FF VII remake?

I'm pretty pumped about this. I really hope its released for the PC eventually (or I just might have to buy a PS4).

Either way, Square better not fuck this up and turn it into a button masher like FF15. I predict a lot of butt-hurt and backlash if this isn't turn based (And doesn't use the materia system)

ummm a remake is a remake, what would make you think theyre going to change the entire combat system?

ummm a remake is a remake, what would make you think theyre going to change the entire combat system?
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this is going to be a remake in the truest sense of the word. From the short teaser it almost sounds like they're even altering the story.

If this were to be a simple remaster then I would agree that there would be no changes to combat. But the game is still at least 2 years from release if the rumors of the FFVII anniversary are true. No real point in speculating at all, just yet.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this is going to be a remake in the truest sense of the word. From the short teaser it almost sounds like they're even altering the story.

If this were to be a simple remaster then I would agree that there would be no changes to combat. But the game is still at least 2 years from release if the rumors of the FFVII anniversary are true. No real point in speculating at all, just yet.

yeah i was thinking the word "remake" is bit more subjective to what they could really be doing in terms of alterations

Because Square is a much different company today than it was back in the mid-90's. Going by the vibe of the trailer, this remake doesn't seem like it's going to be an exact 1:1 translation but instead more of a retelling of that story (I could be wrong on that, but we shall see). If that's the case, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they use a more 'modern' final fantasy combat system.... I really hope that I'm wrong but I doubt I will be, unfortunately.

Because Square is a much different company today than it was back in the mid-90's. Going by the vibe of the trailer, this remake doesn't seem like it's going to be an exact 1:1 translation but instead more of a retelling of that story (I could be wrong on that, but we shall see). If that's the case, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they use a more 'modern' final fantasy combat system.... I really hope that I'm wrong but I doubt I will be, unfortunately.

Please God no.

I MISS the old system.

My body is ready. I remember making a guide on chocobo breeding and giving it to friends.

RL Gamefaqs, baby lol

... the chocobos...

May god have mercy on all the souls of the ones I put out of their misery.

But I beat that freaking ruby weapon.

It was the opposite for me. Ruby was cake, only beat Emerald once in my 7 or 8 play throughs.

I beat them both. It required a lot of time investment. You needed the Copy materia and several copies of it so you could chain multiple casts of KotR.

I beat them both. It required a lot of time investment. You needed the Copy materia and several copies of it so you could chain multiple casts of KotR.

I did that for Ruby, well along with the double or triple casting one materia. Somehow when I was a teenager I had the patience to watch Knights do their thing over and over and over and over until Ruby was dead. Never had a problem with Emerald.

I did that for Ruby, well along with the double or triple casting one materia. Somehow when I was a teenager I had the patience to watch Knights do their thing over and over and over and over until Ruby was dead. Never had a problem with Emerald.

A Friend did Emerald with master counter mime's on all his characters then w-summoned Knights of the Round twice. As I recall, that was the 3-4 round battle that took a good half hour to finish, most of it was hands off. Emerald would do his little attack all beam and it's controller on the floor time.

A Friend did Emerald with master counter mime's on all his characters then w-summoned Knights of the Round twice. As I recall, that was the 3-4 round battle that took a good half hour to finish, most of it was hands off. Emerald would do his little attack all beam and it's controller on the floor time.

I do remember making a sandwich once while fighting emerald. :p

Fighting Ruby Weapon: Enter the fight with two party members already dead. Have W-Summon + Mime and then cast Knights of The Round. Go have a cup of coffee, watch an episode of American Dad or something.

Ruby casts Ultima as retribution, hits remaining party member for 9998hp and then drops dead.

*sip* that's good coffee :D

Yeah I remember Emerald being mostly hands off. Something like chaining w-summon KOTR to auto-revive on 2 people and equipping them in a way they were guaranteed to die on each turn, so auto revive 2x summon would kick in. Cloud would be the only one I left alive, but he too had some auto summon or heal ability, that I cant recall right now. And it just went on and on for like 25 minutes till Emerald died. For some reason I cant remember if I beat Ruby...
I love the materia system just because of these ultimate abilities, you really need to work hard to find/get in the game, and how you can chain them into some insane automated attacks.
If they change ATB, ok, whatever, but please leave the materia system intact.

Gonna just take a week's vacation to play this when it comes out. Will be wearing high powered nostaliga goggles.

Gonna just take a week's vacation to play this when it comes out. Will be wearing high powered nostaliga goggles.

I've never played it (was never a big FF fan) but I did swear to play it if they ever decided to remake it with modern graphics. So I'll order it for sure this time around, man of my word.

I've never played it (was never a big FF fan) but I did swear to play it if they ever decided to remake it with modern graphics. So I'll order it for sure this time around, man of my word.

I actually think FFX is the best Final Fantasy game along with Xenogears, this game comes in 3rd for me.

However, a full remake with high powered graphics and some translation fixed could propel this into first place.

Wasn't a huge fan of FFX, I think at that point I was just burnt out by long JRPGs (I don't think I played a JRPG again until DQ7 some years later). Although the cleavage that black mage sported was very impressive.

I liked FFX's intro screen. My mind seems to have blotted out everything else though.

