Fermi refresh coming: GTX 460

I'm not convinced, personally i won't be looking at fermi until they either do a 475/485 refresh or one of those new galaxy cards comes out
 
lol a gtx 460 is considered a refresh because they added a 4 to the gpu code name? lol what a joke..
 
lol a gtx 460 is considered a refresh because they added a 4 to the gpu code name? lol what a joke..
You'll notice that the article itself actually says nothing about a 'refresh', because this isn't a refresh. Technically it should be a derivative, the first, and most powerful derivative (similar to how Juniper is to Cypress). It's just a shrunken down part with the disabled bits taken out of the design, rather than merely disabled. This is a good sign, a sign that at least NVidia is going to release some mid-range parts into the stream sometime soon, and hopefully retire the venerable G92.
 
So it's basically a GTX275 that uses more power? Oh joy.

But it has a higher number on it and will cost more.....

I'll take 3!


I'm not even going to put the rolleyes in this because if you think I was serious for one second you don't know me. I'm the guy that cases cost too much for folding boxen and a shelf is perfectly fine.
 
If Stanford ever gets the ATI GPU stuff working and optimized, I am curious to see how this would totally screw the "other" team up considering that we have a heck of a lot of gamers on the team who use ATI video cards. I have two 5850 BE's, but it makes no sense to bring them online as the power draw for a mere 4000ppd/gpu would be so wrong. I know that fixing these issues with A3 bigadv are top priority, but I really hope that they bring something for us ATI folks before the weather gets cold again.
 
So it's basically a GTX275 that uses more power? Oh joy.

no... its a GTX275 with dx11 support so it makes up for the excessive power usage.. :p or at least nvidia thinks it does..

But it has a higher number on it and will cost more.....

I'll take 3!


I'm not even going to put the rolleyes in this because if you think I was serious for one second you don't know me. I'm the guy that cases cost too much for folding boxen and a shelf is perfectly fine.


LIEZ! you werent being sarcastic.. i know you have 3 of them on pre-order.. lol jk :p
 
But they are all shiny and have that new videocard smell. So what if the lights in the house dim when I fold and I can use the exhaust from my case to dry my laundry.
 
If Stanford ever gets the ATI GPU stuff working and optimized, I am curious to see how this would totally screw the "other" team up considering that we have a heck of a lot of gamers on the team who use ATI video cards. I have two 5850 BE's, but it makes no sense to bring them online as the power draw for a mere 4000ppd/gpu would be so wrong. I know that fixing these issues with A3 bigadv are top priority, but I really hope that they bring something for us ATI folks before the weather gets cold again.

Vijay has said on his blog this last week that they are "actively working on the OPENCL client with both ATI & Nvidia". To me it sounds like the current code is still in an alpha state but is making slow progress. And yes i agree, if they can get ATI 4xxx/5xxx cards to fold properly it would royally screw you know who.

Vijay's blog:- http://folding.typepad.com/news/2010/05/gpu3-nvidia-open-beta-test-update.html
 
Vijay has said on his blog this last week that they are "actively working on the OPENCL client with both ATI & Nvidia". To me it sounds like the current code is still in an alpha state but is making slow progress. And yes i agree, if they can get ATI 4xxx/5xxx cards to fold properly it would royally screw you know who.

Vijay's blog:- http://folding.typepad.com/news/2010/05/gpu3-nvidia-open-beta-test-update.html

I didn't realize that the PD had a blog. Thanks for the link as i'm going to bookmark it once i'm done typing this. I just hope it comes out as the weather cools down again as that is always the best time to do things that will add a lot of heat. However the ppd averages would have to be very significant as GPU folding really isn't for me due to the power draw.
 
I didn't realize that the PD had a blog. Thanks for the link as i'm going to bookmark it once i'm done typing this. I just hope it comes out as the weather cools down again as that is always the best time to do things that will add a lot of heat. However the ppd averages would have to be very significant as GPU folding really isn't for me due to the power draw.

I will agree that gpu's do suck a lot of power, however my folding rig which mainly GPU gives me 30k PPD on 580 watts so thats 51PPD/w.

Regarding the blog, no problem , its not on the main stanford site which is probably why people miss it
 
Back
Top