv is actually doing. You can like it thats not a problem. But the fact remains. You aren't seeing more and are distorting the image. Most 16:9 tvs have 4:3 aspect controls. Plus the ps3 has it.

i think the worst part of him stretching to wide screen (and liking it!) is that he forces you into his house and makes you watch him play it and comment on how awesome it looks...
 
i think the worst part of him stretching to wide screen (and liking it!) is that he forces you into his house and makes you watch him play it and comment on how awesome it looks...

Why would you say such a dumb comment? Why?
 
I bought it when it came out on PSN a while back. It's nice being able to transfer it to the PSP for handheld play, though I don't care for the widescreen. When running it on the PS3 though, it just looks horrid. I hooked my laptop up to my tv and ran epsxe with Pete's latest OpenGL 2 plug in and it looks amazingly better. Still, it was nice to load up all of my ten year old saves and start playing from my last new game. :p
 
Oh, I need to buy this, I had heard something about it coming out but I didn't know it was ready and available now! Great news.
 
I'm playing through right now ;). On a 52" widescreen LCD, its really not bad at all. Sure, the graphics aren't anything like what the PS3 pumps out, but they don't look that bad.
 
I'm playing through right now ;). On a 52" widescreen LCD, its really not bad at all. Sure, the graphics aren't anything like what the PS3 pumps out, but they don't look that bad.

Not to mention graphics can be forgiven when the game is just so enjoyable to play.
 
No graphics update or anothing. It's a straight rip and loads perfectly with my last save that were from discs. That's perfectly okay with me!

Damn, I was hoping there would be. Especially after sony released the FF7 startup video with the graphics updated playing on the PS3. They really need to do it, considering this is arguably one of, if not the best RPGs ever.
 
Back
Top