Speaking of Xenogears - which I've tried twice to complete but each time got burnt out near the end of the first disc - does anyone know a FFVII treatment similar to this:

http://whatdoesgodneedwithastarship.com/xenodurr1.html

Why yes there is....... actually nevermind there isn't one. For some reason they have done every game except VII, which is kinda strange... But here is an entertaining one for VI. You can the seach on the site to find other games.
http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VI-(by-Blastinus)/

The Chrono Cross one is soooo long, but oh so entertaining. (Especially since that game is stupid boring until the very end. At least the music was incredible.)

I liked FFX's intro screen. My mind seems to have blotted out everything else though.

Speaking of Xenogears - which I've tried twice to complete but each time got burnt out near the end of the first disc - does anyone know a FFVII treatment similar to this:

http://whatdoesgodneedwithastarship.com/xenodurr1.html

It's a long, long game. I think a normal playthrough is about 90 hours. I've got to the very end twice. TWICE. Yet, I've never completed it. Each time I got to the final boss, something would happened.

A) Parasite Eve bug erased my memory card
B) I was robbed

I started working on a third playthrough a few years ago, and, like you, I got burnt out around the end of the first disc. I actually made it to the second disc, but only the beginning. The problem is, the first disc is the best part. The second disc is an unfinished game. It's a mixture of small gameplay bits and heavy, heavy dialog dumps. It's a dense read.

Still love the game, and it is partly responsible for my eventual Athiesm. As stupid as that sounds. Not that the game really is that or even promotes it...it just made me start asking questions. Brilliant game.

The problem with Xenogears is the same as with disc 3 of FF7. Square had no idea what to do with the rest of the space, so they just tried to wrap things up and were a little clumsy about it. However, the final battles were cool.

The problem with Xenogears is the same as with disc 3 of FF7. Square had no idea what to do with the rest of the space, so they just tried to wrap things up and were a little clumsy about it. However, the final battles were cool.

Actually, the dev team ran out of money for Xenogears.

FFVII just had to use the third disc because of space issues. It was cheaper to just give it a third disc, than to optimize it. Those video files ate up space.

I would love this. I have played FF since the original on NES, but suprisingly only did 1 play through 7, compared to like 60 play throughs on 6 hehe. I would totally be down for this.

...also....please make another good 2d anime suikoden. 1 and 2 own, rest are shit. off tipic >x)

I would love this. I have played FF since the original on NES, but suprisingly only did 1 play through 7, compared to like 60 play throughs on 6 hehe. I would totally be down for this.

...also....please make another good 2d anime suikoden. 1 and 2 own, rest are shit. off tipic >x)

Suikoden V is really good actually. It just takes 3 hours to get going.

No shit? I actually did not know that. The final battles on Disc 2 was hard as fuck.

No shit? I actually did not know that. The final battles on Disc 2 was hard as fuck.

Takahashi mentioned it in some interview recently.
Yeah, disc 2 goes all boss rush on you. Every time the Elements showed up I knew a 30 min battle was about to commence. Especially the one time Ramsus shows up after fighting those 4. That game was all about "Oh you beat that guy? Now fight ME!"

I loved FF7 and the remake looks great, but at the same time I started hating the FF series as I went through them and stopped at 10 IIRC. I always liked the FF games in the beginning to middle, but the end were just time sucking horrid battles. It was like 45 minute fights, and one mistake and it was back to square one. I don't think I have the patience anymore to play games like that. It's always the same also, Boss_Name (10min fight), cutscene, Boss_Name_part2 (10min), cutscene "now fight my ultimate form", Boss_Name_Final (10 min), cutscene "no really this is my ultimate ultimate form", then finally Boss_Name_Final_Part2 (15 min). I cringe just thinking about it.

Just read they have turned this into an episodic thing "in order to not cut content." PR speak for "we can make more money if we split the game into 3 parts." Not that I'm surprised, but I'm still disappointed.

Just read they have turned this into an episodic thing "in order to not cut content." PR speak for "we can make more money if we split the game into 3 parts." Not that I'm surprised, but I'm still disappointed.

Did they say they were charging it that way because episodic games are still counted as one game.

Bleh... they officially ruined it with a real time combat system like that instead of something turn-based...
If you're going to do a game remake, don't turn it into a completely different game!

No one is going to make a $50-60 million turn-based RPG. Besides, no it did not ruin anything. As long as the combat system they use is good then it doesn't matter. Why are people so hung up on the idea that it has to be EXACTLY the same and outright refuse to even think about them making changes? I have never heard anyone praise FF7 for it's combat system. It's one of the things people tend to completely gloss over when they're masturbating over how good they believe the game is.

Did they say they were charging it that way because episodic games are still counted as one game.

Maybe they'll have a 'season pass' option.

I guess if there was any series that would be suitable for episodic-style it would be Final Fantasy. I mean, I'm sure the budget on these things are astronomical, and releasing it in multiple parts would help alleviate costs. Gameplay-wise, they're fairly linear to begin with too. Just not a big fan of it. When I play a JRPG, I want to binge on the content Netflix-style.

And, I'm sure once all of the episodes are released they'll release a 'Complete Edition' of the game - that's what I'll be waiting for. Unless the reviews come back saying that the individual episodes are worth it.

Back